PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible for sound made to all Players and GM when natural 1 or 20 rolled

Hurske
October 15th, 2015, 02:27
Hi everyone, unfortunately I am not experienced enough to even attempt this. But is there an existing script or extension that would make a sound anytime someone rolled a critical failure or success, and to be heard by everyone?

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2015, 07:54
There is not currently any sound support in the Fantasy Grounds API another than a basic system bell sound. You can vote for sounds in the wish list in my sig.

Cheers,
JPG

Hurske
October 15th, 2015, 08:05
Moon wizard, what about the chime and halt action that produce sound, those would suffice, unless I'm going crazy and imagining those sounds.

Moon Wizard
October 15th, 2015, 08:16
There's the User.ringBell API call that makes the basic chime sound. The only other sound is the halt sound, and it is not accessible through the API. The ringBell API is currently used to notify players when it is their turn in the combat tracker.

You could write an extension to ring the bell on a critical hit, but it would end up having to replace the ActionAttack global script and probably be updated most FG releases.

Regards,
JPG

Wolfheart
October 15th, 2015, 09:13
I believe that Fantasy Grounds would become an even stronger competitor if it had more sound; after all, sound is a really good way to immerse players. Even movie makers say that sound (music, sound effects) is 75% of the experience.

The best solution would be to have a number of sound options that players/GMs can turn on/off at will.

Personally I'd love to hear the dice hit the table, with sound effects matching the number of dice rolled (roll 3d6 and you hear 3 six-siders rolling). I don't know how hard it would be to integrate this in a way that made it sound as realistic as possible, or how hard it would be to program something like that (probably hard).

Other examples could be:
- A set of sound effects the DM can apply to certain rolls (the sound of a sword hitting armor, for example, or birds chirping for "foresty" scenes, or sounds that represent the time of day, a torch flaring to life, dungeon ambience, orc growls, etc etc lots of possibilities here, obviously).
- Sound effects for when a map is opened/closed, sound effects for clicking various buttons..stuff like that.

I also hope and wish that the next major version of the software adds the opportunity for DMs to stream music through FG, for me background music is an incredibly important part of the game experience, to the point that I usually create playlists for the session ahead, designate certain pieces of music as "themes" for PCs and important NPCs, etc.

By needing to use third-party software to stream music I feel FG loses a few points. It would be convenient to be able to set up a playlist of tracks from my hard drive to stream through FG itself, with a volume control for the DM and / or each player. Again, I don't know if this is in the works, but the importance of sound (for immersion) cannot be understated (IMO).

Monkeywithtacos
October 15th, 2015, 18:09
I was just thinking the same thing last night during my groups weekly play session. It would certainly be awesome to have as Wolfheart has articulated!

~MwT

Zacchaeus
October 15th, 2015, 20:44
I see people bemoaning the lack of music and also various posts about using Teamspeak etc to implement it and I wonder when do you play this music, and since there is always someone saying something doesn't it just get in the way?

Trenloe
October 15th, 2015, 22:32
I see people bemoaning the lack of music and also various posts about using Teamspeak etc to implement it and I wonder when do you play this music, and since there is always someone saying something doesn't it just get in the way?
I use background music/SFX in all of my games. I use another TS instance and join the same channel and permanently transmit. The separate instance from my speaking instance allows players to reduce the volume to a point where they can still hear it as background music but still hear people talking. Works very well.

Some further info in this thread: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20301-Ambiance&p=166294&viewfull=1#post166294

damned
October 16th, 2015, 11:26
Tenloe - recent changes to the permissions on TS server allow the channel admin to set each player as a priority speaker. That does dilute the GMs ability to speak over everyone else but it also means that when anyone speaks the music volume automatically lowers and then picks up again once the speaking has stopped :)

Trenloe
October 16th, 2015, 15:55
Tenloe - recent changes to the permissions on TS server allow the channel admin to set each player as a priority speaker. That does dilute the GMs ability to speak over everyone else but it also means that when anyone speaks the music volume automatically lowers and then picks up again once the speaking has stopped :)
Yeah, but as you say this dilutes the GM as a speaker. If everyone is set as a priority speaker then there's not much point in having priority speakers. And, if people are speaking most of the time the background music is reduced considerably to the point of not hearing it very often - so it's not really background music at that point. Having a music channel, without assigning priority speakers, gives much better flexibility as each player can adjust the volume to their own tastes. Some like it quite loud, others have it softer.

But, there is the flexibility of using the priority speaker functionality if people want to. It's not for me though as the background music constantly fading in and out as people speak is not something I like. Plus, if you're using sound effects as well as music, then the thunder and lightning sound effect I'd use while describing storm (for example) would be attenuated too and lose a lot of it's impact.