PDA

View Full Version : 5e Wiki update project

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2015, 20:26
Some updates to the wiki.

Changelog:
7/10/15 Finished the character sheet, corrected some errors, added item creation to the 'Inventory tab' section and expanded the 'Actions tab' section considerably.
24/10/15 Updated the Combat Tracker section - feedback welcome.
24/10/15 Updated the NPC sheet section
24/10/15 Items article now created
25/10/15 Options article has now been created.
26/10/15 Party Sheet Article created.
7/12/15 Updated the Items article to include information on the DMG Item Forge. Updated other areas to include changes incorporated into v 3.1.3 and 3.1.4

kylania
October 3rd, 2015, 20:56
At the top should be something about how to enable the 5E Theme - Wizards or at least mention that you're using it because people's screens will look different by default and when you say "red button" they'll be looking at a "brown shield".

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2015, 21:23
Thanks to Zacchaeus for volunteering to take this on. It's always been a challenge for me to work on adding new features, working on next big version and documenting everything. It's only with the help of the community like this that we are able to keep improving the product.

* I like everything on one page myself, since it will make it easier to find something PC sheet specific with a simple page search.
* I personally prefer the screenshots to be small by default, so there is not so much scrolling when referencing the page. (See the other screenshots that display smaller until clicked on)

Other than that, it's looking good to me.

Cheers,
JPG

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2015, 21:36
At the top should be something about how to enable the 5E Theme - Wizards or at least mention that you're using it because people's screens will look different by default and when you say "red button" they'll be looking at a "brown shield".

Good point. I'll include an entry covering this.

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2015, 21:40
Thanks to Zacchaeus for volunteering to take this on. It's always been a challenge for me to work on adding new features, working on next big version and documenting everything. It's only with the help of the community like this that we are able to keep improving the product.

* I like everything on one page myself, since it will make it easier to find something PC sheet specific with a simple page search.
* I personally prefer the screenshots to be small by default, so there is not so much scrolling when referencing the page. (See the other screenshots that display smaller until clicked on)

Other than that, it's looking good to me.

Cheers,
JPG

Yep, one page works best. I'm still thinking of how to do effects for things like Character and class traits and features. I'll see how big that gets before I decide whether to add it on or make it part of a using effects article.
I deliberately made one piccy big since I was referring to numbered items so that the text was visible at the same time as the piccy, otherwise the piccy links to another page. There's probably a way I could make it smaller :)

damned
October 4th, 2015, 01:05
Awesome work Zacchaeus - well done.
For those that are interested in this Zacchaeus has also written a short piece on Basic 5e Effects for the FG Con Newsletter.

Thegroo
October 4th, 2015, 01:34
Great work.
Thank you for your efforts.

Apolala
October 4th, 2015, 22:34
Good job.
From what I can see from the other wiki pages the modifiers and effects (page for the custom effects window) could need a wee bit of love.

healdhj
October 5th, 2015, 14:04
Very good walk through!!! I'd love to see more done this way, especially a simulated combat with various power/attack/effects types.

I love the tutorial videos, but written step by step is great to have in addition.

Good job!

Zacchaeus
October 24th, 2015, 14:08
I've now updated the Combat Tracker and NPC sheet sections and added some more parts to the character sheet.

healdhj
October 24th, 2015, 18:59
This is great! Thanks for the efforts.

I'm actually converting my ongoing table top campaign to table top with FG next weekend. We've been anxiously preparing for some time. I have the ultimate license, PHB, MM, and Lost Mines plus a few extensions and token uploads (which are AWESOME!). Now with these updates and binge watching a few tutorials I think I can lead our 8 PC group through character creation next weekend. Very few have experience and I, obviously, have only little myself.

I've taken the group through LMoP, into home brew where they are now level 11 and have just returned to Phandalin after a stint in the Astral Plane. It was the boss fight on the Astral Plane that convinced me I need to make the switch! 29 combatants with several effects, DOTs, and all kinds of other mayhem going on. It was not my best session as a DM as I was just overwhelmed. The next session was 4 NPCs and almost a TPK :)

I cannot wait to get the full power of FG going! Thanks again for the wiki updates and getting them done just in time. Any other use at the table advice from the pros (and yes, I'm reading some of those posts here in the forums too)?

Zacchaeus
October 24th, 2015, 19:48
Welcome Healdhj to the forums and the community. Experience will come with practice; don't worry if you make mistakes you can only learn from the experience.

A new Items article has now been created on the wiki.

There may be prizes for spotting any easter eggs. :)

healdhj
October 25th, 2015, 14:58
The haggis, and kilt were very nice touches!

Zacchaeus
October 25th, 2015, 15:34
Indeed, it's a test to see if anyone is paying attention :)

Options article has now been created.

Lobosolo
October 25th, 2015, 19:06
Zaccheaus,

I was going through your excellent walk-through to refresh my skills in the 5e ruleset and I noticed that you have the cleric using heavy armor. How did your cleric get that proficiency? Hill dwarf cleric acolyte should only be proficient with light & medium armor & shields, correct? I'm not nitpicking. It doesn't affect the walk-through, I just want to make sure I am not missing a step in the logic.

Great job! Thank you for all of your contributions to this community.

Lobosolo

UPDATE: Just found it! Bonus Prof from the Life Domain. DISREGARD. :)

Zacchaeus
October 25th, 2015, 19:20
Zaccheaus,

UPDATE: Just found it! Bonus Prof from the Life Domain. DISREGARD. :)

Just beat me to it :)

ffujita
October 26th, 2015, 19:46
I think there must be some way to *find* this document from the top -- but I can't find it. I start at the top, and choose 5e, and I find no way to get to the Character sheet wiki -- and now I'm guessing there's *lots* more Wiki that I can't find, cause it isn't linked from the top. Is this a feature, a bug, or me still being a noob?

ffujita
October 26th, 2015, 20:03
From Wiki:
> We can create an affect to handle these situations automatically.
Should be:
We can create an effect to handle these situations automatically.

Zacchaeus
October 26th, 2015, 20:42
I think there must be some way to *find* this document from the top -- but I can't find it. I start at the top, and choose 5e, and I find no way to get to the Character sheet wiki -- and now I'm guessing there's *lots* more Wiki that I can't find, cause it isn't linked from the top. Is this a feature, a bug, or me still being a noob?

From the Main wiki page click on 'User Guides' and then scroll down until you see 5E (D&D Next) to find all the 5E articles. The character sheet article is the first one listed

Zacchaeus
October 26th, 2015, 20:45
From Wiki:
> We can create an affect to handle these situations automatically.
Should be:
We can create an effect to handle these situations automatically.

Corrected - well spotted.

Zacchaeus
October 26th, 2015, 23:05
The Party Sheet Article has now been completed. Note this was written with 3.1.3 in mind so some of the things will not be available as yet. It didn't seem worth while writing it for the current version and then updating in a few weeks.

The character sheet article, I will update to take account of the new items in 3.1.3 in due course.

The only thing left for me to have a look at now is the effects article, and again certain changes in 3.1.3 will have an impact here.

As usual if you spot errors or think I have missed anything then please report it here, or send me a PM.

ffujita
October 26th, 2015, 23:24
> Players and DMs can do some nasic drawing on this grid using the draw tools in the top left hand corner of the grid.

Should be "basic" instead of "nasic"

Hey, I may still be a noob, but I can spot typos :)

Zacchaeus
October 27th, 2015, 11:44
> Players and DMs can do some nasic drawing on this grid using the draw tools in the top left hand corner of the grid.

Should be "basic" instead of "nasic"

Hey, I may still be a noob, but I can spot typos :)

Well spotted again - fixed.

rob2e
November 3rd, 2015, 14:38
Zacchaeus,

Going through the wiki, spotted the following:

Under 'Create an effect' in the 4th paragraph ... for the next minute (6 combat rounds) ... Should be 10 rounds.

Zacchaeus
November 3rd, 2015, 18:19
Zacchaeus,

Going through the wiki, spotted the following:

Under 'Create an effect' in the 4th paragraph ... for the next minute (6 combat rounds) ... Should be 10 rounds.

Well spotted. Fixed

Zacchaeus
December 7th, 2015, 19:07
A couple more updates.

poppy_thompson
December 8th, 2015, 11:31
You're doing Oghma's work! Bless you and your familiar.