PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a fix for running via an Asus at66u?

Halgabron
October 29th, 2015, 10:58
Hi FG Community,

Having some drama & hope you can help?

We're trying to get our FG 5E D&D experience off the ground & hitting some connection issues... Some background...

I'm the DM running on Mac which at home connects fine via my Virgin Hub, one of the players running on a Lenovo via his Virgin Hub also fine - we can both get a successful test, he can join my campaign & it works perfectly... Fantastic & we love it.

But, the group we play with has an Asus router (sitting in front of a Virgin Hub in modem mode) which won't let us connect when we're at his house - the plan is to use FG as a hybrid experience - me a DM in the room, the players viewing the screen (via a big tv in the room) to see their 'bit'!

However, no connection via this particular router...

Anyone had any similar?

Thanks

dulux-oz
October 29th, 2015, 11:04
What FG license does everyone have?

Are the players trying to connect to the GM's Internal or external IP Address?

damned
October 29th, 2015, 12:40
sounds like you are doing double NAT
see this post... substitute your model devices...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26524-Router-Woes-need-a-heal&p=235923&viewfull=1#post235923

Halgabron
October 29th, 2015, 13:43
Myself & the player have the ultimate licence (I think) - the one for a single cost we purchased off steam.

External (again, I think) the one that comes with the server alias when you load campaign, which I shared with them.

dulux-oz
October 29th, 2015, 13:47
Well, if you're on the same network as the rest of the group them you need to use the Internal IP address :)

Halgabron
October 29th, 2015, 13:54
Ah, understand... so when we're setting up in the same room - do I just need to tell them the internal IP address that is generated (& they post into their box) rather than the server address or alias?

Will I still need to connect to the FG server or is that not required if we're all together?

Thanks for your responses & apologies for my stupidity!

dulux-oz
October 29th, 2015, 13:59
Don't apologize, its not being stupid if you don't know :)

The GM/Host only needs to connect to the FG Servers if you have any Players with a Free/Demo License - this is because the GM/Host PC needs to check back with the FG Servers to confirm that it is running an Ultimate License. If everyone is on Full or Ultimate Licenses then there is no need to check back.

And yes, if everyone is on the same LAN - the same "side" of the router, then you use the Internal IP Address - if a Player is on the different LAN then they need to use the External IP Address or the Alias.

try it out and let let us know how you go - if you still have trouble them we'll get you sorted :)

Cheers

ddavison
October 29th, 2015, 15:12
The earlier posts are spot on. When playing local, you can connect to the local IP so that your traffic never even has to go outside of your router and back in.

If the GM wants to also host people who are external to their network, then they will most likely need to configure both of their routers, starting with the outermost router (A) and route port 1802 from it to the inner most router's IP address (B) and then route port 1802 on that router to point to the local computer's IP (C). A -> B -> C.

Halgabron
October 29th, 2015, 17:46
Thanks again - so all I ask the player(s) to do is to enter the internal ip (which I can see as the GM/DM when I load campaign) into their 'Host address' box when they join game - assuming we're all in the same room & on the same wifi network - & we can connect & game on?

Our next session is in a week or so - will keep you posted. Loving the product so I'm keen to get the connections right - its already made the gaming better just from a speed point of view as all the campaign info is at my fingertips! Just need to get the next step sorted, but there's clearly help out there from the community. Ta.

Halgabron
October 29th, 2015, 18:00
... just realised, Dulux-Oz - your tutorials are great. Just worth mentioning, we've all been watching them to learn the system! Nice one.

dulux-oz
October 30th, 2015, 01:43
Glad you like them.

Just a small point: while FG will work over any network, because of the physics involved with wireless vs wired, we often find a wired connection is better when everyone is on the same LAN because of the throughput/bandwidth/etc issues - something to consider :)

Trenloe
October 30th, 2015, 21:46
The GM/Host only needs to connect to the FG Servers if you have any Players with a Free/Demo License - this is because the GM/Host PC needs to check back with the FG Servers to confirm that it is running an Ultimate License. If everyone is on Full or Ultimate Licenses then there is no need to check back.
Just to clarify this statement. It is the free/demo client that connects to the FG server to verify the Ultimate license it's connecting to. So free/demo licenses need internet connection.

Halgabron
November 2nd, 2015, 16:43
Hi All, tested now - works fine as a local host on the same network. Thanks for all your help & advice.