PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords Maps

kalnaren
October 10th, 2015, 00:30
Welcome to kalnaren's map thread

I'm changing this from the Rise of the Runelords Map thread to all my maps, since I'm now doing non-RotRL maps.

Rise of the Runelords Maps

I'm preparing to run a RotRL campaign (also my first campaign as DM.. lot of firsts), and made a couple of maps for the "missing" ones that can't be found around the net. Feel free to use as you see fit:

Desecrated Vault

Ruins of Wrath

These maps were created for the Chopper's Isle quest (https://www.dorkistan.com/dorkistan/Files/Chopper's%20Isle%20-%20PFRPG%20-%20dorkistan(dot)com.pdf). Not an "official" part of RotRL, but might as well be. It originally appeared in Wayfinder Vol 7, available from Paizo's website. I highly recommend that volume for anyone starting a RotRL campaign. It also includes a few Swallowtail Festival activities :).

I'll drop in some more as I create them.

2015-10-14: Added Foxglove Townhouse.

2015-10-16: Updated Ruins and Townhouse Maps.

2016-02-21: "Ogre Demolition Crew" map added by Chorpa.

2016-07-10: Uploaded updated version of Foxglove Townhouse.

Other Maps

2015-10-17: Added Falkwood Garrison

2015-01-01: Added Skellige House

2016-03-13: Added Raider's Warren

Thegroo
October 10th, 2015, 01:29
Thank you for sharing

kylania
October 10th, 2015, 01:30
Those look great! Wonderful job.

damned
October 10th, 2015, 02:35
Welcome kalnaren and well done. Nice maps - thanks for sharing.

Hastur
October 10th, 2015, 10:10
Hi Kalnaren,

thanks for the maps. They are for a side-quest, not something in the book, I suppose. I am running Rise at the moment (we are at the Rannick Fort). It is great fun and a good start for a new FG group.
Don't miss this module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7864&d=1415139611)(All the NSC and Encounters). It is pure gold.

Greetings
Hastur

kalnaren
October 10th, 2015, 18:16
Hi Kalnaren,

thanks for the maps. They are for a side-quest, not something in the book, I suppose. I am running Rise at the moment (we are at the Rannick Fort). It is great fun and a good start for a new FG group.
Don't miss this module (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7864&d=1415139611)(All the NSC and Encounters). It is pure gold.

Greetings
Hastur

No problem.

The Ruins of Wrath are for the 'Chopper's Isle' side-quest, which isn't part of RotRL but fits in perfectly (it's designed for Lvl 3 chars and gives the players the option of buying the Isle, giving them a reason to be invested in Sandpoint before finishing the first chapter).

The vault is for the skeleton encounter the day after the swallowtail festival.

Callum
October 10th, 2015, 18:37
These are great, kalnaren - thanks for sharing them. I wish I'd had these when I ran this bit of RotR!

kalnaren
October 14th, 2015, 21:11
Foxglove Townhouse

Main Floor

Second Floor

Third Floor

I may re-do these ones as a "Generic Townhouse". I think the layout could be a lot better.

damned
October 15th, 2015, 00:12
Oh - very nice indeed!

Callum
October 15th, 2015, 14:08
Thanks, again, kalnaren! I've downloaded all of these and am looking forward to using them.

I have a small request - would it be easy for you to make available versions of the maps without the big arrows showing the stair directions? Also, I've noticed that the Ruins of Wrath maps have an odd double grid line running horizontally across the middles or each map.

kalnaren
October 15th, 2015, 16:14
Thanks, again, kalnaren! I've downloaded all of these and am looking forward to using them.

I have a small request - would it be easy for you to make available versions of the maps without the big arrows showing the stair directions?

Glad you can make use of them!

That won't be a problem. I was on the fence about whether or not to leave that in. I think I need to swap one of the walls on the stairs anyway so the architecture makes sense.

Also, I've noticed that the Ruins of Wrath maps have an odd double grid line running horizontally across the midcdles or each map.

I noticed that, and I'm not sure what's causing it. I think it might be related to the anti-aliasing method when I export the JPEG but I'm not sure (if I recall when I exported without AA it didn't do it, but the map looked like crap). I'll try some different export methods and see if I can get rid of it. If I can't I'll do an export of the map without the grid and just put a translucent "scale square" in the top corner or something to size the grid for Fantasy Grounds.

kalnaren
October 17th, 2015, 00:54
Updated Ruins of Wrath maps for Chopper's Isle as well as Foxglove Townhouse.

Trenloe
October 17th, 2015, 01:04
It needed moderation as it had a link in it and you don't have enough posts on the site yet. I've approved the post.

kalnaren
October 17th, 2015, 01:06
It needed moderation as it had a link in it and you don't have enough posts on the site yet. I've approved the post.

Ah ok makes sense.

I'll edit the above post (#12) and remove the uploads/links and clean up the mess I made :P

Callum
October 17th, 2015, 10:37
Awesome! Thanks, kalnaren.

kalnaren
October 17th, 2015, 23:38
I started messing around drawing Droskar's Crucible to practice with the software, but I was quite pleased with the results so I decided to turn it into a full garrison instead.

Falkwood Garrison is a small keep nestled in the Falkwood, a moderately dense pine and oak forest sitting on the outskirts of Ballenmore. It was built to patrol the highways through and around the forest, which have seen an increase in bandit activity in the previous half-decade. The fort is in decline, damaged by the elements and awaiting abandonment. It still sees use during the construction of the newer garrison some distance away.

Falkwood Garrison Ground Floor

Falkwood Garrison Second Floor

Falkwood Garrison Third Floor

Falkwood Garrison Fourth Floor

Legend

Lower Floor Key:

1. The path approaching the garrison passes through thick, smooth stone walls. The walls are much newer than the rest of the structure, and were added some time after construction as the first part of an expansion to the keep’s fortifications. However the project was soon abandoned as the fort started to collapse, and no other reinforced structures were built.

2. The central courtyard was originally open but is now partially closed off by the newer walls. The well provides all the necessary water for the garrison.

3. The lower levels of the tower are used for dry goods storage. The tower itself is a full story taller than the rest of the fort, with the top sitting above the forest canopy.

4. The kitchen can't be described as anything else but "cramped", it is however large enough to serve the small number of personnel in the garrison.

5. These three rooms are used by the fort's servants.

6. Heavy rains eventually caused the soft ground to wash away, resulting in the collapse of that corner of the fort. The room is open to the elements and is no longer used. This incident halted the construction of the fort’s new battlements and ultimately led to the decision to abandon the fort completely, as the ground is not suitable for a heavier structure.

7. This large area serves as the garrison mess hall and gathering room for the remaining soldiers.

8. When built this larger room was the garrison’s library and record room. It has since been partitioned into two sections and now holds what’s left of the garrison’s supplies. The stairs lead to the upper level.

9. Quartermaster’s Office.

10. The fort's "jail" -originally foreseen to hold bandits and highwaymen caught by the garrison before their transport to Ballenmore- has been repurposed as livestock holding pens following the small barn burning to the ground two seasons prior.

11. This corridor was originally built to allow future expansion of the keep. No expansion ever happened, and the hallway has since crumbled. Sand-filled barrels now block off this exit.

Upper Floor Key

1. The upper stair landing holds weapon racks and shelves of other equipment. The garrison soldiers occasionally use this area to spar when the weather outside is unsuitable.

2. Garrison Commander's room.

3. Garrison Commander's office.

4. Barracks

5. After the wall collapse the integrity of the floor in this room became suspect. It is now used to store non-essential goods (like firewood) or junk.

Thegroo
October 18th, 2015, 01:48
Thank you very much

damned
October 18th, 2015, 02:11
Wonderful work - thank you!

kalnaren
November 1st, 2015, 17:06
House inspired by Skellige architecture from The Witcher.

If anyone knows where I could find a good firewood stack map symbol let me know. Most I've found have been of pretty poor quality and don't look good.

seycyrus
November 1st, 2015, 17:45
Nice house (and everything else!). Is the idea that the occupant is in the process of laying down the wood flooring?

Obligatory request for no-grid. I'm not sure what program you used to create these, and therefore don't know how difficult it would be to put out no-grid versions of these, but if it possible and relatively simple, would you please consider no-grid options?

Regarding the firewood symbols, where have you looked? Do any of these look useful?

Fenris4024
November 1st, 2015, 17:57
Excellent maps! I know some of these will definitely find some use in my DnD campaign. These were made via CC3 I assume? They look great!

kalnaren
November 1st, 2015, 19:10
Nice house (and everything else!). Is the idea that the occupant is in the process of laying down the wood flooring?

Obligatory request for no-grid. I'm not sure what program you used to create these, and therefore don't know how difficult it would be to put out no-grid versions of these, but if it possible and relatively simple, would you please consider no-grid options?

Regarding the firewood symbols, where have you looked? Do any of these look useful?

Thanks!

The idea of the flooring is planks laid down over the dirt/stone so the occupant doesn't have to stand on stone all the time. Kind of like how we'd put a throwrug over hardwood.

The effect works a lot better when I use symbols instead of textures, so I re-did the floor.

Map is provided without a grid. I didn't do a scale square because it's a fairly small map, but the fire/ccoking pit is 5' x 10' for scale.

Thanks for the log textures. Unfortunately I'm no graphics artist so I couldn't make the colours really match but a bit of GIMP'ing and I think it's "good enough" for now.

No Grid

Grid

Excellent maps! I know some of these will definitely find some use in my DnD campaign. These were made via CC3 I assume? They look great!

Thanks. Yup, made with DD3 using mainly Jon Robert's style with some symbols from the stock DD3, Symbol Set 2, and a few imported ones.

seycyrus
November 1st, 2015, 19:21
Thanks for the log textures. Unfortunately I'm no graphics artist so I couldn't make the colours really match but a bit of GIMP'ing and I think it's "good enough" for now...

I think I got them off of this zip file put together by a guy on Reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnD/comments/1zdxej/i_just_finished_sorting_out_a_2_gb_archive_of/

kalnaren
November 1st, 2015, 20:03
The second one inspired by Skellige. Quite a different layout in this one, a little more spartan.

No grid

Grid

Chorpa
February 21st, 2016, 18:31
Well if you don't mind I might add one of my maps to this collection. I was preparing our next session of Hook Mountain Massacre and noticed there was no appropriate battlemap for area "C6 Ogre Demolition Crew" of Skull's Crossing where they encounter a bunch of Ogres. I whipped up a map of that part of the Dam in CC3 and figured I could share it for anyone to use. It is a very simple map usable for any dam or large bridge area even if not playing Hook Mountain Massacre but the main intent was to improve that combat encounter. I scaled it 50 pixels per 5 feet.

13481No Grid

13482Grid

kalnaren
March 8th, 2016, 15:47
Thanks for the additional maps!

kalnaren
March 13th, 2016, 23:41
Three more maps.

Used the new CC3 symbol set by Mike Schley. Not sure how I like it. Had to change some of the lighting effects. I'm working on doing these maps in Jon Robert's style as well, in case you don't like this style.

The maps are for "The Battle of Emridy Meadows" that appeared in Dungeon Magazine #221.

These maps I actually exported to scale, 5' = 100px.

Farmhouse

Farmhouse upper floor

Raider's Warren

kalnaren
March 13th, 2016, 23:43
Nogrid versions.

As always any feedback is appreciated. Particularly I wouldn't mind your thoughts on this style. Haven't decided if I want to bother mapping in it or not.

I've always loved the art style in the D&D 3E maps but I've never been able to duplicate it. For FG I'm finding I almost like a more "realistic" style.

seycyrus
March 14th, 2016, 23:58
Thanks for the maps!

I there a reason why the one altar is not centered on its background image?

I tend to like the more realistic style as well, but what other style have you been considering?

kalnaren
March 15th, 2016, 00:45
I there a reason why the one altar is not centered on its background image?

Artistic choice on my behalf. No other reason.

I tend to like the more realistic style as well, but what other style have you been considering?

Well, this style specifically, which is a little more cartoony/hand-drawn. When I have the other version of these maps down (shortly, exporting them now) you'll see the difference.

kalnaren
March 15th, 2016, 02:18
Second versions of the Raider's Warren, done in Jon Robert's style.

kalnaren
March 15th, 2016, 02:22
NoGrid Versions

I think I should get back to actually doing RotRL maps again :)

Most of these have been side-projects for me to learn CC3.

kalnaren
July 10th, 2016, 16:14
Cleaned up Foxglove Townhouse. Various symbols were on the wrong layer, re-did the path out front, changed the stairs so they look more like stairs, and a few other minor changes.

Also exported them to a scale of 100px = 5'.

Foxglove Townhouse Main Floor

Foxglove Townhouse Second Floor

Foxglove Townhouse Third Floor

LordEntrails
July 10th, 2016, 21:09
Nice work, thanks for sharing!

johntjamesonjr
July 10th, 2016, 21:23
just a quick note, and im sure it is probably somewhere in the forums. is there a map program that can assist in making these maps without having too large of a learning curve? sorry if it sounds like if its been repeated in another thread.

kalnaren
July 10th, 2016, 21:43
just a quick note, and im sure it is probably somewhere in the forums. is there a map program that can assist in making these maps without having too large of a learning curve? sorry if it sounds like if its been repeated in another thread.

You might want to take a look here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25227-Create-Maps-Using-Tiled-Map-Editor-XnConvert

Depends on what quality you're going for. Some of the best maps I've seen were done with nothing but Photoshop; obviously the authors were very experienced with said program.

Mine are almost entirely done in Campaign Cartographer and its various add-ons. I'd say it has a moderate learning curve, but I'm a computer guy through and through so my opinion there may be slanted. It's much more like a CAD program than a graphics program (which is perfect for me), with the biggest learning curve in figuring out the layers, symbol sets, and sheet effects.

For example, here's Foxglove's townhouse without the sheet effects applied:

With the sheet effects it turns it into the image in the post above.

In this case I've blended symbols from 3 different libraries as well as custom ones, but I've also gradually been learning CC3 for a while. Even as a beginner you could probably knock out that map (design-wise) in an afternoon once you learned your way around the program. Learning the style sheets is a longer process that's basically experimentation to find the effects you're looking for.

I spent probably twice as long on the sheet effects for Falkwood Garrison on the previous page than I did on actually making the maps. Good news is you can save those settings and use them on different maps. The second and third floors of Foxglove's Townhouse are using those settings with a couple of basic tweaks. So a lot of that is experimentation. Like I said, depends on what quality you're going for. And there are adequate default style settings for CC3/DD3, if you're not looking to do more fancy things (EDIT: And I was just looking at the sheet effects for the ground floor, and they're default -I didn't modify those ones. So you could make a map that looks like that without doing anything but drawing walls, floors, and placing objects).

(I should also point out I'm in no way an expert on this program).

Dunjinni is an older one I've seen used to good effect, but I don't think it's supported any more, and doesn't have any style sheet stuff like CC3. Much easier to use drag-and-drop program though.

I think some other people have used Maptools (https://www.rptools.net/toolbox/maptool/) to create maps, though Maptools is designed to be used much like Fantasy Grounds.

One thing I find I dislike about some of the easier-to-use programs is they align everything perfectly to the grid. You'll notice in my maps very few objects are actually aligned or rotated perfectly. IMHO that goes a long way into creating a good looking map. Of course, manually placing and rotating objects can take a map from tens of minutes to multiple hours. Though I will also admit my experience with other programs is limited.

EDIT

This is a pretty decent basic tutorial on CC3, if you want a brief idea of how difficult the program is. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-X6TQ_71VI)

Out of all the ones I've tried over the years I think CC3 is probably the best. But your wallet is going to pay for it.

Thegroo
July 11th, 2016, 02:42
Thank you so much

kalnaren
July 19th, 2016, 20:42
In case anyone wants to run the 'Hollow's Last Hope' adventure, available free from Paizo's website, here's the proper Dwarven Monastery map for that adventure.

I may get around to doing the two dungeons from the followup, Crown of the Kobold King, at some point.

100px = 5'.

https://i.imgur.com/rrj65I0.jpg

caledoniaman
August 7th, 2016, 21:47
Does anyone happen to have the entire runelords adventure path as an FG module? I can provide proof of ownership.

kalnaren
November 27th, 2016, 14:36
I've been toying with these ones for a while, decided to upload them as they are.

This is the ground, second, and third floor of the Vanderboren Manor. I haven't done the cellar yet but will.

Sorry for the large size, these are hosted on Imgur because attachments on the forum don't seem to be working correctly.

https://i.imgur.com/zWgLEni.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6M3sqgo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/oAjVpms.jpg

Bidmaron
November 28th, 2016, 23:31
Very nicely done!