PDA

View Full Version : Multiple games using same server alias

Nate Grey
October 17th, 2015, 17:35
I dunno if our GM has PM'd anyone yet, but as mentioned in the thread title, I just encountered an issue with 2 other games sharing the same server alias as ours. I actually thought it was just one other game 'coz they were both (in) French, so I didn't realize that the other game was a different one from the first.

Is this meant to not be an issue since games are supposed to run at different times? It became an issue because I was supposed to do an update to my character at a certain time when the the GM said he'd have the game up. Turn's out he wasn't able to and I connected to the first other game. Then after our last game I was supposed to do some updates/tinkering again but my 'net cut out for a while and then it was the second other game that I got connected to.

GunnarGreybeard
October 18th, 2015, 11:51
That is odd. Maybe I'm just lucky but I've been using the same alias for almost a year now and haven't see that happen.

damned
October 18th, 2015, 13:04
ive not seen it reported either...
i believe it roughly works like this:

there is a list of key words (or 4 lists). each time someone requests and alias the next combination is given out and the last keyword increments, when that column gets to the last keyword the next one will also roll over column 3... just like counting...
the alias that is handed out is recorded in the db with the ip address that requested it.
eventually the 1st column will also roll over and it will basically be handing out aliases that have already been used some time ago... its possible that a new game and a long running game could end up with the same alias... eg - you have 30 names in each list, after 810,000 alias requests it is giving out duplicates - but far and away most of the first batch of 810,000 alias/ip combinations are no longer valid / in use - but it would be possible...

Artrem
October 18th, 2015, 15:39
Thanks for posting a message Nate, I have been meaning to post something, but have been busy.

We haven't been using the alias that long, only about 10 months or so. I have had over the past month, random people logging in while I was working on modules. I figured it was someone logging in off of a post of the server info in the past. I now have password my fantasy grounds campaigns, but wonder if there could potentially be connection issues in the future if we are both online with our fantasy grounds running.

Thanks for any help or thoughts. If someone with database access wants to look into it further, just let me know and I can send you the ip alias/addy info.

ddavison
October 19th, 2015, 14:47
If you want to send your alias info and your external IP that you use to [email protected], I can look it up to see what might be going on.

Artrem
October 20th, 2015, 09:22
Thanks for the offer to look into it. Message was sent.