PDA

View Full Version : Oh gosh please help!

zmenosky
October 14th, 2015, 12:49
Hello fellow players,

I've recently come across Fantasy Grounds and am absolutely sold. My fascination with D&D is through the roof, yet I've never played. I know, it sounds crazy. I suppose I've never had the opportunity in person with pen and paper. This seems like the perfect medium for me to start playing, but I need some help. Obviously, I need to get my hands on a rule book, but I'm curious if any of these purchases on here come with the rulebook, or do I need to physically go out a buy it? Any other tips on learning how to play? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

kylania
October 14th, 2015, 12:54
The Core Class Pack is essentially the Player's Handbook, so a good place to start.

The Lost Mines of Phandelver also comes with the Basic Rules and a few core classes to start with. It includes everything you need to play the adventure and a lot of information on how to run it as a new Dungeon Master.

You can download the free Basic Rules for D&D here to learn the basics: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

dulux-oz
October 14th, 2015, 12:57
Hi zmenosky, and Welcome!

Tips on playing: Let me encourage you to watch some of the Tutorial Videos available on the FG Wiki - damned's are good, as are Xorn's, and people seem to like mine as well (mine are also available from the links in my sig, below). Start with the ones on the CoreRPG, because the CoreRPG Ruleset forms the foundation of all of practically all of the Rulesets that we use with FG, and by learning how to use the CoreRPG you'll learn about 80% of what you need to know to use any RPG with FG.

Join in on the free FG-Con this weekend, play a few games and meet some people.

As far as a Rulebook is concerned - well, I like to have a physical rulebook with me when I learn anew RPG (Role-Playing Game), so I'd go and buy one - but you don't need one if you can find someone else to teach you (but you'll probably want one anyway). In fact, getting someone else to show you is the best way to learn an RPG anyway - trying to teach yourself can be v. confusing - I know, I did that back in 1982 :)

Others will have their opinions, but for what its worth these are mine :)

Cheers

Mask_of_winter
October 14th, 2015, 13:45
Hi zmenosky! Welcome to the community. Here's the link to FG Con7. https://www.fg-con.com/
This is an online convention for Fantasy Grounds. We have around 50 events, some are Pathfinder, others are D&D5e, Savage Worlds, Call of Cthulhu and others. All these events require for you to join is a demo license, the TeamSpeak client installed and a working headset. This event was created so people could try new game systems or for people like you, new to table top RPGs and/or Fantasy Grounds. Come check it out and sign up for a game or three!

epithet
October 14th, 2015, 21:09
I would definitely start by downloading and reading the basic rules that kylania linked above, so that you are familiar with the terminology and the fundamentals of the game. Then, just get into a game. If you can join a game at FG Con go for it, otherwise check out the Game Calendar link under the banner at the top of the page and look for a game.

Welcome to your new favorite hobby!

zmenosky
October 15th, 2015, 01:01
Thank you all for the wonderful help!! I have no doubt this will consume my life :P

Baron Von Mandrick
October 15th, 2015, 01:57
Thank you all for the wonderful help!! I have no doubt this will consume my life :P

Oh it will. Don't worry about that. But's it's a pleasant and rewarding kind of consumption.

whiteTiki
October 15th, 2015, 01:59
Don't worry about that.

You should worry

Willot
October 15th, 2015, 21:45

"one of us"..."one of us" ..."one of us"..."one of us"..."one of us"..."one of us"..."one of us"..."one of us"..."one of us"..."one of us"..."one of us"..."one of us"...

seycyrus
October 16th, 2015, 01:03
Hello fellow players,

I've recently come across Fantasy Grounds and am absolutely sold. My fascination with D&D is through the roof, yet I've never played...

Well met! I'm always curious when I run across a post like yours. Hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions. How long have you known about D&D, and what prevented you from playing before? Do you read a lot of fantasy and science fiction, or was your exposure to the world of rpg solely through movies and video games? Would you say you are fairly old, or fairly young?

zmenosky
October 18th, 2015, 01:12
Well met! I'm always curious when I run across a post like yours. Hope you don't mind if I ask you a couple of questions. How long have you known about D&D, and what prevented you from playing before? Do you read a lot of fantasy and science fiction, or was your exposure to the world of rpg solely through movies and video games? Would you say you are fairly old, or fairly young?

Hello there! :) I'm 25, so a fairly young gamer. I've always been a huge sucker for fantasy and science fiction anything. Movies, video games, tabletop, anything! I've played a lot of Warhammer 40k tabletop, a lot of Magic the Gather, but I've never truly been exposed to D&D. I know what it is, and the general idea behind it, but I don't know the in's and out's of how to play....yet. Hehe. As I no longer have the time to devote to my local game store, I'm finding that the online medium has a lot to offer a newbie to D&D

whiteTiki
October 18th, 2015, 03:12
Hello there! :) I'm 25, so a fairly young gamer. I've always been a huge sucker for fantasy and science fiction anything. Movies, video games, tabletop, anything! I've played a lot of Warhammer 40k tabletop, a lot of Magic the Gather, but I've never truly been exposed to D&D. I know what it is, and the general idea behind it, but I don't know the in's and out's of how to play....yet. Hehe. As I no longer have the time to devote to my local game store, I'm finding that the online medium has a lot to offer a newbie to D&D

Hi there Zmenosky. I must say you came to the perfect place. D&D is a whole new world with a lot of things to learn and discover. The 5th edition its personally my favorite after the 3.5 edition. I've used 4 Virtual Tabletops in total and I must admit that Fantasy Grounds is by far the best of them. It's really a complete software with much to learn just by itself but the most amazing thing is the experience it offers. Fantasy Grounds is, in my opinion, the best VTT for many reasons and the interesting part it's that is growing really fast, becoming more popular and it's also in partnership with Wizards of the Coast to bring you official D&D content to the software.

For your specific case, there's a lot of information you can find for free in the official D&D page to let you start with this new experience and there's a lot of info and tutorials too on Fantasy Grounds. The best part is that it offers a public calendar where campaigns are created and managed so that you can search, find and join a game that fits to your available time.

I hope you like this community and I hope you join the action soon.

Cheers!