PDA

View Full Version : Combat statistic

Dragonan
October 17th, 2015, 21:57
Hi

I was wondering if there was a way to get encounter statistic? We used to use Masterplan to play 4.0 and it was easy to see the amount of damage given and take among much more.

In the chatlog I can see the information is written, but was just hoping someone had made a tool to read it, so I would not end up making one my self :)

Thanks
Andreas

Zacchaeus
October 18th, 2015, 13:32
Sorry, what is it that you are wanting? As you say the hit rolls and damage etc appear in the chat window. What else is it that you need?

kane280484
October 18th, 2015, 13:47
I 've made an excel sheet. But it was manual job with entering data.

epithet
October 18th, 2015, 16:17
He's looking for metadata. He wants to be able to see total damage dealt by a character, total heals, total damage taken, etc. At least, I think that's what he's looking for.

The thing is, Fantasy Grounds can't really capture that accurately, because (unlike a PC game) everything in the game is subject to DM override and reversal. The damage rolled by a player for his or her character can be a lot different than the damage taken by the NPC it's meant to apply to, or it could be applied to a completely different NPC, or negated completely.

It is sometimes tempting to fall into the mindset of thinking about Fantasy Grounds as a game, but it isn't. It's a game table. There are tools built into it and available as add-ons that automate and expedite aspects of the games you play on the table, but it is designed (as I see it) first and foremost to give you complete freedom to play your tabletop game. It's cool to automate combat actions, but crucial to not limit the players' ability to play the way they want to, with whatever house rules they might implement. In other words, when Fantasy Grounds makes x easier, it has to be sure not to get in the way of you doing y.

So, for example, the Wizard uses telekinesis to pull the roof of the cavern down onto the head of an NPC. The DM decides it's basically falling damage in reverse, so has the Wizard roll 4d6 and applies the result manually to the NPC. If Fantasy Grounds is tracking damage for the Wizard, it has no way to know that those points of damage came from the Wiz. Similarly, if the player creates an effect for a damage over time ability and applies it to a targeted NPC, FG would probably count the damage dealt correctly; if (as is often the case) the DM has to apply the effect to the NPC, it might not be "credited" to the PC correctly.

While I can see the value of having some metadata from the game session, I think in practice implementing this would be impractical, and would certainly eat up resources that (in my opinion) would be far better spent on things like DMG treasure generators and the Unity port. To accurately track damage dealt by characters would also necessarily restrict the ability of DMs to just apply damage or healing manually on the fly, which would commit the cardinal sin of making combat take longer.

Anyway, that's what I think about it.

Zacchaeus
October 18th, 2015, 16:30
Ah, right, thanks epithet. And, indeed, there doesn't really seem to be a point to such a thing. This isn't World of Warcraft after all. :)

Dragonan
October 18th, 2015, 16:43
He's looking for metadata. He wants to be able to see total damage dealt by a character, total heals, total damage taken, etc. At least, I think that's what he's looking for.

The thing is, Fantasy Grounds can't really capture that accurately, because (unlike a PC game) everything in the game is subject to DM override and reversal. The damage rolled by a player for his or her character can be a lot different than the damage taken by the NPC it's meant to apply to, or it could be applied to a completely different NPC, or negated completely.

It is sometimes tempting to fall into the mindset of thinking about Fantasy Grounds as a game, but it isn't. It's a game table. There are tools built into it and available as add-ons that automate and expedite aspects of the games you play on the table, but it is designed (as I see it) first and foremost to give you complete freedom to play your tabletop game. It's cool to automate combat actions, but crucial to not limit the players' ability to play the way they want to, with whatever house rules they might implement. In other words, when Fantasy Grounds makes x easier, it has to be sure not to get in the way of you doing y.

So, for example, the Wizard uses telekinesis to pull the roof of the cavern down onto the head of an NPC. The DM decides it's basically falling damage in reverse, so has the Wizard roll 4d6 and applies the result manually to the NPC. If Fantasy Grounds is tracking damage for the Wizard, it has no way to know that those points of damage came from the Wiz. Similarly, if the player creates an effect for a damage over time ability and applies it to a targeted NPC, FG would probably count the damage dealt correctly; if (as is often the case) the DM has to apply the effect to the NPC, it might not be "credited" to the PC correctly.

While I can see the value of having some metadata from the game session, I think in practice implementing this would be impractical, and would certainly eat up resources that (in my opinion) would be far better spent on things like DMG treasure generators and the Unity port. To accurately track damage dealt by characters would also necessarily restrict the ability of DMs to just apply damage or healing manually on the fly, which would commit the cardinal sin of making combat take longer.

Anyway, that's what I think about it.

This was what I was looking for :)

Yea, I addon like that or others like it should never change the way is played and yes I'm changing the healing and damage more often than not :)

I still might make an auto parser of the log fil for damage given and taken, all depends on the complexity of the data writen, I have to analyse that a little more.

Thanks for the help :)

/Andreas

Zacchaeus
October 18th, 2015, 17:09
If it is of any help (you may already know this) FG outputs the chatlog to the campaign you are playing as an HTML file.

Dragonan
October 18th, 2015, 18:06
If it is of any help (you may already know this) FG outputs the chatlog to the campaign you are playing as an HTML file.

Yea, I had found it, thanks :D

/Andreas

ddavison
October 19th, 2015, 14:55
We actually have a guy looking into this already as part of plans to make a campaign website creator. Some of the stats may not be feasible or accurate without additional changes to how we tag things in the system, but the idea was to do something similar to this. People like seeing how many of monster X they've defeated, which monsters they've encountered, damage dealt and received, average rolls, number of criticals, etc.

Full Bleed
October 20th, 2015, 08:01
People like seeing how many of monster X they've defeated, which monsters they've encountered, damage dealt and received, average rolls, number of criticals, etc.
Indeed they do. This sounds like a really fun feature. Though I'd prefer to see the information stored and accessible locally rather than just a part of a website.

I built a dice roll recorder in MT that my players use all the time to see what their current "Dice Karma" is. They can move their current record into long-term results and restart a new short-term record so that they can see how they've done historically versus a smaller sample size. That lets them see their hot and cold streaks more clearly... compare crits/fumbles... and helps reassure them that the RNG doesn't truly hate them (all the time). ;)

Some of the stats may not be feasible or accurate without additional changes to how we tag things in the system
Maybe the unity conversion offers a good opportunity to plan for that?

At any rate, I wanted to show support for the idea since I've seen how much players like to be able to access that kind of metadata.

epithet
October 21st, 2015, 01:13
Why would I want to destroy my persecution narrative? If I were to be faced with evidence that the dice do not, in fact, hate me... hell, I would have an identity crisis.

damned
October 21st, 2015, 03:24
Why would I want to destroy my persecution narrative? If I were to be faced with evidence that the dice do not, in fact, hate me... hell, I would have an identity crisis.

Embrace the failures!
Life is more *interesting* when you fail....