PDA

View Full Version : To the Fantasy Grounds Team:

whiteTiki
October 9th, 2015, 19:27
Hi there,

I've been using this VTT for quite some time now and I noticed that there are really no threads to congratulate the Fantasy Grounds Developer Team. Its obvious that 99% of the threads are complaints, questions, doubts, etc. I personally don't know any of the developers but I want to use this thread to congratulate all of you for the hard work done with the software. It's a really nice looking software, very useful and practical once you learn how to use it (which takes some time to master). You guys really keep up with the new-coming adventure books to bring the official content available for players. Fantasy Grounds has now made it to the official Dungeons and Dragons 5th edition web page, which means WotC is also aware of the great job done here and they're promoting, recommending and suggesting the use of Fantasy Grounds.

I've only played D&D 5th edition on FG and probably I'll only play that for some time. I can't imagine the huge work it must be to not only update the D&D content, but every other content available for FG that's not particularly a D&D product. I must say I'm really satisfied with the product (not that I admit that there's nothing else to improve with the system), I'm also really happy with my purchase and the way it plays.

On the other hand, I'm sure most of the topics I'll mention next are already on your improvement list or to-do lists because I've seen most of them in the forums and there have been a lot of threads about it. Anyways, I would like to suggest a list of important things I believe could improve the system:

Improve-Retouch-Redesign WebPage
Add the Dungeons Master's Guide to the available content for purchase (The adventures will keep coming and coming, it seems like there's not enough time to create the DMG)
Fix bugs and problems with the current 5th edition core
Add more features (not the general ones) to the core system. Support warlocks, sorcerers, etc the correct way (you guys know what I mean)
The drawing tool is incredibly buggy. It should support different colors, insert shapes, and different line weights
Add Dynamic Lighting to the software (I heard it's a big change to the system)
Add some easiest way to surf the web and look for tokens and some other stuff online while creating maps in-software
Add some easiest way to host games and let people find them (really take a look at what Roll20 did, you can filter by language, adventure name, and so many other features). Personally for this last thing on the list I must say I found it really hard to host a game here in the FG community for Hoard of the Dragon Queen in Spanish and get people to join. More than 1 month passed and I got only 2 ppl. I know the main language is English here, but really Roll20 is amazing with that, I ended up doing it through Roll20, paying 1 month of subscription to host my game in Spanish and made it public, It took just 1 week to have a full 6 ppl party ready to play. Of course I brought them to the FantasyGrounds system after explaining them the situation and everyone was cool with it, but I had to use Roll20 for recruitment.

Anyways, those are my comments that I think should be added or improved in the future, step by step. I know there are dozens of threads about each one of the topics in the list but I just wanted to mention them in general aspects. I would be really happy to see any of those things added in the future, it doesn't really matter which one goes first.

Thanks again for all the support, the community Is really great.

~whiteTiki

Zacchaeus
October 9th, 2015, 19:59
2. Will come eventually when it's ready.
3. This is ongoing, report anything you find here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23710-5E-Bug-Reports-and-Notices-of-Fixes-Rolled-Out)
4. See this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26330-Test-Release-v3-1-3)
5,6,7 Next year (maybe) when the port to Unity is complete.
8 Calendar has just been completely revised, which should help.

Moon Wizard
October 9th, 2015, 20:09
Thanks for the kind words, and taking the time to write your thoughts.

We're constantly working on improvements and often need to make trade offs on what makes it into the product.

In fact, Carl from Tabletop Connect just joined our team and we're looking forward to his help moving us to the next big revision of FG.

Regards,
JPG

whiteTiki
October 9th, 2015, 23:49
3. This is ongoing, report anything you find here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?23710-5E-Bug-Reports-and-Notices-of-Fixes-Rolled-Out)
4. See this thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26330-Test-Release-v3-1-3)
8 Calendar has just been completely revised, which should help.

2. Yeah I guess so, I'll wait. is not like I'm stuck or something and can't really play if the DMG is not out so its ok.
4. Interesting! Great changes coming!
5,6,7. Like George R.R. Martin says, "when I die, no one will remember how fast I wrote the books, but how good they actually are". So take you're time. I wouldn't like to see a "rush" release of that.
8. Yea... I checked that out before, I must admit it's much better than before, but it's still missing some Language options. I totally get it that most of the ppl speak English, but just adding a "language" option when you create the campaign and making a filter so you can search for it makes it REALLY better and I don't think its that hard. Same goes for filters related to the time in the day when its played and how much times per week.

Anyways, keep up the good work. Right now FG is excellent in my opinion and I think it's going to be even better in the future.

spite
October 10th, 2015, 01:59

Do we need to re-buy when this happens? Or are lifetime licenses still allgood at that point?

kylania
October 10th, 2015, 02:40
Chances are high that there will be an upgrade fee to the Unity version due to the cost and effort involved in the improvements, but I'm sure SmiteWorks will make it reasonable for existing license holders.

Valarian
October 10th, 2015, 08:23
Chances are high that there will be an upgrade fee to the Unity version due to the cost and effort involved in the improvements, but I'm sure SmiteWorks will make it reasonable for existing license holders.
and there has been comment about a cut-off period where people who bought recently won't pay an upgrade fee at all.

dthwing
October 10th, 2015, 08:44
I'm going to jump on the bandwagon here. Thank you so much to the Smiteworks team and all the folks who support them...on the message boards, bug reporting, writing extensions, proofreading WOTC modules and more. My group of 5 has been playing MMOGs for years as a substitute for playing D&D face-to-face (due to geography, time constraints, kids, etc) and we've just started a campaign with Fantasy Grounds. It's what we've been hoping for, for years. Just finished a night of 5E D&D campaigning (with drinks) and had a blast. Thanks again for all your hard work and dedication.

DMJBone
October 10th, 2015, 23:09
Actually, I'd like to chime in with my thanks as well. My group has been playing D&D on Fantasy Grounds since before the Smiteworks buyout - from 3rd through 5th - and it's been great. Really, really appreciate it.
I tell everyone who plays D&D to buy this program. And all this new 5th edition support really has been fantastic. I'm so glad WOTC finally got their heads out of their assess with regards to VT. Anyway, yeah - thanks.

Niles
October 11th, 2015, 03:41
Hi Moon Wizard,
I was wondering if you could add this idea to idea informer to be voted on. I didn't see how to add an idea. My idea is to add a 3D avatar creator that you can rotate 360 degrees to view your character. Also, perhaps an inventory tree to see what your character is outfitted with. Thank you if you can add that.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words, and taking the time to write your thoughts.

We're constantly working on improvements and often need to make trade offs on what makes it into the product.

In fact, Carl from Tabletop Connect just joined our team and we're looking forward to his help moving us to the next big revision of FG.

Regards,
JPG

Moon Wizard
October 11th, 2015, 04:25
The wish list is open for everyone to add to, and the link is in my sig. Just type what you want and if it's not found, hit button to add new idea.

Cheers,
JPG

gqwebb
October 20th, 2015, 04:34
The wish list is open for everyone to add to, and the link is in my sig. Just type what you want and if it's not found, hit button to add new idea.

Cheers,
JPG

my only wish is for the 5e dmg, other than that you and your team rock! love the application and the detailed modules you crank out. SmiteWorks and D&D are a great combination.

ffujita
October 20th, 2015, 19:28
As a FG 5E noob, I'm not qualified to say what needs to be fixed in what order, but I *am* qualified to say -- thanks! You've created a product that has enriched my life.