PDA

View Full Version : Unearthed Arcana - Can we Share?

warderbrad
November 2nd, 2015, 19:39
Hello all,
I have been a recent convert to FG and find myself having bought all the 5E books that are available and am anxious for the DMG and SCAG. I am planning on running the Abyss campaign and find myself really wanting to use some of the UA articles which appear on the WOTC website. I can understand why info from the main rulebooks cannot be shared, however due to the free nature of the UA material is it allowed to be shared? If so is there a repository of modules which have already been created so I am not "reinventing the wheel".

I thank you all in advance for your help.

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2015, 20:25
Free material doesn't necessarily mean free to distribute. WotC still maintain the copyright and don't allow redistribution of their material. The terms of service of the Wizards website only allow the use of material on the website for personal use. So, it can't be redistributed. See "General Terms" item #6 here: https://company.wizards.com/policies/web/tou

warderbrad
November 3rd, 2015, 19:26
I can understand and respect this answer. I am left to wonder if the users were to submit their work to the devs here if they could submit it to WOTC and get permission to make it available as a free download. That should be in keeping with the terms and spirit of the TOS and make it easier on us DMs. Just a thought.

Zeus
November 3rd, 2015, 19:46
I can understand and respect this answer. I am left to wonder if the users were to submit their work to the devs here if they could submit it to WOTC and get permission to make it available as a free download. That should be in keeping with the terms and spirit of the TOS and make it easier on us DMs. Just a thought.

We already have a UA module I prepared some time ago but hasn't been released, it contains 6+ articles from the website so probably needs updating. Last time I checked I think we were asked to hold off from releasing it. I'll poke Doug for an update.

warderbrad
November 3rd, 2015, 20:35
I appreciate so fast an answer. Once you said that I noticed it in your signature. I wish I had seen it earlier as it would have kinda answered the question for me. Thanks for all you do Zeus.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2015, 21:55
I appreciate so fast an answer. Once you said that I noticed it in your signature. I wish I had seen it earlier as it would have kinda answered the question for me. Thanks for all you do Zeus.

Note, he's trying to pad out his list by including the DMG twice :)

IchiSkaar
April 16th, 2016, 17:12
Any update on this module? Thanks

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2016, 17:50
Isn't this the Elemental Evil Player's Companion? If so it's available in the store and on Steam.

kylania
April 16th, 2016, 20:36
Isn't this the Elemental Evil Player's Companion? If so it's available in the store and on Steam.

Nope, he means this stuff: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles-tags/unearthed-arcana

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2016, 21:03
Ah, ok. Looks like that's DM Guild stuff. You could par5e that if you wanted to, for your own use only of course.

Varsuuk
April 17th, 2016, 22:57
I get that it's DMGuild on PDF, but the OP asked about status because he saw it in Zeus' sig:

FG Project Development
Next Project(s)*: CoreRPG Enhanced Reference Manual
Recently Completed 5E Projects: D&D 5E Forge - in game tool to merge 5E magic items with mundane equipment, 5E DMG, 5E Unearthed Arcana Vol1, 5E EE Player's Companion, 5E Prince of the Apocalypse, 5E Leather Exec Theme, 5E Rise of Tiamat, 5E Hoard of the Dragon Queen (+custom maps), 5E Monster Packs, 5E Monster Manual, 5E Class Packs, 5E Players Handbook, 5E Official Theme, 5E Basic Rules DM, 5E Lost Mine of Phandelver, 5E Basic Rules - Player, 5E Gadzooks Theme, D&D Next Ruleset

Zacchaeus
April 18th, 2016, 12:06
I get that it's DMGuild on PDF, but the OP asked about status because he saw it in Zeus' sig:

FG Project Development
Next Project(s)*: CoreRPG Enhanced Reference Manual
Recently Completed 5E Projects: D&D 5E Forge - in game tool to merge 5E magic items with mundane equipment, 5E DMG, 5E Unearthed Arcana Vol1, 5E EE Player's Companion, 5E Prince of the Apocalypse, 5E Leather Exec Theme, 5E Rise of Tiamat, 5E Hoard of the Dragon Queen (+custom maps), 5E Monster Packs, 5E Monster Manual, 5E Class Packs, 5E Players Handbook, 5E Official Theme, 5E Basic Rules DM, 5E Lost Mine of Phandelver, 5E Basic Rules - Player, 5E Gadzooks Theme, D&D Next Ruleset

Indeed. One can only assume that it was overtaken by events. Although Zeus may have constructed a module permission to publish may well not have been given and then the DMs Guild thing got in the way. I'm just guessing however.