PDA

View Full Version : XML Schema, or Using Excel to Create FG XML Files

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2015, 03:50
So, inspired by my gemstone module, I'm looking to see how I can create a bunch of items in Excel and then export them to the appropriate XML format. But, I've never done something like this. When I try to export to XML from excel, it tells me that I need an XML Schema (xsd) file.

Couldn't find anything in the forums, can anyone help me out here?

damned
November 2nd, 2015, 04:02
you will need to create one based on whatever data you are trying to export...

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2015, 04:09
Any idea, examples, or online reference that gives an example of how to create one?

I kinda have the idea, i.e for items I need the fields; id, ac, bonus, cost, description, isidentified, locked, name, subtype, type, weight. And I can get the formats from the db.xml file, but otherwise I'm ignorant :(

damned
November 2nd, 2015, 04:40
you can take an existing library module (or create one with one or two entries) to determine the structure.
then you can use a reference like this: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/gg469857(v=office.14).aspx or google others to find what you are after....
not necessarily straight forward...

LordEntrails
November 2nd, 2015, 04:50
Thanks damned, that's what I was doing. It really isn't straight forward, thought it should/would be. I think its still worth figuring it out.

LordEntrails
November 10th, 2015, 23:25
FYI, I've figured out how to take an existing xml file and map it in excel and edit it, but I can't (yet) add new lines/entries to it. Only edit those that are already there and then save it back out.