PDA

View Full Version : Using Fantasy Grounds on Multiple Monitors

firemedic490
October 16th, 2015, 20:19
I have two monitors connected to my computer. I have the desktop extended onto the second monitor. When I try to drag the Fantasy Grounds windows onto the second monitor they disappear off the screen of the first monitor but never show on the second monitor, even though the cursor makes it across. How do I make the windows from Fantasy Grounds go over to the second monitor?

Zacchaeus
October 16th, 2015, 20:40
You need to drag the fantasy Grounds window over the two monitors. The windows within FG can't 'escape' the FG window.

kwarner1986
October 22nd, 2015, 23:11
You can't maximize FG using two monitors. You have to use it in window mode and drag the edges over multiple monitors. Kind of annoying, but at least it works. Your other option is to hook up your 40" TV and use it as your monitor. :D

Nylanfs
October 23rd, 2015, 02:29
Or projector

Full Bleed
October 23rd, 2015, 09:15
Does anyone know if the Unity version is expected to support multi-monitors better?

damned
October 23rd, 2015, 09:50
Does anyone know if the Unity version is expected to support multi-monitors better?

It is expected to - yes. It might not be available on the initial release but it is a common request and teh devs have indicated it is likely to happen. To be fair - very few programs will full screen across two monitors, especially two monitors of different resolutions. Because of the propensity (of GMs in particular) to have 18 windows open it would be useful for this platform. In my experience the most common way this is done is to be able to have two or more docks that can be dragged to different location - like the GiMP drawing app does - as this then more easily supports differing resolutions.

Moon Wizard
October 23rd, 2015, 17:45
Actually, from what we have found so far, Unity does not support undocked windows natively, so this appears unlikely. We have already run into this issue with recreating the console within the Unity prototype.

If someone has info otherwise for Unity functionality to support this (that doesn't require third party DLLs unlikely to be portable across all platforms), let us know.

Cheers,
JPG

midas
October 23rd, 2015, 21:54
As a workaround I wounder if Unity would allow FG to run fullscreen on two monitors--even better if it could do so if they're different resolutions.

damned
October 24th, 2015, 00:13
Actually, from what we have found so far, Unity does not support undocked windows natively, so this appears unlikely. We have already run into this issue with recreating the console within the Unity prototype.

Im not that surprised. Very few applications do support multi-screen.

PsychoPif
November 13th, 2015, 12:44
As long as we can keep running 2 instance on the same computer with the same licenses.

Full Bleed
November 13th, 2015, 13:36

If someone has info otherwise for Unity functionality to support this (that doesn't require third party DLLs unlikely to be portable across all platforms), let us know.
I wonder if some functionality could be split off as a second, linked executable to foster multi-monitor support more easily. Even if it was just one core component (like the combat tracker or chat window) it would be a big help.

OneSidedDie
November 13th, 2015, 15:28
As long as we can keep running 2 instance on the same computer with the same licenses.

Maybe this is the answer. I think that multiple GMs in a game was a requested feature. If we could open two instances of FG and run both as a DM (hiding unneeded interface elements in the 2nd instance) you may be able to aproximate this.

Baron28
November 13th, 2015, 16:14
If I enough physical desktop space I would run FG across 3 monitors. 1 for the map. 1 for the chat window, combat tracker, party sheet, and story. 1 for this cool reference table mod I have and/or opening PHB, MM, and (when it becomes available) DMG mod files.

Nylanfs
November 13th, 2015, 20:44
I can't wait for AR (and/or VR) so we can get rid of monitors

PsychoPif
December 11th, 2015, 15:40

Cheers,
JPG

Just wanted to come and tell you something you might already know :) The new version of Unity now support multiple display:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/MultiDisplay.html

Nylanfs
December 11th, 2015, 17:01
I believe that's only planned for Windows ATM isn't it.

PsychoPif
December 11th, 2015, 17:13
Note that Multi-display runs in stand alone mode only, and the feature is currently supported on Windows, Mac and Linux.

It's all PCs platforms.

PsychoPif
December 11th, 2015, 18:26
double post

ddavison
December 11th, 2015, 19:21
Okay, cool. They've evidently expanded it. Originally it was only working for Windows PCs.