PDA

View Full Version : AC Calculations?

Brynnan
October 26th, 2015, 20:06
I'm not sure what's going on. When I take a naked character with an AC 10 and drag over armor like Chain Mail, his AC goes to 26, not 16. Looking at the AC details shows the Base of 10 and the Armor as 16. I have a bunch of level 1 characters running around with an AC of 26.

Am I missing something somewhere? Is this a bug? It's certainly not right.

EDIT: OK, so it's not adding the amount to Armor Class automatically, but in the description is plainly says AC Bonus +16 and when you drag it over to the AC details goes to 26.

Blahness98
October 26th, 2015, 20:26
If you are talking about the 5e, I believe the armor takes into account the base 10 ac. You will have to put in a -10 in the modifier field to correct it.

Zacchaeus
October 26th, 2015, 20:37
Indeed, in 5E the base armour class is 10 but the armour descriptions show +11, +12 etc

The armour class is not automatically calculated in the 5E character sheet but the base AC is always 10. To set the AC open up the Combat Calculation box (click the little magnifying glass next to AC on the main page of the character sheet). If your armour is +16 then as you'll see the 10 is already there so you would put 6 into the 'Armor' box to arrive back at 16. You don't do anything with the modifier box.

More information on creating characters here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet).

Nylanfs
October 26th, 2015, 22:48
WotC is messing with you, they put the total AC for armor and not what it improves your ac by in the book.

epithet
October 26th, 2015, 23:24
It's all part of the bounded accuracy thing. Very few things will give you an actual armor class bonus. Armor gives you an armor class, not a bonus to your armor class. That way almost nothing stacks, and your character theoretically remains at least nominally vulnerable to a hail of arrows from a bunch of goblin archers even at level 20.

A shield gives you a bonus of 2, cover gives you 2 or 5, and there are a few spells that actually give you a bonus (like the shield spell.) For the most part, though, things don't stack. Armor, mage armor, draconic heritage (for sorcerers), etc. all set your AC at a number plus your dex bonus. Heavy armor, of course, doesn't give you your dex bonus, but you get the point.