PDA

View Full Version : Poisoning a weapon

Jsuatac
November 3rd, 2015, 02:27
Hi,

First time poster :)

I am trying to figure out how to add poison damage to a weapon. Anyone have any ideas?

In this case it would be Imp poison (3d6 damage, DC11 CON save for half) and it lasts for 1 minute.
(I am using the 1 minute rule as per Sage Advice where the poison lasts on the weapon for each attack during the whole minute)

Anyone know how to do this or is there a place I can go to watch/read up on it?

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2015, 13:04
Jsuatac,

Greetings and welcome to the forums and to Fantasy Grounds.

What you need is to set up an effect to handle the saving throw and a second effect to apply the damage. (DMG: 3d6 poison; set the duration to a minute and the targeting to SELF). You might want to have a read of this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet) and there's some more information here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) and literally dozens of videos here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Videos).

LordEntrails
November 4th, 2015, 23:41
I like the automated way Zacchaeus mentions, and its what I use if a PC or monster is going to regularly use poison.

But don't forget, if it's a one time thing (i.e. a single potion or such) then just do it manually. i.e. aftCon save, if they fail then roll the poison damage, drag it to the modifier field and then roll the weapon damage as normal and it will add the damage. Don't forgot if the target has resistance, but if you only need to do this a few times, may not be worth setting up a effect or a special weapon action.

Jsuatac
December 18th, 2015, 04:09
Thanks!! :)

arcanjl
February 18th, 2017, 22:31
Did you ever figure out how to do it? The best I came up with was make a spell that you have to roll con, then dam if failed. I know there has to be a better way.

Zacchaeus
February 18th, 2017, 22:42
The answer is in post #2 above. What am I missing?

arcanjl
February 19th, 2017, 14:29
You probably did not miss anything, it's me being new at this.
I don't know how to set up an effect to check a saving throw. And then I also don't know how to set it up to do a second effect if the first one is true.
What I ended up doing was copying a spell that does a save, then dam. So... from doing that I gather that you cannot have it save check, and if true roll damage, in one action.

Trenloe
February 19th, 2017, 21:44
from doing that I gather that you cannot have it save check, and if true roll damage, in one action.
Correct, Fantasy Grounds is specifically designed that way. It allows the GM to do a final confirmation before the result of an action is applied. Just like playing face-to-face, for example: roll to hit, GM confirms hit, roll for damage. There are always times when this is needed - the player/GM forgot to apply all effects/modifiers before rolling, the GM has something secret he doesn't want the players to know, etc..

Zacchaeus
February 19th, 2017, 22:12
If you follow the links in post #2 it'll take you to the Wiki page or to videos which explains how to set up actions in the actions tab for just such things as this.