PDA

View Full Version : Hi all, a few Questions if you please.

Sirgod
October 25th, 2015, 14:25
First, thanks for this game. So many old friends are popping up, even after 30 years, just so we can reconnect from all over the world, to once again, sit down, and replay the joys of our youth.

The first question, I suppose is... With Maps. Am I correct that both .jpeg and .png will work for maps? and do they need to be saved both in tokens and modules to get access to them, when creating from the story board?

second, If I own a physical copy of an old product, Let's say, Against the Giants , May I make use of that , to create a module for my own group? I don't want to break any copy write stuff here is all. For example , would I be limited to by making monsters from there into tokens? Maps? Storyline If I wanted to type it all out in the story editor?

Thirdly, I've been watching the great videos that you all have put out, along with others. It is slowly coming together, But I have yet to see it referenced, If I may make a map in an external Program , say Corel, or CC3; Would it be ok to import from those kind of sources?

Thanks all so much for your time and trouble with an Old Marine.

dulux-oz
October 25th, 2015, 14:46
Hi Sirgod, and Welcome!

Maps: can be both jpg and png (and bmp and gif - I think, from memory). I'm not sure what you're getting at in the rest of your question - maps are just images saved to the images directory under the campaign directory (in windows explorer). I'm not sure why you'd save a map to the tokens folder - a token image, yes, but not a map - I'm missing something in your question, sorry.

We make our own campaigns and modules using copyrighted material all the time - we just don't can't share the resulting files with anyone else.

Importing map from CC3; I do it all the time, and CC3 maps are posted on the forums all the time by Community Members - no-one's got a problem with it as long as you made it or have permission from the person who made it to distribute it.

And its no trouble from an Old marine, as long as you don't mind being answered by an old Army Digger (Aussie Soldier)

Hope that helps

Cheers

Sirgod
October 25th, 2015, 15:02
Thanks a ton , and now I'll have to add a shrimp on the Barbie to go with my traditional steak and Lobster every November. :D

I wasn't sure at all about the token part, but you cleared that up for me quite nice, so again, thank you.

Great to hear on CC3. Buddy, you helped me a lot here, and clarified what I needed to know. I owe ya one.

damned
October 25th, 2015, 23:41
Copyright law allows for Format Shifting (transferring to another medium - eg PDF or Book to FG) provising its for your own use only - which is as you describe - so go for it!
Image size matters. Try and scale all your maps to a common scale - 50px/5' is a common indoor scale.
But also look at the size of the file - your computer will be uploading this to each player connection so smaller images will upload faster. You will find for many maps that you can go as low as 40% jpg quality and still have very playable maps - and hugely faster transfer times. PNG is good for the old school blue/white or black/white maps without gradients otherwise stick with JPG.

Ask questions. Roll dice. Tell stories. Have fun!

Sirgod
October 26th, 2015, 00:46
Awesome! thanks Damned, I'll go back and see about reducing the image quality a bit. Sounds like good sound advice.

JohnD
October 26th, 2015, 05:32
Welcome Sirdog!

Sirgod
October 26th, 2015, 08:19
LOL, Thanks JohnD!

AD&D actually gave me that name. I was the dm for our group back around 77 /78 to the mid 2000's. On the very rare opportunity I was able to play a character They always called me Sirgod, in the hopes that I would grant favor next time I was the DM.

I never intentionally hurt the PC's, but one reading of "Tuckers Kobolds" was all I needed to scare the **** out of them. :D