PDA

View Full Version : Automatic save doesn't...and sometimes manual doesn't (HotDQ campaign)

Cerevant
October 15th, 2015, 01:13
Hello All,

I'm using FG 3.1.2 Ultimate in Parallels (Windows 7) on a iMac. (Purchased on Steam for the supported Mac version, then learned that the supported Mac version doesn't support DLC purchased from Steam)

We've been playing Hoard of the Dragon Queen, and have noticed that about 2/3 of the time the game will not save on its own...I'll quit the game, load up the campaign the following session, and find that we are at exactly the same point we started the previous session.

A few weeks ago I accidentally stumbled across the /save command and was thrilled - I started using that before we quit, and for two sessions it worked. I loaded up our last session tonight and everything was back as it was at the start of the previous session.

I have the campaign loaded up now, have made some edits to get back to where we were (un-masking, moving tokens) and the only file date that has changed in the campaign data folder is temp. Looks like the files there are just capturing mask states, and that folder appears to have stopped updating since the only remote client disconnected.

I don't have any cloud sync or backup on the files in the VM.

Any suggestions for debugging?

ddavison
October 15th, 2015, 01:51
Steam DLC doesn't get recognized, but we are able to link it with your FG forum account so that you don't have to run on Parallels if you don't want to.

Do you have the application data folder set to a location that does network syncing of some sort? [Okay, just saw that you already ruled that out]

It sounds like the file is not getting written to or closed out properly. The few other reports we have had for this issue were also on Mac systems, and seemed to be related to how they closed the application and it not allowing the application to properly close (that is my guess, at least.) In those situations where FG's save file gets corrupted, you should receive a warning when you go back into the system and there should be multiple campaign xml files present. When you exit, are you right-clicking on the empty portion of the desktop and telling it to Exit to Main Menu or Exit to Windows or are you closing it another way?

Cerevant
October 15th, 2015, 02:14
So here's my followup test for this evening:

I let it sit for an hour, and the file date didn't change on anything in the campaign folder. I did a /save and the temp folder was cleared out, but no other files changed. I used the Exit to launcher radial menu, and still to change to the filesystem. Exit the game. Reload and nothing was saved. No warning about a bad shutdown. Tried again with exit to Windows, same effect.

Only clue I can offer is that whatever you did to flush / finalize the files in the temp directory worked. Anything different in the handling there?

I would like to migrate to the Mac version to see if it behaves any differently there. What would be the process to get the DLC on that version?

ddavison
October 15th, 2015, 02:21
Send a screenshot of your launch screen and your settings screen for FG and what you have entered for the paths for the program files and the application data folder. Also, make sure the main launch screen doesn't say "FREE" anywhere. It should say ULTIMATE right after the version #.

To get the DLC set up for Mac, please include proof of purchase in your email, along with the FG forum username you want to use for your account (Cerevant, I presume, but include again in the email for completeness.)

Cerevant
October 15th, 2015, 11:57
Thanks so much! Things seem to be working much better with the Wineskin (who would guess?)

Let me know if you want me to try anything on the Parallels setup to track this down.

ddavison
October 15th, 2015, 16:49
Please be aware that we have a known issue that has been reported with users who upgrade to El Capitan that requires some system changes to correct. We don't yet have the best solution for this, other than disabling something on your OS.

Cerevant
October 15th, 2015, 21:05
Is that the X-Windows error? I've done a fresh wineskin install (not steam) with he latest versions and everything seems to be working smoothly. (I'm running El Capitan)

damned
October 16th, 2015, 11:27
Hey Cerevant that is the X-windows error and yes the latest wineskin *should* fix that issue.

Cerevant
October 16th, 2015, 13:53
Thanks - just posted an update in that thread: not sure if this is a new feature, but you can configure the wineskin to run without using X.