PDA

View Full Version : Light Weapons - Extra Attack

ArteF
October 21st, 2015, 05:19
When using light weapons on extra attack, can you draw your weapon on each attack?

As in you attack and part of that attack you draw your weapon, and on your second attack you draw your other weapon?

Or is it that you can draw a weapon as a free action and then during your attack draw your other weapon as part of the action?

Or is it that you must have dual wielder feat to draw your weapons regardless of how many attacks you get during a turn?

It's confusing because I recall being told that light weapons can be drawn at the same time for two weapon fighting.

So lets say a pirate shot off his dragons and used a free action to drop them, and he went to draw his two short swords the next turn, could he draw them both in one turn and attack or would he have to draw one attack with that one and then next turn draw the other and be able to two weapon fight?

kylania
October 21st, 2015, 06:46
You'd need the Dual Wielder Feat (PHB page 165) to draw two weapons for free at once: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2014/11/03/dual-wielder-draw-2/

In your example as a DM I'd allow your pirate with Extra Attack feature to drop his pistol (I'm assuming that's what you mean by 'dragons) and draw one short sword in the first round but not attack with it. In the second round he could draw his second sword and attack with both three times, twice as his Attack Action with his main hand sword and once as a Bonus Action with his offhand sword using the Two-Weapon Fighting rules (PHB page 195). Or if he had Duel Wielder he could stow his pistols after the Ranged Attack in the first round and draw his swords in the second round attack as above, benefit in this case being able to keep his pistols on him.

Number of attacks doesn't really have to do with how many weapons you can draw it's simply how many attacks you can make per Attack Action. Without Extra Attack and two short swords you'd get 2 attacks. One with your main hand and one as a Bonus Action with your off hand sword. With Extra Attack you'd get two attacks with your main hand and one with your off hand.

The "Draw as part of your attack" thing is from PHB page 190 where it talks about using your Free Action to interact with your weapon, drawing it as part of your attack. That works with any weapon. Duel Wielder just lets you do that with your main weapon and also draw and attack as a bonus action with your offhand in the same round.

Dragontail
October 21st, 2015, 12:55
Speaking of dragons. are there any fire arms rules currently for 5e in Fantasy Grounds?

Zacchaeus
October 21st, 2015, 13:15
Nope, but I don't think you need any special rules since you can set up all of the attacks using existing effects or weapon attacks. The only 'hard' one is the burst fire mode but you'd just set that up as if it were a ranged attack spell.