PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Grounds Hosting Failure Connecting...

ArteF
October 11th, 2015, 22:38
Edit - Resolution for anyone who has this issue in the future:

I double checked my port forward address against the fantasy grounds external address, my players are using the server alias but the forward address had a last digit of 2 while fantasy grounds was looking for a similar address with the last digit being a 3. I changed the forwarding last digit to a 3 and it all worked out.

==========================================

Original post below:

Hi, I'm having issues hosting for a game tonight.

I got my firewall set up to let fantasy grounds through and for the last month it worked fine, I changed my routers config for forwarding 1802.

Today for some reason despite those settings being fine I am unable to run a game and I keep getting failure when I do the connection test.

I've checked the router and everything's how I left it and I have checked my firewall, turned it off to test it out and sure enough be it on or off its not working.

Any help with this?

Trenloe
October 11th, 2015, 22:39
Double check the local IP address of the computer where you'll GM with Fantasy Grounds and make sure this is the IP address you have set for port forwarding on the router.

JohnD
October 11th, 2015, 22:43
Your ip May have changed.

ArteF
October 12th, 2015, 00:05
my router changed its IP, figured out what the problem was, thanks.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2015, 00:09
my router changed its IP, figured out what the problem was, thanks.
Assuming you were giving the router IP address to the players to connect? If so, I'd recommend using the FG alias feature - this is what it's there for, to allow the same alias to be used for your ongoing games, but the external (router) IP address will be updated in the alias when it changes.

ArteF
October 12th, 2015, 14:32
We were using the alias, the routers last digit changed to a 2 I think but fantasy grounds was looking for a 3. I don't know what cause the change but I got it resolved in time for the game. So it all worked out!

Also I mean the port forward last address not the router itself.

Trenloe
October 12th, 2015, 15:20
Also I mean the port forward last address not the router itself.
Ah, that makes more sense as the FG alias doesn't use the port forward address.

If you always use the same computer for GMing then I'd recommend making the IP address of that computer a static IP address. Then you won't need to change the port forwarding in future.

arkanis
October 13th, 2015, 09:29
Same problem here since last week. I've been hosting games flawlessly until now, but now my players cannot longer connect via FG alias.

1. My local ip address is set to static

2. Setting up port forwarding

3. What FG sees

4. What my router really sees:

FG doesn't seem to correctly resolve my address for some reason and since FG alias doesn't work for me any longer I have to tell my players the router wan IP in order to host games for them.

kylania
October 13th, 2015, 11:01
You can always visit https://myip.is to see what the world sees your IP address as.

ArteF
October 13th, 2015, 11:52
The steps I follow is to first turn the fire wall off an restart my pc then run a test. If it works then go to the firewall, turn it on and set fantasy ground to have free access. You could also add the port on the firewall for forwarding also which is what I did.

If it's still not working then idk.

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2015, 21:22
Now I'm not an expert by any means but it seems that you are on a wireless connection? If so you'll have to set up port forwarding in your router as well as your firewall and probably also in your AV software rules. From the screen shots the first two are setting up port forwarding only for the bit between your computer and the router. But I could be completely wrong.

arkanis
October 13th, 2015, 21:41
Now I'm not an expert by any means but it seems that you are on a wireless connection? If so you'll have to set up port forwarding in your router as well as your firewall and probably also in your AV software rules. From the screen shots the first two are setting up port forwarding only for the bit between your computer and the router. But I could be completely wrong.

I don't have a software firewall other tan Windows FW and it's setup to allow Fantasy grounds through it. The other part of the connection, the router-wan part is a bit more nebulous to me. I have an ONT fiber bridge sitting in front of the router, and have the router configured with 2 VLANs in the WAN port because I also have a DTV receptor for cable TV (provided by the same ISP).
So basically my config is wifi---Router---ONT<-->World
The thing is that I haven't touched a single config parameter neither in the router nor in the computer and I've been hosting games using FG alias until some point last week, and I find that strange. It's not a huge problem because we've come with an alternative solution, it's just a heads up ;)

P.S. Sorry for my bad english

Zacchaeus
October 13th, 2015, 21:53
Firstly your English is better than mine and it's supposed to be my native language. :)

As I said I'm not an expert and you've completely lost me with all that stuff you have. What I do know though is that I, too, am on a wireless connection and so in order to get to the outside world I had to set up rules for my Firewall (through my AV software) and I also had to set up port forwarding in my router. I also set up my router to allocate the same internal IP address for my gaming computer and to send data from FG to that Internal IP. What I found was that whenever my router was reset for any reason my internal IP also changed and I had to keep going into the router to change where it was sending FG data too. Until the inestimable Trenloe pointed out that I could force the router to always give this machine the same internal IP.

Hopefully this makes some kind of sense, and apologies for my poor English :)

damned
October 14th, 2015, 05:09
arkanis - send me a PM if you are still stuck.