PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Ultimate license

Myrdin Potter
October 22nd, 2015, 00:10
If I have the ultimate license and all my players are using the demo version:

1) once they connect to me, they can create a PC and it is saved in to the active game for the ultimate license. But the demo version does not allow them to save? So if they wanted to use the same character in another GM's game they could not?

2) if I buy 5e content, the demo version players can see everything fine when connected to me (ultimate license) but cannot if not connected?

The heart of my questions is that if the other players were just playing in my campaign and I had an ultimate license, then as long as they are connected and playing with me, all characters are saved and they have full functionality as if they had a full license. However, they have very limited offline abilities?

The online FAQ and wiki are. It very descriptive as in exactly how this all works.

Myrdin

Moon Wizard
October 22nd, 2015, 00:40
1) They can use the Manage Characters mode to view their characters from that campaign, export them and send them to another GM. Or they could ask the original GM to export.

2) Yes, that's correct. DLC modules shared by the GM are only available to the players while connected to that GM. If they have purchased their own DLC (which requires at least a Standard license), then they can see those modules any time.

Regards,
JPG

lambchopsil
October 22nd, 2015, 07:42
My group is doing the exact same thing you described above, and it's worked out well for us. The only downside is that the person with the ultimate license has to be the DM every single time

GarthGiantbane
October 22nd, 2015, 16:09
Am I wrong to add that the players should be able to export their characters from the DM's game to their local drive and then later import the character into their local character management mode?

I'm just not sure what they'd see if they tried to click the "info" links without having the 5E PHB module available.

GarthGiantbane
October 22nd, 2015, 16:11
Am I wrong to add that the players should be able to export their characters from the DM's game to their local drive and then later import the character into their local character management mode?

I'm just not sure what they'd see if they tried to click the "info" links without having the 5E PHB module available.

[Sorry for the double post :cry:]

Griogre
October 22nd, 2015, 17:29
As I'm not sure of the context. You are wrong in the technical sense, in that player's always have a read only copy of a character when they play in someone else's game on their local drive in the FG cache, so they don't need to export from the DM's game or computer. In spirit, you are right they can always get a copy of a character in a game by starting manage characters and exporting the read only character and then importing the character so it's not read only.

Griogre
October 22nd, 2015, 17:34
My group is doing the exact same thing you described above, and it's worked out well for us. The only downside is that the person with the ultimate license has to be the DM every single time

For small groups of 4 with multiple GMs its always better to get a four pack for the price of 3 of standard licenses on Steam. The problem with the Ultimate license is the next GM in the group will always have to drop the $150 while in a group with standard licenses the cost of the next GM is just $40. So usually for a group with multiple GM's the standard license is the better option from a pure group cost perspective. These mechanics work best with an existing group of friends.