PDA

View Full Version : How does FG system handle D&D 5E....

DMHERETIC
October 9th, 2015, 16:20
Hey Everyone,
Semi new to FG and was wondering how the system handles spells like Mirror Image,Blink and similar spells? And druid shape change abilities? are there ways to create Effects to display this? Also how do you work things like Barbarian Rage, Fighers Combat maneuvers etc.?
Im loving FG so far but im perplexed and intimidated about the above issues. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Zacchaeus
October 9th, 2015, 16:35
As a start I would suggest a read of this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet) and you will find a number of examples of how to set up effects here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects). FG won't 'handle' spells like 'Blink' since they are essentially 'Theatre of the Mind' type affairs. A similar problem exists with Mirror Image. If you wanted to you could set up a power group with three uses to mark off the images as they get destroyed but that's all that I can think about for that one.

Also, when version 3.1.3 comes out FG will handle even more things

Nylanfs
October 9th, 2015, 17:14
Welcome to the Community DMHeretic (if nobody else has said that yet), for the most part you would treat those spells (and other items that automation can't handle) just like you would at the table, it's just that now your table is world wide (interplanetary if you can get an astronaut on the ISS to join a game).

DMHERETIC
October 9th, 2015, 17:30
Thank you both for your input. And thank you Paul for the Welcome!! I guess its good to know that a program cant replace "theater of the mind" yet!! :) im looking forward to the new update.

dr_venture
October 10th, 2015, 19:35
I have not played 5e nor used the FG ruleset, but if the newest incarnation of Mirror Image is like the older D&D versions (creates duplicates of the wizard which have limited HP and are controlled by him)... and if the 5e ruleset has the proper functionality for this, as the GM I would create an NPC called Mirror Image and assign the token of the wizard to it. When the spell is cast, just drag the appropriate number of NPCs to the Combat Tracker, then assign the NPCs to the player (I believe you can just drag the NPC's sheet to the player's portrait). Then you can keep track of them and what they're doing on the battlemat, and everyone else can keep track of them too. When a Mirror Image is 'killed' just delete it from the CT. It would get trickier if you want to hide from the other players which is the 'real' wizard and which are the fake ones, but it's still a pretty decent way to go.

Zacchaeus
October 10th, 2015, 19:54
It's actually even simpler in 5e dr_venture. When you get attacked you roll a d20 to see if one of the images is hit instead of you. Then if the attack would beat AC10 + Dex then the image is destroyed. So a simple count of the number of images still existing is all that's really required. Your suggestion would certainly be the way to go if it were any more complicated (like it was in previous iterations of D&D).