PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a one night gaming event

The Rouse
October 12th, 2015, 04:19
Hi everyone,

A little background first.

In my face to face group, I am doing a one night Halloween special adventure. We have all just started playing 5e and are in the middle of the mines of Phandelver campaign. The players regular PCs, who are level 3-4, will be kidnapped by a necromancer to be used in a ritual to make the necromancer a lich.

The players will have to play the high level (level 15) PCs who must rescue the party before they ritual if completed. They will face iconic Halloween characters such as scarecrows, hordes of skeletons, Frankenstein's monster, vampires and lots of other monsters. To create a sense of urgency during the game, I will use a real 4.5 hour burn candle as a prop that will be part of the story. They will have to complete the rescue before the candle burns out or the ritual will be complete and a new lich will be born and their current PCs may be lost.

I will be creating the rescue party PCs before hand so they are ready to go.

If you were a player, would you rather be assigned your PC intentionally by the DM, assigned one by random dice roll (create 6 PCs and assign each pc a number between 1 and 6, let each player roll a d6 and what they roll they play), or be allowed to choose what character to play.

Thoughts?

Griogre
October 12th, 2015, 05:10
I'd let them pick unless you really want the guy who hates mages playing a mage etc.

JohnD
October 12th, 2015, 05:19
Make more PCs than you have players and let them pick what they want from among the selection. Either that or someone's going to spend the night giving out candy... one for you two for me etc....

Zacchaeus
October 12th, 2015, 11:51
This is a difficult one because there is no right answer. If you give the players a choice and two of them want to play the same character you've got at least one unhappy one. If you assign them by dice roll then someone is going to get a character they don't like playing. I think the answer has to be to involve your players. Ask them what they want to play and prepare those characters, or if you know them well enough you'll know what to roll up for each of them; or take your cue from the characters/classes they are playing now and just make higher level examples of the same class.

epithet
October 12th, 2015, 16:49
Make the PCs plus a few extras, as JohnD suggests. Then have them roll initiative (assign mods to initiative based on bringing beer or food to the game night.) They can pick their characters in initiative order.

Nylanfs
October 12th, 2015, 17:19
I like that Epithet :)

The Rouse
October 14th, 2015, 02:13
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I love the initiative roll for first pick, thanks Epithet!

damned
October 14th, 2015, 05:02
One of the joys of playing in a one sht is playing something different - different system, different genre, different classes, different players!
Some players are not so good at letting go of their favourite class... but I think it is liberating for them to do so.
So... as Zacchaeus says - there is no right or wrong - but I think mixing it up is good.
Another way is to let them choose - FROM THE PORTRAITS ONLY!