PDA

View Full Version : inputing into the FG Armor Class fields

Octavious
October 28th, 2015, 22:06
Hey!
in making my character I'm allowed armor. rules state I start with 10 AC and add Dexterity mod. If my character wears Studded leather it states I get a 12 AC bonus. the FG fields show 10 then a field for armor then a field for shield and so on. at first (because I'm new I figured no prob ill add 12 to the armor field )but it added to 10+12 + 2 = 24. But then I figured that's wrong( I think lol) I only get 12 + 2(dex) = 14. So here's the thing. I cant change the original 10 in the first field . So I instead just put 2 in the armor field to make 10(org AC number I cant change) + 2(Armor field) + 2 (dex) = 14. Am I doing this wrong ? or is this right ?

I almost forgot. Its for D&D rule set 5E

jshauber
October 28th, 2015, 22:14
You are spot on!!!

The armor description tells you what your AC will be when wearing said armor, sans DEX bonus.

adarosa
January 12th, 2016, 21:12
Octavious is correct as jshauber pointed out but this is a flawed system and should be patched or fixed to be more intuitive. We should not be having to catch this because frankly I missed it and was on my third character before I noticed the armor values were wrong.

When armor is added to the character's equipment section a pop-up should appear (much like sub-race selections etc.) that asks what armor the character is wearing. The list should be all Armor types in the Inventory tab and once selected should update the relevant fields in the Combat Calc. I would suggest the armor box not have a numeric value but instead the name of the armor worn ie.e Chain Mail or No armor and the Base would be take from the Armor details.

I don't think this is overly hard and I don't understand what is gained by keeping the current system.

Zacchaeus
January 12th, 2016, 21:48
The system used is that as detailed in the Player's handbook, in that your base AC is 10. The armour class of various armours includes that number so in effect you have to subtract 10 from it to get to the figure that you need to enter into the AC box for Fantasy Grounds. If the base figure wasn't in there then anyone not wearing armour would have an AC of 0.

Having a pop up would be nice but remember that what you have isn't a fully fledged character builder such as Hero Lab, so some user input is required.

damned
January 13th, 2016, 00:10
there are others spells and magic items that grant you a specific AC rather than a bonus to your AC so this complicates things.
you cant pickup FG and just start playing. you also need to know/read the rules.

Nylanfs
January 13th, 2016, 01:00
The new SRD clears this up a little as in the armor is listed as x+Dex

damned
January 13th, 2016, 02:14
I dont think it clears it up at all as the X still includes the base value of 10.

Medium Armor
Hide 10 gp 12 + Dex modifier (max 2) — — 12 lb.
Chain shirt 50 gp 13 + Dex modifier (max 2) — — 20 lb.
Scale mail 50 gp 14 + Dex modifier (max 2) — Disadvantage 45 lb.
Breastplate 400 gp 14 + Dex modifier (max 2) — — 20 lb.
Half plate 750 gp 15 + Dex modifier (max 2) — Disadvantage 40 lb