PDA

View Full Version : Not Working on OSX (El Capitan)

highdefjeff
October 6th, 2015, 03:57
BackgroundL I purchased Fantasy Grounds last week because we are about to start a campaign. Our DM has used FG in the past, as a player, and praised how great it is for managing modules, etc.

FG ran fine for me upon install and now it doesn't. I get this error message:

The only that that has changed between now and last week is I updated my Macbook to OSX El Capitan.
Help me get this to run..we couldn't start our campaign tonight!!

Moon Wizard
October 6th, 2015, 04:23
It looks like a general issue with Wineskin wrappers for any game on El Capitan.

https://m.reddit.com/r/OSXElCapitan/comments/3d64sd/wineskin/

From that thread, a couple other users have had to "disable rootless" for X11 by booting into Recovery Mode and entering the following command into Terminal: "csrutil disable"

I've sent a note to a Mac guy and a UNIX guy I know to see if it's something we can configure in Wineskin wrapper.

Regards,
JPG

highdefjeff
October 6th, 2015, 04:29
It looks like a general issue with Wineskin wrappers for any game on El Capitan.

https://m.reddit.com/r/OSXElCapitan/comments/3d64sd/wineskin/

From that thread, a couple other users have had to "disable rootless" for X11 by booting into Recovery Mode and entering the following command into Terminal: "csrutil disable"

I've sent a note to a Mac guy and a UNIX guy I know to see if it's something we can configure in Wineskin wrapper.

Regards,
JPG

Thanks for the reply.
Booting into recovery mode and making config changes will be my last option. I don't want to muck around too much with these settings.
Hopefully by next Monday a fix is available from FG.

damned
October 6th, 2015, 06:00
Moon_Wizard - there is a new Wineskin version to resolve this - https://wineskin.urgesoftware.com/tiki-view_blog_post.php?postId=82 - you will prolly have to repackage up the Steam Installer...

highdefjeff
October 6th, 2015, 13:15
I deleted the local game content that I downloaded via Steam.
Hopefully this new version of Wineskin (2.6.1) gets injected into the Steam Installer soon.

Nylanfs
October 6th, 2015, 18:12
You can install using the Winr guide at the top of the forum I believe. Then just use the key from Steam.

highdefjeff
October 7th, 2015, 03:12
I got it to work.
I have no idea how as I was trying to resolve an IP conflict at the same time (see my other thread).
I sort of followed the stickied thread above which details how to install Wineskin.

Its up and running and tested. I really hope the Steam version gets fixed. I like having a tidy all in one version that I can click on.
Thanks for the help!!

damned
October 7th, 2015, 04:10
Heres hoping for some smooth sailing going forward!

jajen2003
October 7th, 2015, 12:29
All the more reason that Apple is losing credibility for their constantly updating OSXs and more reason to push the Unity build of FG.

I have a friend plagued by this very same issue. Hooray, still running 10.9

Cerevant
October 16th, 2015, 13:52
All the more reason that Apple is losing credibility for their constantly updating OSXs

Because a game running on top of a hack (wine) running on top of a hack (X on Mac) stopped working?

and more reason to push the Unity build of FG.

Can't disagree with you there...

Anyway, some updated news: I did a fresh install using the latest wineskin 2.6.1 on El Capitan and it is working fine, played for 3 hours last night without a hitch. Even saved the campaign (unlike when running in Parallels for some reason).

Another tidbit - I don't know if this is new to Wineskin, but - when you run Wineskin.app in the bundle and "Set Screen Options" there is an option to "Use Mac Driver instead of X11". I selected this, and it doesn't appear to be using X at all. Seems to boot up faster as well. Now I just wish that FG had floating windows so that it was easier to use multiple monitors :)

Ken L
October 17th, 2015, 14:01
I use my macbook air as a coaster for my Tux Plushie.

bjboyd3
October 29th, 2015, 04:37
I'm having the same problem after upgrading to El Capitan this morning.

I am running Fantasy Grounds for through Steam. Is anyone using steam having the same problem, and have any solutions been presented?

damned
October 29th, 2015, 08:03
The Steam version is NOT compatible with El Capitan unless you "disable rootless".
Use this thread to install manually - the latest wineskin will work without disabling rootless....
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended)
Backup your campaign data just in case...

ddavison
October 29th, 2015, 15:17
We are all looking forward to the native build on Unity to help resolve these issue in the long term.

To reiterate, the linked post on Steam has a temporary work-around that has been confirmed to work. In addition, we will be working with Zeus to resolve this issue in the current build. He has a few other items on his plate that he is working through before he can tackle this, but we will try to get it updated as soon as we can. He did an update of his machine to El Capitan about a week ago to try to fix this, but it also broke some other software he relies upon and he had to roll back. I believe it was the development environment for Java NetBeans that also got broke.

bjboyd3
October 30th, 2015, 01:30
Way to go Apple...

bjboyd3
October 30th, 2015, 04:24
The Steam version is NOT compatible with El Capitan unless you "disable rootless".
Use this thread to install manually - the latest wineskin will work without disabling rootless....
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17399-Guide-How-to-install-FGII-on-OS-X-using-WineSkin-(Recommended)
Backup your campaign data just in case...

This worked. THANKS!

Goltron
November 15th, 2015, 23:53
I'm hoping this will work for me as I dicked around for a while yesterday trying to figure out why fg(steam install) would no longer work after the el stupido osx update.

ddavison
November 17th, 2015, 20:50
It should now be fixed on Steam. Try the notes here:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/496881136923892396/

Goltron
November 18th, 2015, 06:57
No luck there, I followed the prompts from the notes on the steam forum and got as far as relaunching the game through steam, it downloaded files the first time but when I go to launch it nothing happens.
Also the build ID on the newly downloaded version that I now have is: 861871 not the 861694 that the notes suggest it now should be.

ddavison
November 18th, 2015, 13:46
Assuming you have your backup made and saved off somewhere, I would recommend activating your license on Steam. The build ID you have indicates that you are registered as having the Demo on Steam and not the full version. Ultimately, either one should work though.

Here are the instructions for activating your license:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/252690/discussions/2/558755530621472814/

Goltron
November 21st, 2015, 20:24
Apparently my license key is invalid,yet i'm payed up in full. I'm over it, too difficult just to turn a game on. Sucks as i've invested alot into modules on this program.

ddavison
November 22nd, 2015, 00:18
If you email me your license key to [email protected], I can check to see if that is indeed the problem and why it might be inactive.