PDA

View Full Version : New to FG Question.

gmdmb3
November 1st, 2015, 02:58
Hello all,

I have played a few sessions now with FG as a GM and I love it, however I watched one of the tutorial videos on YouTube (https://youtu.be/nurEMR4JJeU) and i was wondering if i am missing something or is a majority of the drag and drop functionality shown in this video not available with PFRPG rule set in FG?

Nylanfs
November 1st, 2015, 03:25
Yes, it new code work that was introduced with the 5e ruleset.

Ken L
November 1st, 2015, 03:27
I think that's a partnership they have with wizards (drag + drop classes since class packs are bought) much of PF is OGL so there' not much of a profit incentive to develop the same framework I'd wager.

gmdmb3
November 1st, 2015, 03:28
Do you happen to know if it will make its way to PFRPG set? I only ask because i can figure out a workaround but if it is on its way then i will just wait.

damned
November 1st, 2015, 04:55
I think it is unlikely to make its way to PF ruleset - its not about profitability - its just the evolution of the product and an allocation of resources.
Many of the drag and drop features were built into 5e before there was a license with Wizards. They were built in as the products capabilities increased.

SmiteWorks (the publishers of Fantasy Grounds) made and maintain the following rulesets -
CoreRPG
3.5E
4E
5E
Pathfinder
Numenera

They all have varying degrees of functionality. The Pathfinder/3.5E rulesets have the second most number of features of any ruleset and it is a very good ruleset. With a finite set of resources they are being directed to the Unity Port, The Base Application features, Bug Fixes and 5e Ruleset and products.

Unofficially at this time they also maintain Call of Cthulhu and Castles & Crusades.

Most other content and rulesets is community developed or is developed by a community dev on a commission.

Quite possibly if Paizo ever agreed to a licensing deal (I dont know why they dont!) the features might get built in but that would be all part of that negotiation Im sure....

Trenloe
November 1st, 2015, 19:54
Some further background/info. Design decisions made by the Fantasy Grounds team in the past were that FG would not be a "character generator" as that is not what FG is designed to do - it's designed to be a Virtual Table Top (VTT) that facilitates playing over the internet. As such, historically, there has been little automation in the entering of character data in FG. As damned mentioned above, with the D&D 5e ruleset the developers changed that philosophy a bit and allowed drag/drop of key data (class, race, etc.) to provide automation in the character sheet. The developers would still say that FG isn't a character generator, even for 5e.

For PFRPG there's the character converter that helps some of the process - allowing creating of a Pathfinder character in HeroLab or PCGen and importing that PC into FG. Some info here: https://www.fg-con.com/information/pathfinder-society-organized-play/preparing-your-pc-for-fantasy-grounds/

gmdmb3
November 2nd, 2015, 08:32
Some further background/info. Design decisions made by the Fantasy Grounds team in the past were that FG would not be a "character generator" as that is not what FG is designed to do - it's designed to be a Virtual Table Top (VTT) that facilitates playing over the internet. As such, historically, there has been little automation in the entering of character data in FG. As damned mentioned above, with the D&D 5e ruleset the developers changed that philosophy a bit and allowed drag/drop of key data (class, race, etc.) to provide automation in the character sheet. The developers would still say that FG isn't a character generator, even for 5e.

For PFRPG there's the character converter that helps some of the process - allowing creating of a Pathfinder character in HeroLab or PCGen and importing that PC into FG. Some info here: https://www.fg-con.com/information/pathfinder-society-organized-play/preparing-your-pc-for-fantasy-grounds/

I can fully understand that, and I'm not looking for an automated tool or a generator. What i mainly wanted was to have the links on the sheet for things such as class or racial features, like we have for the inventory so that, That specific information is readily available for my players

damned
November 2nd, 2015, 10:00
I can fully understand that, and I'm not looking for an automated tool or a generator. What i mainly wanted was to have the links on the sheet for things such as class or racial features, like we have for the inventory so that, That specific information is readily available for my players

which is a much *smaller* task... vote for it - it might get some traction :)

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2015, 14:38
What i mainly wanted was to have the links on the sheet for things such as class or racial features, like we have for the inventory so that, That specific information is readily available for my players
That functionality is available. Drag the feats/abilities from the library to the relevant entry on the Abilities tab.

You'll find the additional community library modules of great use. Find them here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?16074-List-of-Modules&p=120187&viewfull=1#post120187 Especially the Character Races and Character Classes modules from Nickademus.

drvolk
November 2nd, 2015, 15:04
And here is a "quick&dirty" extension to just give you a general linkbox for the race and the characterclass(es) in the pathfinder charactersheet.

P.S: it works at least with the developer version 3.1.3