PDA

View Full Version : Map Pins not Saving

cychow
October 3rd, 2015, 14:34
I tried to search for this problem but no go. For some reason, my map pins are not saving on my maps. Is there a trick to this? Or you just drag it to the map and it should save? I drag my pins over and then it works fine but when I close the campaign and then open it up again, all the pins are gone.

Chung

Mask_of_winter
October 3rd, 2015, 14:35
Did you hold down ctrl to make them visible or activated the shortcut layers through the radial menu?

cychow
October 3rd, 2015, 14:48
Yup. I did that. Both. They just disappear after reloading.

Chung

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2015, 14:55
To confirm - after re-loading are you re-enabling the pins on the map? You need to do this each time you re-open the image/map.

If this still doesn't work:

What ruleset are you using?
Do you have any extensions enabled for the campaign?
Try doing this in a new CoreRPG campaign and seeing if that works OK.

cychow
October 3rd, 2015, 15:42
Ignore, this was not the solution.

cychow
October 3rd, 2015, 15:44
And just for reference to Trenloe:

1. D&D 5e
2. Yes, and I disabled them and it still wasn't sticking.
3. I did the same on a new campaign and same. it works with all map except maps named with a starting "Act 3 Ch."

cychow
October 3rd, 2015, 16:10
Nevermind, That was NOT the fix. Ug. I'm going to check the XML. I'm not sure what's going on. It works fine on other maps in the Act 1 and 2 Tabs but not the Act 3 tab.

Chung

cychow
October 3rd, 2015, 16:20
I think the problem is the pins I add to maps that are linked to stories on the 4th and 5th tabs, they won't save. It will save to any links in story entries in tabs 1, 2 and 3.

Would that have something to do with it?

Chung

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2015, 16:30
Look in the XML to see if it is even being saved.

Are these entries in modules or in the base campaign?

cychow
October 3rd, 2015, 16:40
It's being saved in the XML. The entries for <shortcuts><shortcut> is in there once the campaign is closed. When I open it back up and go to the map in tab 4 or 5, it's where it doesn't show up and the node gets erased.

This is in the base campaign. I haven't ported the campaign into the module yet because I'm still writing it and test playing it.

Chung

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2015, 20:47
Can you provide exact steps to reproduce please.

Moon Wizard
October 3rd, 2015, 21:27
As Trenloe mentioned, any information on how you performed these actions so I can recreate would be great. Once I can get a reproduceable scenario, it becomes very easy to fix any issues.

Also, a couple notes just in case they are relevant:
* The shortcut (i.e. link) layer is off by default for every image at the beginning of every session. This means that you can't add or view links on an image unless you hold the CTRL key or toggle the shortcuts layer on via the radial menu.
* If you drop a link onto an image when the shortcut/link layer is off, then no pin will be created.

Regards,
JPG

cychow
October 3rd, 2015, 23:08
I'll make a video. Easier for me that way. ;) I'll be back
Chung

Trenloe
October 3rd, 2015, 23:09
Please try and recreate this in a new, blank campaign (adding in the minimum number of entries to show the issue). This will eliminate many possible data questions/issues and make it easier to track down.

cychow
October 4th, 2015, 00:36
Ok, here's the video of the problem. I'll try doing it in a new campaign.

https://youtu.be/JEAmKGbWk3Y

Thanks,
Chung

damned
October 4th, 2015, 00:54
Wasnt there a similar issues posted last month - there is an upper limit on the number of pins that the campaign will remember/store.

Moon Wizard
October 4th, 2015, 02:21
I'm not sure about previous issue Damned mentioned. I reviewed the code quickly, but there are no built-in limits.

In this case, I think it might be best to get a copy of your campaign to recreate on my development machine. It looks like it will be easier to recreate with your campaign, than to build out in a new campaign. Can you zip up your entire campaign folder, put it up on DropBox or Google Drive, and send me a link at [email protected]? (Also, give me a link to this thread, so I make sure I have the right context.)

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Regards,
JPG

cychow
October 4th, 2015, 02:34
Ok Moon Wiz,

Zipped, drop boxed and invited.

Chung
Thanks

damned
October 4th, 2015, 02:55
I'm not sure about previous issue Damned mentioned. I reviewed the code quickly, but there are no built-in limits.

In this case, I think it might be best to get a copy of your campaign to recreate on my development machine. It looks like it will be easier to recreate with your campaign, than to build out in a new campaign. Can you zip up your entire campaign folder, put it up on DropBox or Google Drive, and send me a link at [email protected]? (Also, give me a link to this thread, so I make sure I have the right context.)

Thanks for helping me figure this out.

Regards,
JPG

I searched several times and could not find the thread but Im *positive* that this was happening to someone else not long ago....

Trenloe
October 4th, 2015, 03:04
I searched several times and could not find the thread but Im *positive* that this was happening to someone else not long ago....
Perhaps it was this you're thinking about: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25818-Missing-shortcuts-on-exported-module There was a thought that there might be shortcut limits while troubleshooting, but this was a complete red herring - it was just that the module containing the data wasn't being re-synched after being updated.

damned
October 4th, 2015, 03:11
:) yes thats the one - thanks - red herring then and now!

cychow
October 4th, 2015, 03:51
Ok, I gave it a try with creating a new campaign. I created a couple of story entries and linked a map and added pins. Closed the campaign and restarted it. It worked.

Then I created a new tab, created some story entries, linked a map to one and then moved some pins over. Closed Campaign and reopened it. The linked map on tab one shows up and the map linked in a story in tab two don't show up.

This is a new campaign using the CORERPG and not 5e.

Chung

Moon Wizard
October 5th, 2015, 23:28
OK, this is a strange one that I'm not sure why it hasn't come up before, since it has apparently been around since before I joined the team.

The issue is that white space is being collapsed when reading the XML data from the database, and you have double white space in the image files beginning with "A3C0# -<double space><map name>.jpg". It is being written out correctly, but being collapsed when read in. The result of this behavior is that FG believes that it's a different file every time it loads, deletes the old database node, and creates a new one. So, it works until you save and reload.

The workaround is to remove the double space for now, while I investigate how to keep this from being an issue long term.

Regards,
JPG

cychow
October 5th, 2015, 23:39
OH! well thanks! I'll try that. I'll underscore the whitespaces from now on.

Chung

damned
October 6th, 2015, 05:51
You can use the spaces - but not 2 next to each other.
Personally Im old school and hate using spaces and other special characters in filenames - so i keep the filenames following standard naming conventions but change the name in FG to what I want it to display as (Id still avoid 2 consecutive spaces though just in case).

cychow
October 6th, 2015, 12:25
You can change the name itself when it lists the files in the image window?

Chung

damned
October 6th, 2015, 12:37
Right Click the Image in the Images Window... choose Edit and your away!

cychow
October 6th, 2015, 13:24
OH NICE! Right on!!

Nylanfs
October 6th, 2015, 18:15
Also useful for mid direction to name imaged that you have preloaded to the players so they don't a heads up on your plans.