PDA

View Full Version : What's in a TYPE?

Zacchaeus
October 6th, 2015, 19:54
In the article on 5e effects in the wiki (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Effects) it suggests that the TYPE conditional operator will accept multiple creature types. Whilst that might be true (i.e. you can create something like IFT: TYPE(giant, dragon, beast): ADVATK) the effect won't actually work. It will give advantage on every attack no matter what the creature type is. So the question is in two parts a) Am I correct or am I doing it wrong (again) and b) is there any circumstance when multiple types would be testable?

(I should say, I am pretty sure MW confirmed this somewhere but I can't find the post; I think that it doesn't work because conditions are only tested with either logical AND or OR - I can't remember which)

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2015, 22:05
The current version of the code does not like commas within the TYPE() parentheses, just use spaces for now. I'm looking at upgrading the code to handle that case.

In the current version, the creature types should be working as if a logical AND existed between them. I'm actually flipping that logic so it would be a logical OR in the next version, which makes more sense for usage reasons.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
October 6th, 2015, 22:16
Ah, thank you Moon. It still doesn't work with just spaces since as you point out it is looking for a type which can't exist e.g. IFT:TYPE(dragon beast) will only return true if the target is a dragon AND a beast.

kuthulu
October 19th, 2015, 15:34
Thanks for this info. I was starting to think I was doing something wrong.

Zacchaeus
October 19th, 2015, 15:54
It is fixed in the test version (3.1.3) and it is very nice :)

whiteTiki
October 19th, 2015, 16:06
Interesting.

Question about test versions:
Are this versions stable?
If I'm DM, am I the only one that needs to download the version to host a session or my players also?

Zacchaeus
October 19th, 2015, 16:10
Interesting.

Question about test versions:
Are this versions stable?
If I'm DM, am I the only one that needs to download the version to host a session or my players also?

Test versions are not guaranteed to be stable; there will be errors which is why they are in test. If you use test then everyone needs to be on test otherwise you'll run into real problems.

whiteTiki
October 19th, 2015, 16:32
Ok thanks Zacch, I think I'll be waiting for the full release then.

I think in my short time here I haven't been in any update (as far as I know) so, does the game automatically updates when there's a ne stable version? Or do you have to click on "update" when you know there's a new version?

Zacchaeus
October 19th, 2015, 20:33
When you load FG the update button will glow red when there is an update. You just click on it an it will... well update :)

Nylanfs
October 19th, 2015, 22:55
Note that even in Live you need to get all your players to update also, and double check that your extensions are haven't been broken by the latest update.

whiteTiki
October 20th, 2015, 19:01
Zacchaeus:

I knew I had programmed it before but I found it just now!
I'm not in the Test version and maybe the bug you found was only present in the Test version, but anyways, someone in the party has a paladin and this paladin uses Divine Smite. Sometime ago I programed this effect for him and tested it and it works perfectly:
Divine Smite Undead; IFT: TYPE(undead, fiend); DMG: 1d8 radiant; [ACTION]; [SELF]

Hope it helps.

Zacchaeus
October 20th, 2015, 20:47
Ah, sadly whiteTiki, it isn't - as you can see from the screen shot below. Paladin Bob here is certainly dealing a world of hurt to the undead and the fiend but he is also doing it to the spider as well and it is certainly neither undead nor a fiend.

As Moon Wizard explains above there are two problems; the first is that FG doesn't like the comma separator, and it is using a logical AND to determine the target. What is happening therefore is that the IFT statement is either looking for a target that is both a fiend and undead or it is ignoring the whole statement because of the comma.

In the current Test version (3.1.3) Moon has corrected the comma problem and also switched the statement to a logical OR so that it will look for a target type that is either undead OR a fiend, and correctly deals damage to only those target types.

These two problems also extends to the ALIGN and SIZE conditional modifiers and have also been corrected in the test version.

whiteTiki
October 20th, 2015, 21:54
Hmmmmm.....

I thought I double checked that. Can I make it in 2 separate effects then?
Thanks for the info!

Zacchaeus
October 20th, 2015, 22:00
Yes, making it two separate effects is the only way to get that working until 3.1.3 hits the shelves :)

rob2e
February 14th, 2016, 04:49
This spell does not seem to parse correctly still.

It parses as such: Divine Smite; DMG: 1D8 radiant, melee

And with target self, and expend on next action... it doesn't work? Also no undead fiend verbiage.

Any ideas?

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2016, 10:49
This spell does not seem to parse correctly still.

It parses as such: Divine Smite; DMG: 1D8 radiant, melee

And with target self, and expend on next action... it doesn't work? Also no undead fiend verbiage.

Any ideas?

You can't have a damage type of melee. Melee is a modifier which you would apply to the attack not the damage. For Divine Smite the effect will be "Divine Smite; DMG: 1d8 radiant; IFT: TYPE(undead, fiend);DMG: 1d8, radiant". This will work just fine. I can't see btw that this par5es via drag/drop.

rob2e
February 14th, 2016, 15:27
Yeah it does not parse correctly. I had that effect broken into two separate effects. Glad to know it works as one.

rob2e
February 14th, 2016, 15:48
Zacchaeus, I put the effect in as (Divine Smite; DMG: 2d8 radiant, melee; IFT: TYPE (undead, fiend); DMG: 1d8 radiant, melee) and it works perfectly. If I do ranged damage, it ignores the effect, but if I do melee damage, it trigger's the effect. So it seems melee IS a damage modifier as well. :)

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2016, 17:51
Zacchaeus, I put the effect in as (Divine Smite; DMG: 2d8 radiant, melee; IFT: TYPE (undead, fiend); DMG: 1d8 radiant, melee) and it works perfectly. If I do ranged damage, it ignores the effect, but if I do melee damage, it trigger's the effect. So it seems melee IS a damage modifier as well. :)

You are right. Guess what I was doing? Yes, in my hurry I was using a thrown weapon stat line to test it out! So of course it didn't work. And I knew that was strange because I really knew that it should have worked but I was in too much of a hurry :)