PDA

View Full Version : Demo questions from a beginner perspective

GarthGiantbane
October 17th, 2015, 04:36
I've loaded the demo, gone through most of the recent tutorial videos (congrats and kudos to the creators, well done) and played with the most of the interface with a localhost/client setup. I've scanned the forums for promising threads on these questions but I didn't find what I was looking for. (I've focused mostly on 5e)

Now, I'm on the cusp of purchasing some "stuff". My question is, will the 5e content work with the demo? For instance, can I get the just the fighter class and put it through it's paces with the demo version?

Secondly, when you use the character management function and build a character, do you have to export it and then import it to use in a game (that was the only way I found to do it)? I haven't test thoroughly how changes are handled in this scenario - if I make changes while in a game will I see those changes later if I load the character in the character management?

Does the full license behave differently with characters?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

ps: I just saw my tag. I guess I was looking at FG back in 2010. I didn't remember it had been that long ago. I saw the ad that you were officially partnered with WotC and that drew me back.

dulux-oz
October 17th, 2015, 04:44
Hi Garth, and Welcome Back!

The only real difference between the Demo and Full/Ultimate Licenses is that with the Demo License you can't save a campaign - ie you can't run a "real" game with it.

So yes, the 5E stuff will work with the Demo.

Yes, that's how Character Management works - but if a player is connected to a GM's copy then its simply easier to do it all in a "live" session - the Character Management Mode is really only for Player-Off-Line use (I and my Players never use it).

No the Full License behaves the same way (re: Character Management Mode).

Hope that helps

Cheers

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 04:52
So yes, the 5E stuff will work with the Demo.
I'm afraid it doesn't work . Any content that is stored in the encrypted content vault needs a valid licence.

You'll see in the 5E entries in the store: "Requirements: This content requires an active license to download and use."

dulux-oz
October 17th, 2015, 04:59
I'm afraid it doesn't work . Any content that is stored in the encrypted content vault needs a valid licence.

Oh, of course, I forgot the 5E stuff was encrypted - sorry about the incorrect info :( (Thanks for catching that, Tren)

GarthGiantbane
October 17th, 2015, 16:36
Thanks for the replies. I will probably buy a license to continue playing with it. Let me ask, the Ultimate upgrade - is that to upgrade the full license?

Back to characters, still trying to get this straight. If you want to have a character ready for a game, would you build it in the management mode and then export it? And then import it once you connect to the game? After that, if you want to take the same (improved hopefully) character to another game, you'd export it again to move it around? I'm interested in the Adventurers League play and a requirement if I want to use the same character in multiple games.

Thanks again for the prompt replies!

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 16:43
Let me ask, the Ultimate upgrade - is that to upgrade the full license?
Correct - upgrade from full.

If you want to have a character ready for a game, would you build it in the management mode and then export it? And then import it once you connect to the game?
If you make the PC in manage characters you have access to it in your character selection window when you join a GM and you can "load" it to the campaign then (just select it and FG auto loads the PC). You can also do the PC in manage characters or a test campaign and export the PC XML. Send the XML to the GM and they can load your PC into their campaign. Some GMs like this approach as it allows them to check the PC before the players join the game.

After that, if you want to take the same (improved hopefully) character to another game, you'd export it again to move it around? I'm interested in the Adventurers League play and a requirement if I want to use the same character in multiple games.
You can use Manage Characters to access a read-only version of PCs from campaigns you've played in. You can export the XML and load it back into standard manage characters to make changes etc.. So, yes, you have access to your PC after the end of a game and can export that PC for modification and later use in another game.

You can keep multiple PCs in manage characters, and also keep backups of the PCs by exporting to XML files.

There's lots of flexibility.