PDA

View Full Version : This Forum and a Plea!

Ilwan
January 23rd, 2005, 23:05
I enjoy reading these message boards alot and have a look at least twice a day. The support and replies so far have been very good and the community is growing day by day. On the other hand I am afraid the boards become to crowded by new messages and that it will become impossible someday to check on all new messages, as I have done so far.
I would therefore ask people not to make a new topic for each post. If You have some downloads availeable, please dont make a new topic for each of them. You could make a topic called "x-user´s Art Downloads" or similar and each time there is something new availeable, post it as update in the same thread. U can with the edit command change the original post also. I would also advice people to consider only to make their own art (made by themselves or with a licence to publish) availeable for download. That is of course up to the user himself, but still an issue of copyright.
I dont hope I offend anyone, but with the community growing I am afraid the boards become unmanageable, not only for me but also for the developers and their high standard of supporting us (which probably is alot of work).

richvalle
January 23rd, 2005, 23:16
Nice idea. I like the idea about editing the original post with the new downloads. I've seen this done on other boards and it works well.

So you can have all the downloads in the first post of the thread and then all the comments, words of thanks ect added afterwards.

rv

Elric
January 23rd, 2005, 23:19
I think there ought to be a separate forum itself (like Dundjinni does) that is nothing but new artwork, maps, tokens, character sheets, etc. :wink:

msd
January 24th, 2005, 04:49
I enjoy reading these message boards alot and have a look at least twice a day. The support and replies so far have been very good and the community is growing day by day. On the other hand I am afraid the boards become to crowded by new messages and that it will become impossible someday to check on all new messages, as I have done so far.
I would therefore ask people not to make a new topic for each post. If You have some downloads availeable, please dont make a new topic for each of them. You could make a topic called "x-user´s Art Downloads" or similar and each time there is something new availeable, post it as update in the same thread. U can with the edit command change the original post also. I would also advice people to consider only to make their own art (made by themselves or with a licence to publish) availeable for download. That is of course up to the user himself, but still an issue of copyright.
I dont hope I offend anyone, but with the community growing I am afraid the boards become unmanageable, not only for me but also for the developers and their high standard of supporting us (which probably is alot of work).

As this is at best thinly veiled, I'll go ahead and bite...

Per your "plea" and you "fears", I took down the multiple posts referencing art. I will consolidate them in a single thread at some later point in time.

Regarding your reminder as to the legality of distribution, everything I have posted has either fully complied with the terms of Dundjinni's end-user license (in the case of maps), or has been released under the Open Gaming License (in the case of the images).

Matt

Ged
January 24th, 2005, 05:49
We will be adding a new section to these forums for actual goodies offered by other players. That way discussion, customer support and modifications forums (ie Tavern, House of Healing and Workshop) will also be more manageable. As we add the new forum, we'll probably move all posts of player-made content there - so don't be surprised, if some post isn't here anymore.

DM Greg
January 25th, 2005, 19:12

Regarding your reminder as to the legality of distribution, everything I have posted has either fully complied with the terms of Dundjinni's end-user license (in the case of maps), or has been released under the Open Gaming License (in the case of the images).
Matt

Not to pick a nit...well yes I do mean to pick this one. While the pictures you are releasing fall under the OGL you have not attached the copy of license as a readme with your zips. In fact you are violating sections 6 and 8 respectivley:

6.Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT
NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of
the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You
are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the
title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the
COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you
Distribute.

To remedy this you must include the following line.

Character Portraits: Fantasy Heroes copyright 2003, Mongoose
Publishing

8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must
clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing
are Open Game Content.

To remedy this you must include the following line somewhere in your readme.

Character Portraits: Fantasy Heroes
is presented under the Open Game Licence. All artwork and text, with the exception of the colour images on the cover are considered to be Open Game Content.

So without giving Mongoose Publishing their due (in the copyright nod) you are giving away published material for free. Your purchase of Fantasy Heroes for personal use is fine but once you share it on the web without the correct licensing and saying "It is'nt my art" does not comply with the OGL.

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com

msd
January 25th, 2005, 19:46

Matt

Not to pick a nit...well yes I do mean to pick this one. While the pictures you are releasing fall under the OGL you have not attached the copy of license as a readme with your zips. In fact you are violating sections 6 and 8 respectivley:

6.Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT
NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of
the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You
are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the
title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the
COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you
Distribute.

To remedy this you must include the following line.

Character Portraits: Fantasy Heroes copyright 2003, Mongoose
Publishing

8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must
clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing
are Open Game Content.

To remedy this you must include the following line somewhere in your readme.

Character Portraits: Fantasy Heroes
is presented under the Open Game Licence. All artwork and text, with the exception of the colour images on the cover are considered to be Open Game Content.

So without giving Mongoose Publishing their due (in the copyright nod) you are giving away published material for free. Your purchase of Fantasy Heroes for personal use is fine but once you share it on the web without the correct licensing and saying "It is'nt my art" does not comply with the OGL.

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com

Actually, the zip files that have been sitting on the site for the last couple of days include a file called OGL.txt that have the updated information which I believe is correct.

DM Greg
January 25th, 2005, 20:00
Actually, the zip files that have been sitting on the site for the last couple of days include a file called OGL.txt that have the updated information which I believe is correct.

Excellent. I downloaded an early sample that did not have the text file. I envisioned all of the Mongoose stuff being used for this exact type of gaming!

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com

msd
January 25th, 2005, 20:29
I envisioned all of the Mongoose stuff being used for this exact type of gaming!

Do you know of other sources for this kind of stuff? IIRC, I paid $5 for the Mongoose pack at rpgshop.com, but I can't seem to find anything like it that is similar.

Any thoughts?

richvalle
January 25th, 2005, 20:38
This is where I though you were getting your art from... maybe it is or maybe its different:

https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/pc

rv

DM Greg
January 25th, 2005, 21:58
These are the products I own and am using for my personal game. Most of them are OGL'd or require a simple disclaimer/copyright to be used.

rpgnow has:

Mongoose Publishing
Fantasy Heroes: https://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=300&products_id=2134&

Fantasy Heroines: https://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=300&products_id=2135&

Ronin Arts (most of these you cannot resell but you may bundle with a copyright and distribute)
Fantasy Filler Art (used for objects vs. portraits)

Mad Elf has quite few packs of art (portraits, pics and items)
https://www.rpgnow.com/default.php?manufacturers_id=617

LPJ Design: https://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=308&products_id=1972&

Larry Elmore has his cd-rom of images that are OGL'd.
https://www.larryelmore.com/popups/misc/special02.htm

Later,

Greg Volz
Natural Twenty Gaming
www.naturaltwenty.com