PDA

View Full Version : Player having slow connection to GM

Scarbrow1
October 27th, 2015, 06:02
A friend is trying to test FG by connecting to my Ultimate version. He is able to connect but when it tries to download (I assume from my content) it moves at an extremely slow pace. I'm not saying it moves kinda slow...I mean "hours long" download times. What could be a possible cause of this? Could his router or firewall be a problem?

Trenloe
October 27th, 2015, 06:09
This usually results from delays in some data getting to the player or not getting there at all. If it's taking hours long then press cancel and try again - this can sometimes help. But, if the base issue of data transfer is still there it might not improve matters. The normal cause for something like this (other than poor/error prone GM upload speeds, or poor/error prone player download speeds) is either the GM or player on a wireless connection with less than maximum signal strength. If either are using a wireless connection then try to get the best signal strength you can. If you have the option use a wired connection - at least to test if this makes a difference.

When you've done the initial data download to the player it won't download all of that data again - unless the player deletes it or there are some big updates to the data the GM is sharing.

Scarbrow1
October 27th, 2015, 15:29
I think my friend is on a wireless connection. I'll check with him and see if that is the case. Thanks for info.