PDA

View Full Version : Resolution Question

metfansc
October 29th, 2015, 03:03
Ok, so I purchased a Surface Book which has a resolution of 3000 x 2000, my desktop has a resolution of 2560 x 1600 (on a 32" monitor). I am currently running the recently released Out of the Abyss campaign, and I was expecting the player maps to fit on my screen the way they do on my desktop. However, even though my resolution is tremendous the maps in the campaign are showing up as too large to fit in my screen. So if the image is the same size on my PC and Laptop and my resolution is bigger on my laptop, why is it that the maps don't fit on the screen on my Surface Book, but they do fit on the screen in the desktop machine? I guess more importantly what do I have to do to fix it, I know I can manually resize the image (which the UI for is TERRIBLE in Fantasy Grounds), but I guess what I really want is for the resolution of my PC to simply be respected. I tried adjusting the UI scale, but while that reduces the amount of real estate taken up by the UI, it does nothing for the images.

So any thoughts or suggestions on what is needed here?

Mask_of_winter
October 29th, 2015, 03:09
Drag the bottom right corner of the image in FG to resize and scroll up and down to zoom in out? Is that what you need?

metfansc
October 29th, 2015, 03:27
I am not asking that question, my question is about the resolution. Why is the same image in a 2560x1600 resolution larger on the screen then in a 3000x2000 resolution and how do I fix that, if it would use the same % of the screen based on the resolution I would be all set, yet it seems to be using some other sort of algorithm for displaying the image which I thought might be tied to the "UI Scale" but that doesn't seem to be the case, so what is it based on or how can it be adjusted?

Trenloe
October 29th, 2015, 04:10
It's not a case of FG doing anything differently. When the image is first opened it is opened at its original resolution. You then need to resize it manually (dragging the edge or CTRL+left-click and drag within the image), or via the right-click Resize -> Original Size, Adjust Vertial or Adjust Horizontal options.

It sounds like you've resized the image at some point on your desktop to display the way you want. But opening on the Surface Book is using the base resolution of the image (very large by the sound of it). You'll need to resize it on your Surface Book to the size you want it to be - just like I'm guessing you did on your desktop.

A good way is to resize it left-right so that it is the width you want it to be on your screen (use CTRL + left-click within the image and repeatedly drag right-to-left to resize the image from the right hand side) and then use the right-click menu: Resize -> Adjust Vertical, this will adjust the image vertically, but keep the width you selected.

FG will remember (specific to each campaign) the last size and position you use for an image when you next open it. So you only have to resize once, within a campaign, to get it the size you want.