PDA

View Full Version : New official language fonts for 5E

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2015, 22:40
For those that have purchased the Basic Rules, Player's Handbook, Player's Customization Pack or Lost Mines of Phandelver official products from the store, we got permission to include the official language fonts as an extension you can enable in your campaign. The fonts included in the 5E ruleset by default are ones available freely online that are similar. Official support for speaking in different languages (including different fonts) is coming in v3.1.3.

Cheers,
JPG

epithet
October 28th, 2015, 22:47
That's more than a little bit awesome.

The Rouse
October 28th, 2015, 22:49
Nice!

Will this be translatable to only those PCs who list the language as a language on the character sheet? Can two elves speak elvish to another with out the dwarf knowing they are talking smack about him, if he doesn't know elvish?

Moon Wizard
October 28th, 2015, 22:56
The Rouse,

Yes, this is how it works.

If the none of the player's characters can speak the language in question, then the text will be scrambled before display (in either the default chat font or the font defined for the language).
If the language has a custom font defined, the translated text will be displayed as well (if at least one of the player's characters can understand).

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
October 28th, 2015, 23:28
Nice!

Will this be translatable to only those PCs who list the language as a language on the character sheet? Can two elves speak elvish to another with out the dwarf knowing they are talking smack about him, if he doesn't know elvish?

Why on earth would elves be talking smack about a Dwarf? :)

whiteTiki
October 29th, 2015, 04:47
This is Awesome!!!
Great work and thank you guys! Can't wait for the official 3.1.3 release.

This will really save me a lot of DM preparation time, as I was doing this before (The translations are in spanish):

After some Photoshop I upload them to the Images & Maps Section, then create a note with a link to this image and share it with the players.

ddavison
October 29th, 2015, 15:20
Those are great hand-outs.

The Rouse
October 29th, 2015, 17:16
Why on earth would elves be talking smack about a Dwarf? :)

Why wouldn't they...have you ever seen a dwarf? Horrible, smelly nasty things, who drink too much and talk too loud.

The Rouse
October 29th, 2015, 17:17
Nice role-play improvement!

GunnarGreybeard
October 29th, 2015, 17:58
Another reason for me to run my next campaign in text chat.

kane280484
November 2nd, 2015, 07:57
Awesome. Since we talk about odd languages here: Is there a guide somewhere how can I set up Polish font in FG?

damned
November 2nd, 2015, 09:59
as in for things other than "chat"?

kane280484
November 2nd, 2015, 13:32
Chat would be ok, other things are not necessary, but one letter in Polish sometimes makes different meaning, thus I wonder is it possible to set up Polish chars in chat.

Moon Wizard
November 2nd, 2015, 17:28
It would require an extension to replace all the fonts in the ruleset with Polish versions.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
November 2nd, 2015, 17:59
Here's an example extension that replaces some FG fonts, you could modify this to use Polish True Type Fonts (TTF): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25600-Using-FG-at-the-tabletop&p=227962&viewfull=1#post227962

demonsbane
November 3rd, 2015, 18:20
This is Awesome!!!
This will really save me a lot of DM preparation time, as I was doing this before (The translations are in spanish):

Now I can read your glyphs! ;-)

Another reason for me to run my next campaign in text chat.

My preferred mode as well.

rob2e
December 6th, 2015, 01:02
There seems to be two selections for this extension? Regular and (FR)? Is that French? What is that?

Redemption77
December 6th, 2015, 03:02
FR Im pretty sure is referring to Forgotten Realms

rob2e
December 6th, 2015, 03:36
Ah, so fonts are different in Forgotten Realms than in "Regular" D&D?

Zacchaeus
December 6th, 2015, 11:43
Ah, so fonts are different in Forgotten Realms than in "Regular" D&D?

Indeed.

Moon Wizard
December 6th, 2015, 19:51
Yes, straight from Wizards of the Coast, there are different font sets for standard D&D vs. Forgotten Realms D&D. I read the official font usage guidelines.

Regards,
JPG

rob2e
December 6th, 2015, 19:55
I see. OK cool.

LordEntrails
December 7th, 2015, 22:46
Moon,
Is there a way to use the language capability in story entries? I though that if I put the language in as the speaker, it might do it, but at least for all of the entries I've tried so far these doesn't work. I'd like it so that I can create text entries that have a language associated with them, that way when I click them into chat, it gets converted etc.

Here's a pic of what I was hoping, but how it shows up in chat.

ddavison
December 7th, 2015, 22:54
You can't pre-encode it within your story entries. The best you can do at this time is to assign a speaker (the name of the NPC still), manually select the text from the dropdown and then click on the speech bubble and it will render it to chat in that language. Perhaps you could put a DM note right above it to remind you which language to set.

LordEntrails
December 8th, 2015, 02:04
Ok Doug, thanks for the info.

TMO
December 8th, 2015, 07:27
You can't pre-encode it within your story entries. The best you can do at this time is to assign a speaker (the name of the NPC still), manually select the text from the dropdown and then click on the speech bubble and it will render it to chat in that language. Perhaps you could put a DM note right above it to remind you which language to set.

I see, so I can put anything I want as the assigned speaker, correct? It seems so based on my quick test. I thought the assigned speaker had to be an actual NPC in the game. But it appears like I could simply put the word "scroll" and then follow your instructions. Nice!

Zacchaeus
December 8th, 2015, 10:48
I see, so I can put anything I want as the assigned speaker, correct? It seems so based on my quick test. I thought the assigned speaker had to be an actual NPC in the game. But it appears like I could simply put the word "scroll" and then follow your instructions. Nice!

Yes, the output to chat is whatever you place as the speaker in the text frame within the story. You can also have the speaker be whatever character you have selected in the Combat Tracker if you select the option 'select GM voice to Active CT'. You can then change the language and have that character speak in that language.