PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable server ports?

Weepdrag
November 1st, 2015, 19:46
Perhaps I'm a minority but, my ISP doesn't have the port that FG uses available. I'm in small town USA with limited choices, and the ISP that I use gives great bandwidth but restricts the ports available going through their router. If the server port setting was adjustable to say something in the 5000-6000 range, I could host games.

Bottom line, is there a way to change the server port in a config file, or is it hard coded?

Trenloe
November 1st, 2015, 19:47
This can be done, see here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?19981-Switching-Ports-I-need-an-example-please

damned
November 1st, 2015, 20:04
Yes - changing ports is not hard - but your players also have to do it too.
Another option is to use something like Hamachi or another VPN style service. With some the players will also need to join the VPN (Hamachi and Tunngle for example) but some VPNs will allow you to Port Forward - I dont have any names for you though....
Using a VPN service is likely to result in slower speed so I would go the alternate port route as a first choice.

Weepdrag
November 2nd, 2015, 15:23
Thanks for the quick responses. This makes me a happy guy.

Weepdrag
November 2nd, 2015, 21:57
The plot thickens, the FG II software is evidently far too intelligent for it's own good. My ISP uses a NAT, meaning the IP address that FG is seeing for incoming coming connections (WAN) is NOT the IP that will forward to my FG server. Is there a way to designate (manually) the incoming static IP? The connection test comes up "error" and the inbound IP comes up "error1"

Thanks for any input

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2015, 22:04
You can't manually tell FG what the WAN IP address is. But all FG uses that WAN IP address for is the alias functionality. If FG can't see the WAN IP address then you won't be able to use the alias feature of FG. But this won't stop FG receiving player connections - as long as your port forwarding is setup correctly. You will have to give your players the WAN IP of your internet connection for them to use as the host address to connect to you. The downside of this is that you'll have to give your players a new host address IP each time your WAN IP changes.

Weepdrag
November 3rd, 2015, 01:03
Thanks Trenloe, I'll do some more testing. I have a static inbound IP, so no WAN changes to deal with.

midas
November 6th, 2015, 02:23
My guess is that if your ISP is doing NAT then port forwarding won't help you unless they're forwarding from their public IP to your WAN IP (since your WAN IP is likely a non-public IP). Is that what they're doing?