PDA

View Full Version : Using Zones in Savage Worlds with FG for IZ2 Campaign

mghauber
October 14th, 2015, 02:32
Hello All,
Getting geared up for a Savage Worlds/Interface Zero 2.0 micro campaign and was hoping to use the Savage Worlds Zones rules attached...because I think they are neat and want to try them. All credit to the author.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11339&stc=1&d=1444785447

My question is this....has anyone ever used these rules in a FG setting, and how have you used them? For example...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=11340&stc=1&d=1444785611

The attached is the map I wish to use of an area of the Steelyards where an encounter will take place. I have tried placing a very small grid on the map...about 20x20 pixels...so that the tokens are very small in relation to the size of the map, however, the grid "muddies" an already large map. If I do not use a grid (as the image already has the "zones" in place) then the tokens are difficult to scale down to the scale I want them.

My solution is to make some custom dot tokens at about 30x30 pixels and have them loaded and ready to use. I'm thinking that may work. I was going to run this by everyone and see if any of you big brained folks out there have any epiphanies that haven't struck me yet. Or, I may be just trying to do things the hard way....

I want to keep the idea of a large area and keep the weapon combat on a grand scale to better utilize ranges/cover/and more abstract things that the PLAYERS can interject into the scene instead of everything being spoon fed so to speak. Grids are great for battle axes and swords, but I'm feeling more the sniper rifle and rocket launcher feel and let the players imagine the action.

Thanks in advance for the input.

P.S. For any of my would-be players, don't worry about seeing the map...it won't spoil too much.

Dr0W
October 14th, 2015, 04:05
I've used these rules not on SW but on systems that have native rules to use this (Numenera, FATE). From my understanding the point of using zone rules is... not using a map at all. All you need is a blank map with the name of the places written on each zone. So if you're using this, abandon all maps, it's to be used on an abstract way.

But if you want to use it with maps, get your favorite image editor and draw some circles around the areas you wish to designate as zones and write names on it and you're good to go. However I don't really like these rules for SW, I do think that even tough combat in zones is a really cool concept you miss cool stuff when you use it on SW.

Now what would REALLY be great (at least for Savage Worlds)? If we could turn off the grid visibility or if we could use measurements without the need of a grid. I've already tried with my players and it works really well for SW: We turn on grid, then Snap-to-Grid off and then we try our best to ignore that those hexes exist. When you move the miniatures the range is displayed and when you target something too, so we play using just that. If a mini e near another mini we say it's engaged on melee and that's it (if in doubt just target the other mini and if the range is 0" then it's melee). So if only we could turn grid visibility off you could set up really small squares (or hexes) and play with that on a bigass map you could snipe all day.

mghauber
October 30th, 2015, 14:27
Thought I would give an update to this in case anyone can find it useful. The group played last Wed and I used the map with a GIMP placed grid on it about 120 pixels square. I also made some basic 25x25 pixel tokens for use on the map. They scaled very well, and the effect wasn't too bad. I did not use a grid on the map through FG, we just used the targeting and other functions.The PC with the rifle was able to use it pretty effectively, and more thought was given to ranges and cover and line of site.

It was not as intense of an encounter as I had hoped (partially due to the PC's doing unexpected things), but I think the "zone rules" worked out very nicely. Definitely something to try again. As with any new group, there are still those learning the system and the setting, and as time goes on, perhaps it will get better.

I would love to try an extension for FG that utilizes the zone rules. Never tried one before. Are they only for the programming gods, or are mere mortals able to tinker with things like this?

damned
October 31st, 2015, 01:18
mghauber - definitely us mere mortals can tinker with extensions... they can vary though from very basic - replacing a font or a graphic to quite complex when you start modifying rolls and checking ranges etc...

Ikael
October 31st, 2015, 08:52
Thought I would give an update to this in case anyone can find it useful. The group played last Wed and I used the map with a GIMP placed grid on it about 120 pixels square. I also made some basic 25x25 pixel tokens for use on the map. They scaled very well, and the effect wasn't too bad. I did not use a grid on the map through FG, we just used the targeting and other functions.The PC with the rifle was able to use it pretty effectively, and more thought was given to ranges and cover and line of site.

It was not as intense of an encounter as I had hoped (partially due to the PC's doing unexpected things), but I think the "zone rules" worked out very nicely. Definitely something to try again. As with any new group, there are still those learning the system and the setting, and as time goes on, perhaps it will get better.

I would love to try an extension for FG that utilizes the zone rules. Never tried one before. Are they only for the programming gods, or are mere mortals able to tinker with things like this?

Where would you need extension for this? Only small things I can figure out are "Running" (you can do this easily with new SW v4.2 API) and Range auto-conversion (from original to Zone version~ doable but more tricker). What else can you think of?

PS: these rules are interesting and I could find myself trying them out. If you get some extensions done for this I am definitely going to playtest them

mghauber
October 31st, 2015, 16:44
Not sure about the extension because you are correct, there is not a lot that needs to be altered. I am unaware of the range conversion in 4.2. I'll have to look at that. I guess I was looking more at the ability to somehow "place" the zones through FG to make them auto calculate ranges and such. I'll admit, I need to get more experience with GMing in SW first before I start tinkering with things. I'm pretty sure an extension is beyond my ability anyway after looming at what is required.

The zone rules are IMO very good while still retaining the use of edges and whatnot. Just seems to allow for more distant combats easier....it also brings the players more into determining the setting as well. When they would seek cover, i asked them to describe what was around them. Just seemed to get the players more involved. Opinion of kne. Thanks for your suggestions.... I'll keep posting as I find new ways to do things.