PDA

View Full Version : Any AD&D 2E Players out there?

Scotifer
October 23rd, 2015, 09:29
Hello all!

I was hoping to set up a AD&D 2E game using Fantasy Grounds since I moved recently and can no longer run my old game (they have a new DM now for in person games).

Anyone know the best way to recruit online? I have only ever used FG to supplement in person games, so I am still a bit new to this. Both systems I am familiar with are community supported, so probably a bit niche (GURPS 4E and AD&D 2E). I have an Ultimate Licence and a headset.

As it is just about Halloween, I was hoping to run The House of Strahd (1993), but since I have the licence, I am not opposed to finding people to form another group on a more permanent basis.

I am in Scotland (GMT+1) and would usually be able to run a game after 8pm or weekend evenings (depending on my work schedule and university).

Regards
Scott

damned
October 23rd, 2015, 09:44
There is certainly some interest in 2e. Larhalt is I think an Italian player and he is quite keen on 2e.
Most of the Old School D&D players tend to use Castles&Crusades on Fantasy Grounds because it does have an excellent ruleset with full library module support.
There is the community 2e ruleset and Larhalt is attempting to convert it to a CoreRPG ruleset.

I know when 2e is mentioned there is always a little bit of interest.

Oh - and Welcome Scotifer!

Szabtom
October 23rd, 2015, 12:14
Hi Scotifier,
I have fond memories of 2nd edition, used to play a lot 20 years ago (but never Ravenloft, actually, though used to read about it). Mostly FR, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, and Dark Sun. I would very much enjoy a nostalgia ride in any setting. :)
I am in Eastern Europe (GMT +2), Friday-Saturday-Sunday evenings could work for me - I assume you do not plan more than 3-4 hours per session?

Scotifer
October 25th, 2015, 21:34
Hello Szabtom,

Sorry about the delay to you and damned's warm welcome. I have been getting used to the AD&D 2E ruleset, as suggested. I had considered using 3.5E because of the increased automation, but as most of my home stuff is 2E, and it is my preferred system (GURPS 4E coming a close second), so I am sticking with 2E.

I hope to get a proper ad up shortly, I am just in the process of putting all the story related stuff onto FG like my really successful GURPS Vikings v Frost Giants game back in March. I am very optimistic at the moment.

Friday-Sunday evenings are the most likely times. 3-4hrs (maximum). I like to get all the prep done beforehand, so when there is a dungeon crawl, there will be lots of crawling, PC-kills, and RPing between being maimed by traps.

Other than Ravenloft, I have always wanted to run Dark Sun and Birthright. I love the TSR setting bloat of the 90s and own most of the boxed sets (other than Greyhawk and Dragonlance). Forgotten Realms was my go-to, because of the Xentarum and the Underdark.

You would be more than welcome if the time suits you.:D

I shall contact Larhalt, as damned recommends.

The Overlord
October 27th, 2015, 02:37
Keep us posted on your potential campaign.

jshauber
October 27th, 2015, 15:06
I would potentially be interested in a 2e game depending on day/time.

Scotifer
October 29th, 2015, 09:56
Hello all,

The real world has caught up with me and I do not think I will be able to commit as much time to inputting 2E material. So I have decided to run Pathfinder instead of the must simpler AD&D 2E (which has a lot less automation and is proving difficult to get the time to work on).

I will set up a new thread recruiting for Ravenloft: House of Strahd (Pathfinder) promptly. As roleplaying (and deadly traps) are were I get my kicks, I shall allow all 3.5E stuff, prestige classes, etc - although it must be approved by me first.

Powergaming is not off-limits, but that CHA 6-8 will make for some pretty awkward NPC interactions. Because of ease of use and the FG Char Converter, players should use PC Gen to build their characters.

Sorry for the U-turn, guys

jshauber
October 31st, 2015, 05:18
Completely understand, enjoy the Pathfinder.