PDA

View Full Version : How to make SW fights more exciting in FG?

AstaSyneri
October 23rd, 2015, 12:12
Hello fellow players and GMs.

Playing with Doswelk - my first chance to play as a player, thus having a bit more time to turn up the cinematics ;-) - recently made me think about how to run fights in a more cinematic fashion.

From a mechanics standpoint it seems to go into a difficult territory - sure you have Full Auto Fire/Burst Fire, Edges, bonuses for jokers, Wild Attacks and tricks, but in many ways those work against you (a -2 penalty can be pretty huge).

That basically boils it down to tricks. My personal stance would be - if one of my players describes something cool, that makes it more exciting for everybody, I want to it to succeed, as I want to encourage that sort of behavior. On the other hand, I don't want this to get out of hand (if you use tricks mechanics).

What is your experience in this - and how do you handle this in FG?

Mask_of_winter
October 23rd, 2015, 13:36
I don't think it's different than at a real table, or at least I'm not sure exactly what you're asking.
Savage Worlds is already cinematic enough.
If I run a game for players new to Savage Worlds I take the "show them, don't tell them" approach. What I mean by that is that if I want them to use Tricks and Test of Wills more I make my NPCs use those tactics against them to show them how effective they can be.
As for doing cool stunts, I tend to reward them with a benny. A player with the Joker also has the opportunity to take a multiple action penalty and not suffer any penalty. If you want to perform a Trick and attack in the same round, you can offset the penalty to your attack by making a Wild Attack.
Also, certain settings have Edges that allow you to perform a free Test of Wills or Trick maneuver but at a minor cost. I'm thinking Beasts & Barbarians here.