PDA

View Full Version : How to get multiple player sessions on Local with Ultimate or Full edition?

mm44
October 4th, 2015, 20:50
hi,
Just learning to use/play the FG product, and wanted to start a sample campaign as 'GM' with my full license copy and a couple of 'players' sessions all on the same PC as local(for practice by myself). Do I need to buy the Ultimate to try this? Also, can you just start up multiple free license sessions on the same PC? Mostly wanted to try this out before recommending it to friends to get the full or free, and get familiar with GM mode with maps/encounters.. a game, from the looks of it, it is a lot to learn to get the most out of it.

thanks.

kylania
October 4th, 2015, 21:06
You can have a GM client and a Player client open on the same PC with any license. You shouldn't have more than that on a single computer though or you could start corrupting files. Now, your player client could open up multiple characters.

If you as the GM have Ultimate, your players can all have Free if they want.

Also, what's the deal with all these people sharing PCs lately? And welcome to the forums and FG!

mm44
October 4th, 2015, 21:15
I have the steam installed full version, it only allows one instance of the game, do I need to install the free demo version to get another instance to run? Not sure what you mean by player client other than another install?

Thanks for the help.

kylania
October 4th, 2015, 21:19
So you'd start the game via Steam per normal, then run your second client directly from the Fantasy Grounds EXE file. So you'd have Fantasy Grounds running twice on your computer.

mm44
October 4th, 2015, 21:35
ok, that works. thanks for your help. It somehow found the test campaign I created on my pc without any problem. do you know if you need to put local host anywhere or is that default?

thanks.

mm44
October 4th, 2015, 21:37
also, just wondering, what is free and lite? is it the same thing? where can you get lite? I only see the demo or free on steam.

kylania
October 4th, 2015, 21:45
Lite is an old name for it, now we have Free, Full ($40 or $4/monthly) or Ultimate ($150 or $10/monthly). Only difference between Full and Ultimate is that Free licenses can connect to an Ultimate.

And yes, to connect to yourself on your second client you start choose Join and put in localhost as the address.

Trenloe
October 4th, 2015, 23:00
also, just wondering, what is free and lite? is it the same thing? where can you get lite? I only see the demo or free on steam.
Lite isn't the same as demo/free. Lite is another license type that is still valid but you can't buy it any more. It allows a player to connect to a full license, but they can't run a game.

damned
October 5th, 2015, 04:28
Welcome mm44.

On your second instance you choose Join Game and then you enter a different Username - eg Players and for the Host Address you use localhost spelt exactly as I have done.
This instance will connect as a player instance and will interact exactly as player would. It is a good tool for new GMs to get an understanding of what the players can see/do. If you have a second screen you can drag this onto it works particularly well.

Its not practical to run real players from this localhost instance as you would have to keep passing them the keyboard/mouse etc.

To connect a player instance to your game from another computer you will either need an Ultimate License as the GM or the player instance will need a Full license.

Come and join us at FG Con and try some games out as a player yourself! Free to play - demo/free licenses accepted. Invite your players too!