PDA

View Full Version : Can't get a ping, can't be connected to.

Keltyrr
October 23rd, 2015, 17:56
Okay so I am still on the free version but in the next 24-48 hours I am planning to get ultimate. Or at least I was. Last night one of my players wanted to connect to me since the free can connect 1v1 for testing purposes and such. Now I know the first thing most people are going to do is go 'hey idiot, ever heard of port forwarding?' to which I shall say...yes. I have forwarded the port. Hell I DMZ'd the router even. I've turned off anti-virus, I've turned off windows firewall, I've even turned off the microwave in the kitchen just to be sure. I still can't get so much as a ping from Fantasy Grounds or any of half a dozen port checker websites.

Now when a DMZ'd router is still refusing a connection my mind says... the ISP is screwing with things. So about 15 minutes before typing this post I was on the phone with my ISP and they said that the router on their tower (my internet is short range open air broadband) is fully open and not blocking anything. So it's likely because they reduced my internet speed because I am 2 weeks behind on the bill and the low speed is preventing a ping or connection.

https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4770529307

I do not believe these speeds are great but I can't imagine Fantasy Grounds and multiple ping services all failing at a simple ping on those speeds. Especially since I can play MMOs and connect to others with Fantasy Grounds just fine. Even using multiple copies of roll20 at the same time and so forth. The only fairly feasible thing that he gave me to go on is that maybe Fantasy Grounds is deliberately programmed to refuse to connect to a person that is behind two routers even though one is 'full open' and the other is DMZ'd. Which still does not explain why a bunch of ping sites also fail.

Now I am sure most of you will tell me that the guy at my ISP is full of rothe dung and I tend to agree. But on the off hand he is right I figure I shoudl get input from here. Then try fantasy grounds again in an hour. It would not be the first time they lied to my face then fixed the problem behind my back.

Moon Wizard
October 23rd, 2015, 21:17
Fantasy Grounds will attempt to use UPnP to set up the first router in the chain. If you have only one router between you and your ISP and it is enabled for UPnP, this usually happens automatically.

Steps to check connectivity:

1. Host a game on your demo version of FG, launch a second instance of FG, select join game with "localhost" as the host name. If this fails, then Windows firewall (or other third party security software) is blocking FantasyGrounds.exe. If this is the case, then you will need to add an exception for FG to the security software. (Most security software pops up Accept/Decline once per application.)

2. If you have more than one router, you will need to configure each one for port forwarding. There's a web site portforward.com that provides steps for most routers. The closest router to your PC running FG should have a port forward rule for port 1802 to the local IP address shown on FG launch screen. The next router in the chain should have a port forward rule for port 1802 to the external WAN address shown on the first router. (And so on up the chain of routers until the cable leaves your house. Usually there are only one or two though.)

3. Once you have all the port forwarding done, you can use canyouseeme.org to check whether port 1802 is open, as well as the Test Connection button.

If still having trouble, some of the community members have more experience with networking scenarios, and you can also send a message to [email protected] to get more help.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
October 23rd, 2015, 21:32
I've even turned off the microwave in the kitchen just to be sure.

I know this doesn't help but ROFL!

damned
October 24th, 2015, 00:31
Keltyrr send me a PM and I will help you get connected.

Mask_of_winter
October 24th, 2015, 04:35
This seems to be a common issue recently. Don't mean to hijack the thread. Something is missing here to keep getting these threads popping up. Either we as users are missing a step or not reading the instructions. Or the instructions aren't clear enough.
Hope you get it resolves. Fg is a great package.

Yep, that and questions about the licenses, what comes with each and how they interact with each other. Oh, and people looking for a game but don't share their timezone or availability.

Keltyrr
October 25th, 2015, 04:07

The localhost test works just fine.

damned
October 25th, 2015, 04:40
Hey Keltyrr Im online now. If you want to send me a PM I can work with you on this.

Keltyrr
October 25th, 2015, 18:52
Welp, fixing the ports proved to be not feasible. However Damned reminded me about VPNs. Been so long since I used them that at the time I made this thread I had forgotten about them. So while the problem is not exactly "fixed" it has been circumvented. I believe this qualifies for the 'good enough' stamp and don't screw with what works.