PDA

View Full Version : 5E Text boxes

X-baby longshot
October 25th, 2015, 18:41
Having issues with FG menus text is covered by blocks red or black and i am unable to see the text. I have attempted to update, to no effect. any help would be appreciated. specific blocked out text includes all menu bars while using 5E skin, and during the start up of FG, the scroll window that includes update notes is completely blocked out.

damned
October 25th, 2015, 23:26
have you changed the UI Scale?
can you post a screenie or two?

X-baby longshot
October 26th, 2015, 07:04

X-baby longshot
October 26th, 2015, 07:04

X-baby longshot
October 26th, 2015, 07:07
I have tried to uninstall and reinstall, Change UI Scale and deleted my player catch, still no joy fixing the issue. when the the FG skin uses shield icon for menu bars/links i have no issues reading any text except the start window where it now has the dragon head emblems.

damned
October 26th, 2015, 10:24
cant see your images yet. what screen resolution is your computer? do you have any unpacked rulesets or unpacked extensions in your appdata folder?

X-baby longshot
October 26th, 2015, 13:16

X-baby longshot
October 26th, 2015, 13:16

X-baby longshot
October 26th, 2015, 13:17
second attempt pictures are now jpeg, Screen Resolution is 1920 x 1080. I have three files in my extension folder, they are ext files. not sure if that means unpacked or not.

X-baby longshot
October 26th, 2015, 13:28
https://postimg.org/image/pyiwkchej/

X-baby longshot
October 26th, 2015, 13:30
https://postimg.org/image/odau4ay6p/

Zacchaeus
October 26th, 2015, 14:32
I'm guessing here but I think damned is referring to .pak files which you will find in your User/AppData/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/rulesets folder.

If you find any folders in there delete them (there should only be a list of files with the .pak extension). If that doesn't help then..

Start a new campaign in Fantasy Grounds and make sure that there are no extensions checked off (you'll see a list of possible extensions down the right side once you select a ruleset.).

If the problem goes away then it sounds like an extension that is the problem. If not try deleting or renaming the 5e.pak file and the CoreRPG.pak file from your FG folder and restart FG and click updates. This will force them to redownload.

Then, if you still have a problem report back.

Nylanfs
October 26th, 2015, 17:04
Those look like a graphics driver issue to me.

X-baby longshot
October 26th, 2015, 17:35
I would guess that I have a different OS, I'm using windows 7. I don't see the folder User/Update/Roaming/Fantasy Grounds/rule sets folder.

Zacchaeus
October 26th, 2015, 19:10
It's C:\User\AppData and it might be hidden. See here (https://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/show-hidden-files#show-hidden-files=windows-7) how to make hidden folders visible. Oh, and for User read the name that you gave your account within windows i.e. x-baby longshot or whatever.

damned
October 26th, 2015, 19:46
just click on the folder Icon on the Fantasy Grounds splash screen.
the one near the top right of this image: https://postimg.org/image/odau4ay6p/

can you check your directx drivers are up to date?

X-baby longshot
October 27th, 2015, 12:08
all the files in the folder are .ext files. my drivers for video card are up to date. Could i be missing a extension file? I only have 3 in the folder.

Moon Wizard
October 27th, 2015, 12:45
It doesn't sound like an error with any data files, but it does sound like a graphics driver issue. I've heard of similar problems in the past and they all were related to graphics drivers, though none recently.

Having the latest and greatest graphics driver does not necessarily solve the issue, since the latest driver may be the cause of the issue in some cases. Using a slightly older driver version will sometimes resolve, if it's related to something in the latest driver.

For many graphics drivers, you can also enable/disable features in the control center app for the drivers (such as AMD Catalyst Control Center) to see if one of the options may clear up the issue.

Regards,
JPG

IrishBouzouki
February 15th, 2016, 14:29
Engaging in some thread necromancy...

I also am experiencing this, under one condition.
See SOFTWARE / HARDWARE setup below and attached partial-screen snips.

When I run with the big screen duplicating the laptop screen (both 1920x1080, attachment Capture1.PNG) I get everything displaying correctly (attachment Capture1a.PNG).
When I run with the big screen extending the laptop screen (laptop 1920x1080, attachment Capture2small.PNG, big screen 2560x1600, attachment Capture2big.PNG) I get some text showing this sort of red or black blocked out effect (attachment Capture2.PNG).

These show the FG launcher screen, but when the problem is present I notice the same thing inside the FG client for some text like the headings on the 5E Combat Tracker and Party Tracker and the buttons on the bottom of the Combat Tracker.
But most text still displays correctly. Enough so that I still play that way since I know what the text says in the client anyhow.

Another odd thing though, this problem depends on the setup at the time I launch Fantasy Grounds (to the launcher screen, not to the actual in-game client). If I change video setup after launching then the problem does not appear or disappear.

edit - oh, sliding around between extended screens of different resolutions doesn't change the condition either - it really is something that is just set at launch

I do not recall any other software on my system behaving like this, which seems a little odd for a possible driver issue but I don't know if that is meaningful or not.

When I asked someone about this they said to adjust the /uiscale (iirc) in the chat command line. That did not do anything but, well, change the UI size. went from 50 to 200 and did not get rid of the block-outs. But now that I have noticed it stays the same once you start the program I am not really surprised by that.

SOFTWARE: Windows 7 64-bit
HARDWARE: ASUS G74SX-DH72 Laptop (click and open "specs" tab if needed (https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230196)) running with the screen open as a second monitor and with a USB adapter (https://www.startech.com/AV/USB-Video-Adapters/USB-3-to-Displayport-Video-Card-Multi-Monitor-Adapter-2560x1600~USB32DPPRO) that sends video to a 2560x1600 Monitor (https://www.nixeus.com/?product=nixeus-vue-30)
So laptop screen 1920x1080, remote main screen 2560x1600 except when copying the laptop screen
Driver version for the USB adapter is DisplayLink v7.7.60366.0 (2/12/2015)
Driver version for the laptop screen (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M) is v10.18.13.6143 (12/16/2015) - I see an update pending but tend to ignore them because NVIDIA's update manager is such... an advertising platform

edit again - tried the NVIDIA update - now I remember - the reason I have not updated is that the newer NVIDIA driver causes me to be unable to extend my screen at all, anything except duplicate screens leaves the big screen entirely black - so I rolled back the update and as long as I remember will not be doing that update

So - maybe something you folks want to address, I offer to help, or maybe not worry about.
Thanks.

IrishBouzouki
February 15th, 2016, 15:49
BINGO - it is the color depth... I had been using 16 bit color at the higher res setting (some other game made me do that) - when I remembered that and changed it back to 32-bit color the problem is gone and I can start FG on the big screen and see all the texties!