PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys handle Magic Item Effects?

kuthulu
October 20th, 2015, 17:43
I'm running a Rise of the Rune Lords campaign and my players are starting to get some nice magic gear. Weapons are not a prob as I can set those up pretty easy. I was wondering how you guys handle Armor/rings, etc. I was thinking that instead of going in and adjusting the stats on each individual character that I could create a Spell Class for Magic Items with Effects which they could add/remove from their characters. This seems like it would make it easier for them to take gear on and off and when they trade gear, which my players do, I can just move the effects from one PC to another.

I'm open to suggestions if this doesn't seem right. Thanks for all the help so far!

Trenloe
October 20th, 2015, 18:27
The issue with effects is that they're not really designed for permanent bonuses as sometimes you'll want to clear all effects from the combat tracker. Armor bonuses can be applied manually to the combat tab, this is your best approach for long term adjustments due to magic items etc.. Use effects for expiring bonuses - such as those from spells, potions, etc..

Effects will work but I think you'll have more confusion/issues using them.

It's up to you - go with what you and your players prefer.

kuthulu
October 21st, 2015, 17:03
Thx Trenloe

Callum
October 21st, 2015, 22:29
Personally, I do use effects for all the PCs' magic items. This means - as you noted - it's easy to swap them around, it's easy to keep sight of them, and it handles all the bonus stacking. There used to be an issue with armour bonuses on the Combat tab not stacking correctly with bonuses from effects on the Combat Tracker, but I haven't tested that recently. I've never needed to clear all effects from the Combat Tracker in several years of play.

kuthulu
October 21st, 2015, 22:44
Do you mark them as GM visible only? Doesn't that keep the effects from clearing when your party rests? That's what I was thinking of doing at least.

kwarner1986
October 21st, 2015, 23:21
I use effects as well for some magic items. If they haven't ID the magic item and someone puts it on. I make GM visible only. A great example of an item I would make an effect for is a cloak of resistance. Reason for this is, resistance bonuses don't stack and a ton of spells raise resistance bonuses.

The effect I would code would look like this: Cloak of Resistance; SAVE: 1 resistance (I don't set any duration.)

Now let's say someone cast, Shield Other on the same person. They would have a spell effect that would look like: Shield Other (Half Damage Returns to Caster); AC: 1 deflection; SAVE: 1 resistance

If someone were to roll a save, they would only get a +1 to that roll and FG is smart enough to know they only get +1.

An example of an item, that wouldn't get an effect, Ring of Protection +1. There is no need for an effect since there is a deflection bonus ssection on AC, the effect would be pointless.

Other Good Example of Items as effects:
Lesser Bracers of Archery; ATK: 1 ranged,competence
Eyes of the Eagle; SKILL: 1 perception,competence
Headband of Alluring Charisma; CHA: 2 enhancement
Belt of Physical Perfection; STR: 2 enchancement; DEX: 2 enhancement; CON: 2 enhancement

You also don't have to delete the effect if they take the item off. You can just click the effect on or off which is next to GM Visiblity.

Callum
October 22nd, 2015, 15:10
Do you mark them as GM visible only? Doesn't that keep the effects from clearing when your party rests? That's what I was thinking of doing at least.

If the effect doesn't have a duration - as it wouldn't for a magic item - then it doesn't disappear when the party rests.

I generally start off with leaving all magic item effects visible to the players, so that they can see that they're receiving the benefit of their items. This also helps them to see what is being automatically factored in - which is particualrly useful for items where you can only code part of the effects. When they've had the item for a while, and their list of item effects is getting longer, I then switch some of them to GM visibility only.