PDA

View Full Version : College network beating the heck out of Tunngle and Hamachi...Halp

Keltyrr
November 1st, 2015, 22:37
Okay so I am the resident GM of our group and I am behind a double router so I have to use a VPN to let people connect to me. I've tried Tunngle and all but one person can connect to me. Hamachi, that person still cannot connect. Hamachi in it's infinite stupidity refuses to give any error message or helpful info where as Tunngle says it can't access the ports needed. The person that is unable to connect is using net in a college dorm. Upon trying to talk with the network admins she ends up getting a long spiel about why they can't do it and it's hard and it's awkward and they pretty much just kept talking and talking until she walked out mid sentence on them.

So, now I am trying to figure out if there is another VPN that is free or near free that will be able to bypass this issue.

Our group is to damn good to risk losing a player at this point.

Nylanfs
November 1st, 2015, 23:30
Solution: Get system admins in on a game with you and they will open the network so they can play. :)

damned
November 1st, 2015, 23:56
Hi Keltyr.
Is your player unable to connect to Hamachi or Tunngle or she can connect but cant connect to Fantasy Grounds once connected to VPN?
It sounds to me like she has an AV or Software Firewall that is blocking Fantasy Grounds... she will need to open Norton/McAfee/Trend/Avast/Whatever and create an exception/rule to allow FantasyGrounds.exe (and the updater) and another to allow Outbound Connections to TCP1802.

Keltyrr
November 2nd, 2015, 02:02
Hi Keltyr.
Is your player unable to connect to Hamachi or Tunngle or she can connect but cant connect to Fantasy Grounds once connected to VPN?
It sounds to me like she has an AV or Software Firewall that is blocking Fantasy Grounds... she will need to open Norton/McAfee/Trend/Avast/Whatever and create an exception/rule to allow FantasyGrounds.exe (and the updater) and another to allow Outbound Connections to TCP1802.

The player is able to connect to Tunngle just fine, and we are able to see her in the network just fine as well. But she gets a red icon in the bottom right with the error message indicating no port access. She is able to chat in Tunngle just fine but no ability to interact beyond that. During the time we first were doing this no anti-virus was installed at all.

damned
November 2nd, 2015, 03:21
Is she local to you at all? If so can you get on same network as her and see if she can connect to your Local/Internal IP when there is no other networking involved?
Otherwise is it possible to try and connect her computer to a phone/wifi hotspot and tunngle and see if the same thing happens?
I dont have any real experience with tunngle other than connecting it up with you as a test. Im still wondering if it is some local setting/restriction/application on her computer that is blocking it...?
When connected to tunngle network she might need to mark the network as home/work so as to not impose max restrictions/firewall settings on it via windows.

Keltyrr
November 7th, 2015, 03:21
Well for the moment we won't be able to use Fantasy Grounds. Tethering with the phone works just fine but there is not enough bandwidth available on the phone to use it this way. But this summer the one player will be moving out of the dorms so we will...resume with FG then.

damned
November 7th, 2015, 04:43
Send her off to the local maccas or starbucks to play from there. take a corner booth and enjoy the strange looks of all the other customers as you break into character!
thats a bugger. they must be doing some application level filtering and really only allowing specific protocols...

Keltyrr
November 7th, 2015, 08:47
Our games happen at 9pm and run until 1am often times. I don't know coffee shops but that's not a time I want to ask someone to take their computer out to a public location.

We will be stuck using roll20 for now. But I feel my hands are so tied with roll20 after having used Fantasy Grounds. I promise, I will be back.

damned
November 7th, 2015, 12:15
Our games happen at 9pm and run until 1am often times. I don't know coffee shops but that's not a time I want to ask someone to take their computer out to a public location.

It was only a light hearted jest. Good players are worth hanging on to.