PDA

View Full Version : Unity and extension compatibility

Ken L
October 17th, 2015, 11:07
What will 'break' during the update from 3.0 to unity? I'm not interested in developing an extension if it's only to break come the unity update. Will there be any backwards compatibility? I've heard a number of 'rule-sets' have broken during the transition from 2.0 -> 3.0, and I'd rather not invest my spare time in a system that will be upended.

I'd much rather wait for unity rather than develop anything for the current system if there's going be an overhaul.

dulux-oz
October 17th, 2015, 12:52
Hi Ken,

Yes, unfortunately a number of (no-longer or lightly supported) Rulesets originally written under FG2 "broke" when we moved to FGv3. Most, however, have been fixed by their Community Devs and so now work with the new "Layered-Ruleset" model introduced with FGv3.

Doug and Moon have stated time and again that they are endeavoring to maintain 100% backwards compatibility (one reason the Unity re-write is taking so long) so I personally have absolutely no fear on this account - but knowing me I'll probably want to do a few tweeks to my Extensions to take into account any new functionality.

So go ahead and become a Community Dev - we need more and you'll get plenty of help

Cheers

Ken L
October 17th, 2015, 13:23
I'd rather wait and see, I'm not very fond of Lua, reminds me too much of TCL.

dulux-oz
October 17th, 2015, 13:29
You realize, or course, that the Unity re-write has been stated to be at least a year away - that's a long time to be on hold :)

Ken L
October 17th, 2015, 13:53
My games are currently on hold, so I'm in no hurry, and these things are merely convenience. I don't want to have to maintain it simply because FG auto-updates itself and suddenly things are broken, even if it's only for my own use.

Compared with the number of other FOSS projects I'm involved in, my free time (small in itself) is already occupied by other activities. Writing in Lua is painful, it would be nice if they supported a Ruby or Python interpreter which probably won't happen. Given my reluctance to do anything in Lua, maintaining it due to system changes is very undesirable.

I'll stick to small things for my own personal use for now.