PDA

View Full Version : Couple more questions...

Keltyrr
October 22nd, 2015, 23:12
Okay so last month I posted a thread saying I was looking to buy in the next couple months and had some more questions.

Well now that next couple months has been upgraded to next couple days and I have a couple more questions.

1. Does this program have any multi-screen support?
So far the only difficulty I am having with this program is the claustrophobia of having all the files and content stuck in one spot.

2. Are there any other things I need to hit quickly to learn this program ASAP? Right now I am going through the Dulux tutorial series. Any other 'musts' I should consider? If it matters any I will be DMing using a monthly Ultimate sub and the game will be 3.5e in Forgotten Realms.

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2015, 23:41
1) Some quick info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26449-Using-Fantasy-Grounds-on-Multiple-Monitors

2) The main must-have is just get familiar with the interface (remember to right-click on "stuff" as this will bring up the context sensitive radial menu) and the get familiar with the 3.5e ruleset specifics: PC sheet, NPC sheet, modifier box and the modifier window where 3.5e specific modifier buttons are available (and you can enter some custom modifiers too); and the combat tracker are the main ones. Worry about effects later, get used to FG first.

In terms of getting used to FG and playing around, it comes with a free 3.5e adventure "Well Met in Kithtak'haros" - start up a a3.5e campaign and then in the library activate the "Well Met in Kithtak'haros" module. This will add one (or more) green tabs at the bottom of the Story, Images & Maps, NPCs and Items campaign lists. Open a few of the links up and have a look. The story entries can be walked through and have links to the other objects as well. This should give you an idea of how data is stored in FG and can be put together for an adventure.

If you're going to be using voice for communication with players, then you don't need to prepare that much as you will be describing everything with your voice. Just have your maps, handouts and flavor images in FG, NPC statblocks and prepared encounters to make starting up an encounter nice and quick.