PDA

View Full Version : Internal IP vs Actual Internal IP Address (Connection Failure)

highdefjeff
October 6th, 2015, 04:06
I just made a post about an issue I am having as a user with El Capitan.

Our DM, who is not running that version of OSX, had a separate issue.

When he hosted a game his INTERNAL address is an entirely different subnet than the one I have configured on my LAN.

I use a 10.X.X.X network.
I didn't think this would solve the issue but I forwarded port 1802 to his 10. address and the connection still failed.

I am just wondering my the FG IP address is wildly different than what I have configured on my LAN. In one case it was a 127. address now its a 198. address.

Trenloe
October 6th, 2015, 04:43
Sounds like that have multiple network cards on their computer - perhaps a VPN, or a virtual network card (for a virtual machine like VMWare, Oracle Virtual Box) and FG is picking up one of those network cards rather than the one connected to the LAN. FG will actually listen on port 1802 on all active network cards, so work out what the IP address is for the actual LAN connection and use that for the port forwarding.

dulux-oz
October 6th, 2015, 04:46
Hi High,

Do you have two Network cards in your PC, including a wired and wireless one. FG can pick up the incorrect interface and use that from the one you expect.

Also, if you're using a 10.x.x.x address, is it with a /8, /16 or /24 bit mask?

Also, are you and the GM's computers actually on the same network, or is there a router between the two of you

Finally, the 127.0.0.1 IP address is a special address which means "this computer".

Also finally, have you both allowed FG to pass through each PC's firewall?

And really finally, as a Player you don't need to know your IP address, only your GM's

Get back to me and we'll get you sorted

Cheers

highdefjeff
October 6th, 2015, 05:06
The DM left for the night...
He is running an older version of OSX. I installed FG on a Mac Mini, which is not running El Capitan, and did the following.

Disabled all NIC's besides my wifi interface. This is an internal IP of 10.0.36.7
I use an Airport Extreme, which admittedly is very limited when it comes to configuration.
So I enabled the wifi on my Time Warner provided modem/router. I tried the connection test on the MAC MINI. Failed.
I configured the TWC modem/router to forward ports 1802 UDP and TCP. Failed.
I put the MAC MINI with an IP of 10.0.36.7 inside of the DMZ. Success.

Now a few things..
1) I don't like having any computer in the DMZ.
2) I don't know why a simple port forward.
3) No matter what changes I made the Internal Address as per FG is a subnet that I don't have configured anywhere. That being 198.105.x.x

Looking further into that Internal Address that FG is generating..it's an actual Global IP:

Definitely not something I am using internally.

damned
October 6th, 2015, 05:16
turn off DMZ - port forward tcp 1802 to 10.0.36.7 and test
if fails reboot router and recheck settings and re test.

Are you the player or GM? if you are the Player you dont need a successful connection test - your GM does.

dulux-oz
October 6th, 2015, 05:28
Hi High,

Let's just step back a bit and start from basic principles (& please remember that I don't know how tech-savvy you are, so I'm going to assume not very to make sure we understand one another).

All the Player/client computers connect to the GM/host computer. If a Player is running the Demo License then the host must be running an Ultimate License and the Player/client will need to connect to the SW Servers (as will the host) to confirm that the host is actually running an Ultimate License - and then that connection is dropped.

You only need to Port Forward to the host's IP Address if Players are connecting from "outside" of the host's LAN.

If a Player is connecting from outside the hoist's LAN than they enter the host's External IP address (or use the four word Alias that the host sets up - but this also requires connection back to the SW Servers). If a Player is connecting from the LAN then they use the host's Internal IP Address. No Players nor the host need to know the Players IP Addresses (Internal or External).

So the only reason for a Player to determine their IP Address is to determine if they are on the same network as the host - and even that's not necessary because the Player simply tries the host's internal and external addresses (or the alias) until there is a connection.

So only the GM/host computer needs to run the connection test (which test connection to the SW Servers, nothing else).

So yes, you shouldn't have to have your computer in the DMZ, and in fact its better on the LAN (with the host) because there are less devices in the path between the two to cause problems.

I'm running FG as the host now on 139.218.173.13 - if you like, try to connect - because if you can connect to me then we've narrowed down the problem

Cheers

highdefjeff
October 6th, 2015, 13:48
I agree. No one is going to ever need to connect to use from outside so the port forwarding/connection test issue can be put aside.

Here is the simplest version that we hope to run.
2 MACs on the same LAN. Both MACs have Fantasy Ground licenses, neither of us have the Ultimate License. According to this we don't need the Ultimate license to host a game:

I just did the following.
On one of the MACs I launched Fantasy Grounds
Loaded Tales of Dinor 3-5e (This is the only campaign I have installed so far, on my DMs computer he has all the 5th edition modules)
On the right hand side, where it says Address Information my Internal Address, which I would assume is the same as the private LAN IP address of the MAC is a totally different network.
I have my router configured to give out 10.36.0.1-.50 addresses for anything that connects to it..whether it's wifi or the 3 ethernet ports on the router.
The address Fantasy Grounds is showing is 198.105.254.228 which, from what I can tell is a Public Address registered to some ISP in Colorado.

The question I should be asking is should the FG INTERNAL ADDRESS be the same address as my MAC LAN IP?

By the way..a big thanks to everyone replying and trying to help!!

-EDIT-
I just moved the MAC that is trying to host the game to a different router. I have that router set to give out 192.168 addresses.
The FG INTERNAL ADDRESS is still this 198.105 address. I would love to know where that address is coming from.

dulux-oz
October 6th, 2015, 14:19
Hi High,

First off, as a side issue, you definitely want your WLAN and your LAN on different IP Address ranges - this has nothing to do with FG, just the way a proper series of WLANs and LANs should be set up (& if you're wondering how I know that, let's just say its a professional consideration :) ).

The 198.105.x.x address is a "ad site" in colorado - for some reason whoever is supplying your dns entries is giving you this ip address "to be helpful" when it can't find a real domain name. Why its showing up in FG is a mystery.

OK, here's what I would do (to troubleshoot) - manual set the wifi interface on the pc manual to 10.36.0.40 (that should miss most ip conflicts) and then fire up FG and see what it reports your Internal IP address is. If it's 10.36.0.40 then that means there is something wrong with the dhcp assignmnet (the ip address being handed out by the router AND ACCEPTED BY TH EPC. If it still shows the 192.105.x.x address it means the FG is picking up the address from another interface, not the wifi, such as a second interface, a virtual interface or something else.

Let us know how you go and we'll go from there

Cheers

Trenloe
October 6th, 2015, 15:31
Background: FG doesn't do anything to your computer network setup - i.e. It doesn't make any changes to your computers network/IP address. All it does is read the IP address of the first/main network card from your computer. So, the 198... IP address is being reported by the computer.

As mentioned above (post #2) Fantasy Grounds will allow connections on all IP addresses on the computer. Find out what the LAN IP address is and try to connect using this IP address from the other computer. Ignore the 198... address reported by FG, this is mostly for information only in your setup and doesn't impact being able to connect to FG on your LAN.

damned
October 6th, 2015, 23:36
Background: FG doesn't do anything to your computer network setup - i.e. It doesn't make any changes to your computers network/IP address. All it does is read the IP address of the first/main network card from your computer. So, the 198... IP address is being reported by the computer.

As mentioned above (post #2) Fantasy Grounds will allow connections on all IP addresses on the computer. Find out what the LAN IP address is and try to connect using this IP address from the other computer. Ignore the 198... address reported by FG, this is mostly for information only in your setup and doesn't impact being able to connect to FG on your LAN.

I think the WineSkin wrapper is creating the virtual interface with this address?

dulux-oz
October 7th, 2015, 01:19
I think the WineSkin wrapper is creating the virtual interface with this address?

Yeah, that was my thought too, but 198.x.x.x is not a typical IP address for a virtual interface to use (ie it's a public IP, and VIs normally go for a Private IP (ie 10.x.x.x/8, 172.16.x.x/12 or 192.168.x.x/16)) :confused:

highdefjeff
October 7th, 2015, 03:09
So I spent about 3 hours digging around the back of the entertainment center/connecting ethernet cables/configuring the MAC MINI with static addresses/isolating it from the internet/looking at friggin sniffer captures to see where this stupid 198.105 address was coming from WHILE I was trying to get FG to install correctly on my Macbook that is running El Capitan.

Somewhere in that time I scrolled and saw Trenloe's post suggesting..hey! forget that 198 address..just connect to the actual address of the device that is hosting the sessions.
So I did that..got a License conflict between my two machines and KNEW that was it. My DM came over with his laptop..hosted a session and I joined using his 10 address.

Works.

The simplest solution. Unbelievable.
Thanks to everyone who helped. I wish I hadn't spent so much time hung up on that Internal Address and ways to correct it.
Monday, the adventure begins!!

Trenloe
October 7th, 2015, 03:23
Cool! Glad you got it working. :)