PDA

View Full Version : I've got this odd issue....

Mirloc
October 15th, 2015, 08:21
On my laptop, after a while (the time is variable, I've had it work fine for an hour or more and other times the issue creeps up on me after only 15 minutes) I lose the ability to see a number of letters/numbers.

For example, this last time it happened, I lost the ability to see 'c' and 'F', yes - lowercase c and uppercase F. To fix it, I close out of the campaign I am working on back to the launcher and re-launch - everything is fine for a while.

I know I have the latest Direct X 9, and Direct X 12 (which comes with Windows 10).

I've been playing with the settings in the AMD card (AMD Radeon HD 8790M) and the Intel card (Intel HD Graphics 4600), but nothing I've come up with has been the answer. so anyone have any ideas?

Trenloe
October 15th, 2015, 13:53
Are you using /scaleui to change the "zoom" scaling of FG? Is your laptop going into sleep or even just blanking the screen? Is it switching between the two graphics cards? Are you running on power or the battery?

Mirloc
October 22nd, 2015, 02:28
Sorry for taking so long to reply, it's been a busy week. Anyhow, on to your questions.

I am not using /scaleui.
Laptop is not going to sleep, nor blanking the screen, in fact the power features are on maximum performance, and the monitor is explicitly set to stay on.
The AMD card is set explicitly to run FG, so once the executable starts, the Intel graphics card hands off to the AMD card. (I've since also updated the drivers for both, but the problem still remains.)
I (almost) always run on AC power, though I do exercise the battery every so often, but never when using FG.

Trenloe
October 22nd, 2015, 06:18
So you're dynamically swapping graphics cards? I'd recommend manually setting one of the graphics cards for the whole windows session, and start with that graphics card enabled - don't swap it once Windows is running. Run FG and see if you get the issue. If you do, try swapping to the other graphics card for the whole session (restart Windows) and see if the issue will occur. I've had issues with hot swapping of graphics cards and DirectX applications.

Mirloc
October 23rd, 2015, 06:03
No, I've tried with both cards set as the active card.

Strangely enough, last night I got an update of the AMD card's drivers. Since then I've had no issues at all. Looks like it was nothing more than a driver issue. Thanks Trenloe.