PDA

View Full Version : LFP - Poison of the Soul - Pathfinder Homebrew - 4 Players - Weekly Sunday 6pm-10pm

McFluffles
October 10th, 2015, 06:00
Hello there everyone! My name is Mcfluffles, a veteran DM of 15 years. Not really sure if that makes me a veteran but whatever. I'd like to think I'm fairly good at what I do. I am here on my first ever endeavor of actually using FG. I have done quite a bit of research on the program and by the beard of Zeus is this thing powerful! I could not have hopped to find a better program to play over the internet with! A little about myself before getting into the game itself, because if you don't mesh well with me to begin with, it wont be much of a fun game anyways!

I have been playing tabletop RPG's since my first game when I was 11 years old run by my father. He introduced me and I have been absolutely hooked ever since. That was... 17 years ago. At the time I learned AD&D and just grew with the game as it did. Now days, I play/run Pathfinder. It just jives the best for me. My DM style is dynamic. I am very open about what you are allowed to do in the game, and tend to run very sandboxy type games in which the players can collectively come up with what they want to do, and can occasionally split but I'm not fond of it. One of my signatures as a DM is that I run a game where your characters have a very really impact on the world around them. What they do matters. The choices they do or do not make, make a difference in what happens around them. You may have had a chance to save a slave from a traveling band of drivers, and later when he escapes, he may decide he wishes to hunt you down. Or instead of going to x location you go to y location and you come later to find out that x location was attacked by a dragon. You will be presented with options and sometimes you will dodge bullets and sometimes you will miss great opportunity. Eventually your characters will make names for themselves and stories of their travels with reach far and wide. If I have time to run multiple games, you may hear of things other groups have done in different parts of the world, and perhaps even meet.

I like to give the power to the players as much as possible, that does not mean I relinquish it whenever you want it. As far as rules lawyering, I do not like it at all. I'm a reasonable person, but to keep the game going my decisions will stand. If after a session ends you want to talk about a decision I made or point out something that I did wrong and can improve upon, please tell me. I am not adverse to criticism! I actually welcome it with open arms, how else do I grow as a DM?

A single "House rule" I use is this: If you are not actively making a skill check, I will be making them for you, usually using a "Passive" number which is 10+(Skill bonuses). This allows me to keep the game moving as well as prevent the situation of: "Roll (enter skill roll here)... okay." And then not saying anything because you didn't make a check, but then knowing as a player that I told you to roll something. It keeps the mystery alive!

One last final note, I am a Role player over a Roll player. I do not like min maxing. Yes being effective in combat is fun but that is not the focus of my games and it should not be the focus of the characters.

So now that is done and over with, lets get onto the stuff you came for!

FG License: Normal
Game System: Pathfinder

Time Zone: CDT/CST (US Central)
Day of week and time: Sunday @ 7PM CST (Starting time has been altered to 7pm from 6pm and will end at 11pm)
If new game, planned start date: 10/18/15
Planned Frequency: Weekly
Term: As long as I can hold your ADHD at bay. (Long term!)

Text or Voice: Voice
Voice software used: TS3

Roleplay & Combat mix: 50/50
Number of Players in game & needed: 4
Character starting level & equipment: 3
Character Creation Guide Lines
Races: Core Rulebook Only with APG Racial Variants allowed
Classes: Core Rulebook and APG, using the Unchained Barbarian, Rogue, Monk and Summoner.

Stats: 20 Point buy

HP: All characters start at max HP as per their HD and have the option of taking 3/4 max at each level they gain while playing or rolling and sticking with what they roll.
Starting Gold: Standard 3000G for 3rd level characters.
Starting equipment restriction: You may spend no more than 1/4 your total starting gold on a single item. So that means... no more that 750g on a single starting item. Players don't start with magic items in my games, they earn them. All starting equipment must also come from the Core Rulebook.

Multi-Classing: I do not penalize characters XP when they multi-class, I honestly don't know if that is even a rule in pathfinder that came over from 3.5, but if it is, ignore it.

Class Skills: Once a class skill, always a class skill so long as it was sufficiently used during the previous level (This is my judgment call). This only applies when going from one class to the next. Example: Rogue class skill of acrobatics, and you multi-class to barbarian (No idea why this would ever happen but you never know). So long as you sufficiently used acrobatics enough during the previous level as a rogue, it will carry over to your next level as a barbarian and continue to do so as long as it is continually used. If you stop using it sufficiently, just like any real skill anyone has, you will not have the ability to continue to progress in that skill.

I will continue to add to this as the questions come up. If you have a major problem with any of this, I am more than willing to discuss it with you!

Details of your scenario:

Varisia, the wild frontier of Golarion. Home of a fallen civilization with ruins scattering the land and a well known castle at its center. Viper Wall. For as long as anyone can remember, poison leaked into the air surrounding this castle from the mouth's of massive sneak heads statues. Thought to be the home of the Serpentfolk as an outpost of their home in the Darklands, this mist has vanished and the people living off Ember Lake have begun to become deathly Ill. No one has been able to find a cure, and Varisia needs help, hopefully someone will stand up and take up the mantle.

Link to Gamecalendar page: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1649

https://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll5/incubusdreamsguild/Flyer.png

Vhok
October 10th, 2015, 08:08
spoke too soon!

Validname
October 10th, 2015, 15:15
would you mind if I joined? I'm a new player but I understand the basics and can make a character using PCGen.

Naughtydread
October 10th, 2015, 21:24
Looks interesting.

illithid123
October 11th, 2015, 04:31
i would really be interested in playing but i don't get off work until 6 on Sundays and it is about a twenty minute drive home. maybe if the time could get nudged back by a bit i could join but otherwise i understand and i hope the campaign goes well.

Genghis Tebo
October 11th, 2015, 22:09
Does everyone see the main post, I do not see the main post by McFluffles
I only see the replys from everyone.

Validname
October 11th, 2015, 22:43
I think he might have removed it.

Trenloe
October 11th, 2015, 22:48
The OP edited it yesterday and, due to the links in the post and the OP's low post count, it needed moderation. It should be visible now.

damned
October 11th, 2015, 23:21
I *cant* see it still..

Trenloe
October 11th, 2015, 23:24
How about now?

damned
October 11th, 2015, 23:30
Yerp - all good - thanks Trenloe.
Vhok thats probably not the way to endear yourself to the GM...

Genghis Tebo
October 12th, 2015, 00:06
I only see the replys from everyone.
Ok I see it all now thank you

McFluffles
October 12th, 2015, 03:03
Howdy Everyone! Sorry for my lack of attention yesterday, I was at a wedding. I am usually most active at night any day of the week simply because I work mon-Fri 10am-7pm cst and I am a very busy person during the day on the weekends. I may end up having to push this back to 7pm simply because of my time restraints on Sundays, that is yet to be seen though. It is definitely still happening though, so no discouragement there! I am simply trying to avoid this game running too late for people who have to get up and work in the mornings on Mondays. You can usually find me in the FG con TS during the week after 9pm while I work on various projects and I am always more than willing to chat! I am really looking forward to this game, it has been way too long since I could actually play some tabletop!

Edit-

So a good question came up in a private message about character creation. I should probably include information about character creation which I will enter into the original post as well.

Character Creation Guide Lines:
Races: Core Rulebook Only
Classes: Core Rulebook Only

HP: All characters start at max HP as per their HD and have the option of taking 3/4 max at each level they gain while playing or rolling and sticking with what they roll.
Starting Gold: Standard 3000G for 3rd level characters.
Starting equipment restriction: You may spend no more than 1/4 your total starting gold on a single item. So that means... no more that 750g on a single starting item. Players don't start with magic items in my games, they earn them. All starting equipment must also come from the Core Rulebook.

Multi-Classing: I do not penalize characters XP when they multi-class, I honestly don't know if that is even a rule in pathfinder that came over from 3.5, but if it is, ignore it.

Class Skills: Once a class skill, always a class skill so long as it was sufficiently used during the previous level (This is my judgment call). This only applies when going from one class to the next. Example: Rogue class skill of acrobatics, and you multi-class to barbarian (No idea why this would ever happen but you never know). So long as you sufficiently used acrobatics enough during the previous level as a rogue, it will carry over to your next level as a barbarian and continue to do so as long as it is continually used. If you stop using it sufficiently, just like any real skill anyone has, you will not have the ability to continue to progress in that skill.

I will continue to add to this as the questions come up. If you have a major problem with any of this, I am more than willing to discuss it with you!

McFluffles
October 12th, 2015, 03:34
Again, ever time I edit the OP it vanishes. Sorry everyone. Just wanted to add the above information. Another single piece of information you will need that will need to be added to the OP...

Stat creation: 20 point point buy and you will get a 7th mystery stat during the game that everyone will roll to me privately. This stat will have a very real effect on the game and your character, but what that stat is and what it does you will never know.

Nickademus
October 12th, 2015, 14:45
Until you get enough posts on your account, any post that contains a link will vanish until moderated. It's a anti-spam feature.

Some questions; might as well ask here for the benefit of others.
1) You say Races: Core Rulebook Only. Are alternate racial traits from the Advanced Race Guide allowed for these Core races? Are racial favored class bonuses from the Advanced Player's Guide available for these Core races?
2) Classes: Core Rulebook Only. Are archetypes (from the Advanced Players Guide and future books) allowed for these Core classes? Are alternate class abilities, such as cleric subdomains and wizard focus schools, available for these Core classes?
3) Do characters get two traits upon creation? The trait system was added in the Advanced Players Guide and is considered optional, but is widely used by most Paizo content (including all Adventure Paths).

The basic question here is, are we restricted to just the idea of the classes and races in the Core Rulebook with access to any Paizo material that builds on them; or are we restricted to just the material in the Core Rulebook.

P.S. Multiclassing in PF is much better than in 3.5e, more in line with your house rules. And a rogue/barbarian can be great if built right. :P

McFluffles
October 12th, 2015, 14:56
All good questions! To answer them:

1.) All of the alternate racial traits from the advanced race guide are allowed for the core races as are all of the racial favored class bonuses.
2.) All of the archetypes in paizo printed material are allowed as are alternate class abilities from Paizo material.
3.) All traits from the Advanced Players Guide will be allowed and each character will start with 2 traits.

You hit the nail on the head there. Restricted to the idea of the calsses and races in the core Rulebook and have access to any Paizo printed material that builds on them. I do not use any non paizo material in any of my games, only the official printed stuff.

illithid123
October 13th, 2015, 00:12
if you are moving it to 7 from 6 p.m. then i am absolutely interested in playing. i have played dungeons and dragons starting iin 3rd edition and have played into the new fifth edition. i have never delved into pathfinder (my group did not want to transition) but i have always had a keen interest in playing within the system. i am also new to the fantasy grounds program, but i have messed around and seen tutorials enough to be pretty comfortable jumping in to play.

McFluffles
October 13th, 2015, 04:07
So after looking through all of the material at my fingertips, I am going to make a few changes to what will be allowed in the game. I have lifted restrictions so that all classes from the Core Rulebook and the APG are allowed, and will be using the Barbarian, Rogue, Monk and Summoner from the Pathinder Unchained book.

As far as multi-classing goes, we will be using the Fractional Base Bonuses as well as the rules I mentioned previously for multi-classing. Please check the OP for all of the updated information!