PDA

View Full Version : Complete character advancement

whiteTiki
October 19th, 2015, 17:24
Hi there everyone.

Small background story:
Some time ago I started realizing that having your character in certain Character Level (1-20), <lets say for this example level 5> wasn't the whole story when speaking of "Character Advancement"; You also had this Tier Level (1-4) (which you can find at the DMG rather than the PHB) which at Character Level 5 you're Tier Level 2. This type of level dictates the impact a character is making in the material plane or even other planes of existence. After that It also came to my attention that some faction rank system existed. You could also gain Faction Ranks (1-5), which you get by gaining renown points rather than experience points and you find the details of this system among 2 books (PHB and DMG) and 1 online free manual from WotC (Adventurers League Quick Start Guides). At the same time, this faction ranks have names according to the reputation you've made within your faction and they also have specific requirements and benefits also listed in different books or manuals.

Solution:
At the end I simply thought this was all kind of a little mess, so I decided to:

First, grab all the information available regarding all this systems, requirements, impact levels and benefits and analyze it so that it became more clear.
Second, create a MS Office Excel spreadsheet and place all the information in a simple, summarized, yet complete layout
Third, grab some of the official content available (such as character sheets and so) to replicate the same line of design WotC uses and make all this look neat and organized using some Adobe products and of course, giving the proper credit to WotC for their designs

Result:
At the end this was the result:
If anyone likes a clean PDF of this, you can download it here (https://www.grupoarcon.mx/archives/CCA.pdf) (It's hosted in my personal web page just in case someone feels something's wrong)
NOTE: The renown points in-between each Faction Rank are the "Suggested" renown for the character in that particular Character level.

Comments and Suggestions (Using it in Fantasy Grounds):
The next thing I did of course, was to add this to the "Notes" section in Fantasy Grounds as a "Public" entry. This way me and my players have access to this chart all the time. I've found a lot of positive feedback from my players when using this; they say they understand better how their character is advancing through the adventures and the world and the most interesting part is that players actually start bending the adventure a little bit (making it kind of more dynamic) when they decide to do things or missions for their factions, request certain benefits they didn't know they had, etc.

This also encourages players and DM's to not only look at the "XP rewarded" each time a session ends, but it helps to keep track of your character as a whole and you can easily identify when your character is gaining a lot of XP in contrast with its renown or vice-versa, this way the characters also know when its time to stop doing "adventure related quests" for a moment and start doing some faction missions.

I'm posting this here of course for anyone that likes it or is interested in it to grab the image or download the PDF and add it to their "Notes" in Fantasy Grounds. I would also like, if anyone is interested in taking the job, to incorporate this into Fantasy Grounds, not just as an image in the notes section, but instead in some other creative way such as a module or a table in some specific part or whatever.

Hope you guys like it, feel free to use it, share it and modify it or make any suggestions if you like.

ffujita
October 20th, 2015, 19:38
> The next thing I did of course, was to add this to the "Notes" section in Fantasy Grounds as a "Public" entry.

Does "Notes" support pdf? If not how did you add it to "Notes?"

whiteTiki
October 20th, 2015, 19:41
It only supports images so:

Click on the image I posted to enlarge it (not the link to the PDF)
Right click it, then select Save Image as...
Save it to your PC and add it to notes

Hope it works.

whiteTiki
October 20th, 2015, 19:47
Also, I'm not sure if Adobe Acrobat Reader (which most people have) is able to export to JPG or PNG, but I'm really sure that Adobe Acrobat does support the feature so, if you have Adobe Acrobat you can:

Got to File > Save As...
Choose the name you want, then select JPG or PNG and click save.

ffujita
October 20th, 2015, 20:02
I didn't even know that Notes supported images .. I'll be sure to try to create just such a note when I get back home.

By the way, that was a great job ... If I was WotC, I'd buy the rights for some small amount of $ and then put it up on their website.

whiteTiki
October 20th, 2015, 20:09
Thanks!

The thing is, I only grabbed WotC already-created designs and information to make this. So its not like they're going to buy something THEY created. That's why I'm giving all the credit to them. Its their information from the Core Books, those are their tables and also those are their designs (faction images, background images, accent images, etc.). The only thing I did was take all the scattered info from 3 books and put it all together using their designs.

Moon Wizard
October 20th, 2015, 20:13
The notes don't support images directly, but any number of links to other records (including images) can be placed into a note.

Cheers,
JPG

whiteTiki
October 20th, 2015, 20:18
Moon Wizard is right. I forgot that point because I already had it linked to my notes.
What you need to do is:

Add the image to: Images and Maps
Open notes and create a new note with a small description
Drag and drop the Red Dragonhead icon (or the small round icon <Depends on extension>) from the Images & Maps Section to were you're writing a small description for your note in the Notes section
Make that note Public

You can also leave it at the Images & Maps section and just share it from there but personally I like it better from the Notes section.

ffujita
October 20th, 2015, 20:20
And for me, I have a small round button instead of a Red Dragonhead icon, cause I love the textured leather look.

spite
October 20th, 2015, 21:26
This is amazing and I love you for it :)