PDA

View Full Version : New character

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2015, 12:25
Alrighteeee.

I decided that I should investigate some of the other rulesets other than 5e so I have signed up for a Pathfinder thingie at the forthcoming FGCon and so I thought well let's get our character created. Well, easier said than done it seems. Creating a new character gives me a script error, Adding in hp gives me a script error, dragging an NPC to the combat tracker gives me 5 script errors, trying to make an attack gives me a script error and doesn't show anything in the chat window and doesn't apply the attack.

So clearly I'm doing it wrong; so if anyone has any ideas do please let me know. :)

Nickademus
October 12th, 2015, 14:38
My first guess is that something is wrong with your PF ruleset (and thus 3.5e ruleset). Are you running a test or dev version? Have you updated recently? Might want to make sure you are using an up-to-date live version of PF. Script errors usually don't happen in that abundance.

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2015, 15:26
Indeed, this was my first guess too so I reloaded them all back in but to no avail. One thing I have noticed is when I load in it doesn't mention PFRPG in the list of rulesets in the chatbox, only 3.5. I'm guessing that it should show PFRPG?

Trenloe
October 12th, 2015, 15:28
Yes, you,should see PFRPG as the last ruleset to load in the chat window. Create a PFRPG campaign, not 3.5e. But, this wouldn't explain the errors you're getting. Have you activated any extensions?

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2015, 15:32
No, extensions and it is a PFRPG campaign. One thing - that does come with FG yes? Or should I have bought stuff?

Nickademus
October 12th, 2015, 15:51
It does. PF is free and a Smite Works ruleset. Weird.

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2015, 16:07
I have traced the problem. For some obscure reason PFRPG existed as a .pak file and as a folder in my rulesets folder. The PFRPG folder seemed to have the same files as in the .pak file. At any rate once the folder was removed the PFRPG ruleset now loads and there are no more script errors.

Nothing to see here any more; move along please :)

Nylanfs
October 12th, 2015, 17:23
<<insert shameless plug>>
Zac might I suggest using PCGen to create and then import your character. :)

jshauber
October 12th, 2015, 17:47
<<insert shameless plug>>
Zac might I suggest using PCGen to create and then import your character. :)

Especially if playing A Pathfinder Society game. It should have all the PFS restrictions built in so you don't make something illegal. I know Herolab does, so I am assuming PCGEN does as well...of course you know what they say about assuming.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2015, 17:50
Some info on preparing and importing a PFS PC here: https://www.fg-con.com/information/pathfinder-society-organized-play/

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2015, 17:55
Thanks chaps, I actually have HeroLab, but I wanted to try and build it within FG from scratch just to see what it was like. It's been a very long time since 3.5. :)

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2015, 20:07
So, I'm just checking (I know I could trawl the forums etc but my time is getting severely limited before FGCon this weekend) I take it that abilities - such as the Paladin's Smite Evil or Lay on Hands can't be set up as separate effects in themselves like in 5e?

What I have done is add a new spell class for each ability and footer (Scottish word meaning fiddle) around with that adding in the various effects and I actually got them all to work too. Anyway, I'm not missing something am I?

Trenloe
October 12th, 2015, 20:33
What I have done is add a new spell class for each ability and footer (Scottish word meaning fiddle) around with that adding in the various effects and I actually got them all to work too. Anyway, I'm not missing something am I?
Don't do a new spell class for each ability, do a single spell class called "Abilities" and add in new "spells" which will actually be holders for your ability effects.

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2015, 20:43
Don't do a new spell class for each ability, do a single spell class called "Abilities" and add in new "spells" which will actually be holders for your ability effects.

Yeah, that was my first thought but then everything had different uses per day/rest etc and I couldn't see a way to make those. But I guess I could just make them different 'spell' levels so I give myself 7 level 1 slots and make that 'Lay on Hands' and give myself 2 2nd level slots and make that 'Smite Evil'. I might just leave it :)

Trenloe
October 12th, 2015, 20:55
Yeah, that was my first thought but then everything had different uses per day/rest etc and I couldn't see a way to make those. But I guess I could just make them different 'spell' levels so I give myself 7 level 1 slots and make that 'Lay on Hands' and give myself 2 2nd level slots and make that 'Smite Evil'. I might just leave it :)
You don't need to go to that level. Add 10 uses for the 1st level spell slots (basically, as many uses as you might want for one ability), make sure you're in preparation mode and just click the circles to the left of the "spell" as many uses for each ability as you want.

In your example above, add 7 uses to level 1 in the "spell" class, then in preparation mode add seven circles to Lay on Hands and two circles to Smite Evil.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2015, 21:06
Looking something like this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39085830/Screenshots/Fantasy%20Grounds/PFRPG/Ability%20Spell%20Class.jpg

7 slots added to level 1.
Preparation mode.
Lay on Hands added as a new spell and 7 uses selected (the circles to the left).
Smite Evil added as a spell and 2 uses selected.

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2015, 21:46
You're just too clever Trenloe. :)