PDA

View Full Version : PFS #6-04: Beacon Below (7-11/lower, NORMAL, 1XP/2PP, Scarab Sages/Dark Archive)

HoloGnome
October 3rd, 2015, 14:27
Game On! See the Calendar (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1641) for scenario details. I would like to run this one at subtier 7-8.

This scenario contributes to the storylines of Scarab Sages and Dark Archive.

xazil
October 3rd, 2015, 14:34
Nice, have a couple of options. Sorcerer Trapsmith 8 or Negative Channel Cleric 9 :)

cmdisc
October 3rd, 2015, 15:18
I will check my calendar, but if I can make it, the only option I can bring to this is a Positive Channel Cleric - 7.

bigboom
October 3rd, 2015, 15:43
I'm up for it, but this will be my first Pathfinder game, ever. If that's OK, I'll go with a pregen, and happy to run any class... I'll wait to see if there are any obvious gaps to fill as more people sign up!

cmdisc
October 3rd, 2015, 17:42
I spoke with the Senior Schedule Manager (aka the wife) and the day and time you posted looks good. So I'm in with my 7th level healing/buffing cleric. I'll get her cleaned up and posted soon for you.

HoloGnome
October 3rd, 2015, 19:13
Hi bigboom - happy to have you aboard. Have you played D&D 3.5 ( or other RPGs since no pathfinder )and have you used Fantasy Grounds before? Also, do you have a Pathfinder Society ID? If not, register at paizo.com and create your 1st character. Also, the Guild Guide below gives a good outline of Pathfinder Society play.

Paizo Account Sign-Up (https://secure.paizo.com/paizo/account)
Pathfinder Society Roleplaying Guild Guide (https://paizo.com/products/btpy84k4?Pathfinder-Society-Roleplaying-Guild-Guide)
YouTube FG Pathfinder Tutorials (https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fantasy+grounds+pathfinder)
Check out Archives of Nethys (https://www.archivesofnethys.com) (all PFS legal entries are marked with a silver medallion)
d20pfsrd.com is another great reference for all things Pathfinder (https://www.d20pfsrd.com)

cmdisc - great! Don't forget to sign up on the calendar.

I hope to use this game as a high-tier CON warm-up/practice. The target is going to be 5 hrs. or less at sub-tier 7-8.

Lord Kavos
October 3rd, 2015, 21:11
Woohoo! a night game for me...

Im in - I have Julius, my arcane trickster (9th) or Kayliss, my dominatrix cleric (8th) to play...would prefer to play Julius, as long as he doesnt bump up the tier...

HoloGnome
October 3rd, 2015, 21:35
Looks good everyone. Pregens are fine. LK - yeah - you can use dive bar gig mode. :D It doesn't look like tier will be a problem.

Be sure to confirm the time.

Lord Kavos
October 4th, 2015, 01:59
sorry guys,

Just discovered Ive already played this one - and until i get enough GM points I dont have any replays left...:(

Lord Kavos
October 4th, 2015, 02:02
mind you I will say that this was a game i played in person, with probably the worst PFS GM I have ever had, the adventure looked like it had plenty of promise, but the GM made it terrible (not saying you will make it terrible Holo - I would gladly play with you to restore my faith in this adventure if i had a replay left)...

HoloGnome
October 4th, 2015, 02:28
Haha - no worries. I guess I could see how there could be some issues. I have run this one in CORE. Upper tier games are challenging on both sides of the screen. Sorry to hear you've already done it. :(

HoloGnome
October 4th, 2015, 02:35
Well...if nobody else wants to play and we are stuck at 5, you can tag along for no credit if you like...or you could also observe if you'd like to hang out and see how it compares.

bigboom
October 4th, 2015, 12:42
Heya holognome!

Thanks for including me! I haven't played D&D since the very first edition red box waaaaay back in the day. And even then, it didn't last long (we couldn't keep a regular schedule as kids). But I've played various AD&D and D&D computer games over the years and I'm a fan of the "Drunks & Dragons" podcast, so I've listened to that group of folks play D&D. Therefore, I'm not completely out of touch with how the D&D mechanics work but I haven't had much first hand experience either.

I do indeed have a PFS ID and have already created a level 1 rogue per the PFS guide rules. I was originally going to use this character for FG Con 7 (one of cmdisc's and xaxil's sessions actually) but I've unfortunately had to back out due to real life conflicts that weekend. My ID number is: 194657. I've also inputted this character into my FG locally and exported it to XML, so I'm familiar with that process.

And yes, I've used FG before but mostly for Savage Worlds games. So I'm familiar with using FG but not any specific Pathfinder nuances, if any.

I'll check out the links you included. Thanks for that!

For this specific scenario, I assume I'd have to use a pregen, right? I cannot create a character from scratch and level it up to 7 for this scenario, correct? If this assumption is correct, then I'll just go with one of the pregens available from the Paizo site: https://paizo.com/products/btpy9a64

cmdisc
October 4th, 2015, 13:12
Nice to see you can make this one, BB. Sorry that your plans changed for the CON.

Yeah, in a nutshell, PFS is about having characters that you run through a 5-hour one-shot adventure and get a Chronicle for him that tracks your XP, Gold, and various awards. You start them at 1st and register them with the PFS site so they have a number that can track them. Then as games open up, you take them and your latest Chronicle (or however many the GM wants to see) and run them through a game. The GM uses the Chronicles to verify that your character really has what you're saying they have. It helps to keep us honest that way. :)

Then over time you just go from table to table with new GMs and new Players, eventually leveling up your character. Every 3 XP they gain a level. Scenarios usually offer 1XP for the session while Sanctioned Modules generally offer 3XP. It's a good arrangement for those of us that have schedules that don't allow for regular get-togethers, because we can hop into and out of games as our time allows.

HoloGnome
October 4th, 2015, 17:12
Yes - all of that...and...you have 2 options with pregen credit. You can either save it for the rainy day when your character eventually reaches 7th level (18XP). Or, you can apply the chronicle to your 1st level character with the gold reduced to 500gp (or 1398 for a sanctioned module). When that character reaches the minimum level of the scenario sub-tier (7th in this case, since we are running at 7-8), he/she will have access to boons and items on the chronicle.

Otherwise, all of the rest sounds great. There will be several people playing pregens in this game. So, all of you can collectively discuss which combination of pregens might be best.

Of all the things that you could possibly know about Pathfinder (and there are many), I suggest the following basic categories:
1. Read through the guide to understand the basic Pathfinder Society landscape
2. Review actions/combat, for example Combat (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat). Simplified Summary (https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/16726/what-can-i-do-in-one-round)
3. Once you select a pregen, carefully review all of its capabilities and feats (look them up). As a first-time player, I would suggest using a class that is easier to play - maybe fighter (multiple attacks) or barbarian (multiple attacks & rage). We may have to create the pregen XML, depending on which one you select, but I think there are ones for Amiri and Valeros. For example, if you were to select Amiri the Barbarian, you would want to understand how rage works.
4. Maybe watch a YouTube/FG Pathfinder Quick Tutorial video or two. Here is an FG sample for Combat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHRBeO6lUWo) (somewhat detailed video intro covering a number of issues). You already understand things like character xmls, targeting, the combat tracker, party sheet, etc.
5. If you still feel motivated, review Pathfinder Conditions (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions) so that you understand the impact of various things your character may experience. Common ones are things like Flat-Footed, Prone, Dying (although hopefully not dead), Disabled, Staggered, Sickened, Grappled, Unconscious, Stable, etc.
6. As bonus material, review Pathfinder effects, bonus types, and how they works and stack (or don't stack) in Fantasy Grounds.

You sound like you will have no trouble, but even if you do, don't worry about it. There will be experienced people around you to help with rules, gameplay and fantasy grounds issues. It should be a fun game for all concerned.

A note on gold for your new 1st-level character: Starting gold is 150gp. If you apply the chronicle (500gp), you will have a total of 650gp to equip your character. Your character will also have 1XP/2PP and can spend the prestige per the Guide (linked above). The first prestige purchase in Pathfinder Society is usually a Wand of Cure Light wounds (50 charges) for 2PP. Each player should provide for their own healing and hand their wand to a cleric or other divine caster at the start of the adventure (if they can't use it themselves).

bigboom
October 4th, 2015, 17:30
Very cool, thanks for all the info guys! I'll go ahead and read through what I can as the week progresses. And thanks a ton for the links!

As for class, it appears we already have:
- support cleric
- sorcerer/trapsmith
- kineticist

It seems to me the group can use a melee-based character, so I was thinking of going with either the pregen swashbuckler or fighter. I like the swashbuckler concept a tad more but perhaps the fighter would be simpler, considering this is my first stab at Pathfinder. Any advice there, anyone?

Holognome, do you already have the XML for either of those pregens? If not, I'll be happy to prepare it once I've confirmed which class to play.

HoloGnome
October 4th, 2015, 22:13
Attached are pregens for Amiri/7 (barbarian) or Jirelle/7 (swashbuckler) - both are great. (I don't have Valeros/7 - Fighter.)

Amiri hits hard; Jirelle has better to-hit bonuses and a human bane rapier.
Both have multiple attacks (full-round action).
Amiri has better Fortitude saves; Jirelle has better Reflex and Will saves.
Amiri has barbarian/rage abilities; Jirelle has swashbuckler/panache abilities.
Amiri has STR 20; Jirelle has DEX 20.
Amiri is AC20/75 hit points; Jirelle is AC26/60 hit points and also 16 Charisma, but diplomacy is not a class skill for either one.
Both are +10 on Intimidate.

You will likely have fun with either one.

mmoplayer79
October 6th, 2015, 04:10
Hi. New to Pathfinder, just downloaded and installed Fantasy Grounds free, currently researching/signing up for Paizo, Pathfinder Society, etc, etc. I am RPG addict for years having played games like Neverwinter Nights and Baldurs Gate as well as too many MMORPGs to count. I have played only a few D&D sessions a long time ago (very casual with friends and idk what edition). I miss the personal touch and creative spark that I might find in tabletops like D&D, too many MMORPGs are shallow and get really old fast. I am going to continue trying to familiarize myself with pathfinder, signing up at paizo, and stuff too. In the meantime, if anyone would be willing to show me around Fantasy Realms or teach me more about pathfinder and playing games like I might find via the society, that would be cool. I will be downloading and installing Teamspeak, too, so I will have voice chat ability when playing.
I would like to begin play here and hope to even make this game, HoloGnome, if you'd welcome a total newb. I would be playing a pregen (if allowed) - Lvl 1, Gnome, Rogue (I hope to multi-class with sorcerer later on to be arcane trickster/spell thief type), named Kami Hiromi.
Please reply asap and tell me whether you might consider allowing me in game. Thanks :)

mmoplayer79
October 6th, 2015, 04:11
oops, see, i'm such a newb that idk if i used the term pregen right. lol :)

bigboom
October 6th, 2015, 19:36
Holognome, I'll go with the swashbuckler pregen and have updated my calendar entry accordingly. Since you already have the Jirelle XML, I assume you don't need me to do any FG inputting for that character. Thanks!!

HoloGnome
October 6th, 2015, 20:13
mmoplayer79 and naughtydread - this session is full and I don't expect any issues at this point, but if you want to sign up in case someone drops, that's fine. You're also welcome as silent lurkers if you're curious about how gameplay goes.

bigboom - OK - sounds good. Yes - no data entry required :) , but you should read up on Jirelle and load the xml locally to make sure you understand all of her abilities and effects, etc.

mmoplayer79
October 8th, 2015, 02:51
cool :) sounds good. honestly, i haven't even finished reading through the Pathfinder Society Guild Guide or set up my preferred character yet anyway. I will do those things and soon find another game - hope to find one aimed more at newbs like myself - to play. Thanks for the respectful reply and for the invite to watch game. I will try and get myself all set and ready to play if you want to sign me up as a wildcard in case of a no show or something. Otherwise, I might "lurk" silently to familiarize myself more with the game. I hope all goes well and you guys have a lot of fun playing. Be well :)

HoloGnome
October 8th, 2015, 03:25
mmo - sure - no problem - and to be honest, if you're new to RPG & PFS, you probably don't want your first game to be a subtier 7-8. ;) Check out the PFS subtier 1-5 games at FGCON for the weekend of the 16th.

mmoplayer79
October 8th, 2015, 03:29
will do, tyvm :)

cmdisc
October 8th, 2015, 08:16
Here is my Support Cleric-7.

HoloGnome
October 8th, 2015, 17:26
Scarlett Johansson or Nicole Kidman...in armor. Take your pick.

HoloGnome
October 8th, 2015, 17:57
OK - I have Seelah, Jirelle, Janek, and Katerine loaded. Yoon is on the way for Axit. So, we have:

Seelah - Paladin/7
Jirelle - Swashbuckler/7
Janek - Sorcerer/7, Field Agent/1
Katerine - Cleric/7
Yoon - Pyrokineticist/7

Rhia - What pregen would you like? The party has covers the divine, arcane and occult and has 2 specialized fighter types.

Here are the choices for pregens that are already built - I won't have time before Sat. to build a new Merisiel/Rogue pregen/7 for you:
- Seoni/7 - Sorcerer
- Kyra/7 - Cleric
- Amiri/7 Barbarian

If you want to play a caster, you've got arcane and divine choices. If you want to play a fighter, you've got Amiri the Basher.

All are good choices.

HoloGnome
October 8th, 2015, 19:06
I have not had any response from Rhia - PMs, etc. So, we may need an alternate. If anyone else would like to sign up, the spot is yours if I do not hear from Rhia by later today. Otherwise, you are the alternate in case someone else needs to drop. Thx!

Rhia
October 8th, 2015, 20:16
Just found out my character isn't high enough so would or be OK to use the pregen Jirelle please? :)

Rhia
October 8th, 2015, 20:19
Also sorry for the late reply ive been talking to an old gm about getting my characters sheet :( still haven't got it but found our she's level 4 :(

HoloGnome
October 8th, 2015, 21:49
Hi Rhia - 4th level won't work in a tier 7-11 adventure. Also, bigboom is going to play Jirelle.

The others Level 7 pregens that are available (as far as I know) are:

- Seoni/7 - Sorcerer
- Kyra/7 - Cleric
- Amiri/7 Barbarian

bigboom
October 8th, 2015, 21:58
I'm currently signed up to play Jirelle, but if Rhia would like to play her, I'm totally OK with switching to some other pregen.

I thought we had a rogue in the party already, but it appears not. So I can pick up Merisiel. And holognome, I can go ahead and put together the xml since you don't have time. What do you think?

xazil
October 8th, 2015, 22:03
Janek covers the trap finding part things for the party. Multiple Pregens of the same one can be brought in also I believe. <Insert other brother Darrel joke here.>

HoloGnome
October 8th, 2015, 22:12
Hmm...well...I guess if Rhia wants to play another Jirelle, we could just change the name, I guess, but it looks like Rhia has withdrawn. Rhia - if you want to play Jirelle, OK (or any other pregen/7).

HoloGnome
October 8th, 2015, 22:38
Bigboom - didn't see your post before. If you would like to build Merisiel/7, that would be a great addition to the pregen pool. But, it looks like Rhia has dropped.

bigboom
October 9th, 2015, 11:02
Alrighty, I'll stick with Jirelle for now unless we have someone else joining, in which case I'm still okay with switching to a different pregen based on what the group needs.

And here are the XMLs for Merisiel. I'm pretty sure I've got them built correctly. The only thing I know I haven't got in there are some of the actions. I don't know how to set up some actions as "spells." For example, setting up sneak attack, acid flask, or tanglefoot bag as an action.

Also, some of the item descriptions are probably not the best because I don't have library modules for them nor descriptions in a PDF rulebook to copy and paste, so I had to lift them as best I could from the PFS PRD. (https://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/) For example, the potion of cure light wounds description is actually the description from the cure light wounds spell. I couldn't find a proper description for the potion of cure light wounds to input.

Do go ahead and modify these XMLs as you see fit!

tahl_liadon
October 9th, 2015, 15:34
joining if there is a slot open...

pc stats and token/portrait files attached.

HoloGnome
October 9th, 2015, 19:05
Hi Tahl -

There is room and you're in! :) However, your character upload is no good. Please look over the HeroLab PC Import Tutorial (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?15531-Herolab-to-FG-PC-Import-Tutorial) and be sure to check your xml in Fantasy Grounds to make sure it works before posting it here. Also, try a forum search on HeroLab - there are also other threads with useful info. :)

Are you new to the Fantasy Grounds client, or have you used it before?

HoloGnome
October 9th, 2015, 19:07
Bigboom - thanks - that a good start! It looks like you have all the basics in place. We won't need her for this game, but we can add the effects later. :)

HoloGnome
October 9th, 2015, 19:08
I ran this scenario in CORE 2 weeks ago (mission success) and it ran a tad long. So, I will be trying to shorten it to hit the 5 hr. max mark.

HoloGnome
October 11th, 2015, 17:40
This scenario ran very long - 7.5hrs. (even with speed-ups, such as expedited combat, where warranted). The party finished successfully (barely), but not without time frustrations.

GMs - if you want to run this one in the future, it is best to schedule it as 2 sessions to do it justice and account for general party composition issues and choices that might extend the game.

A small, experienced, well-rounded (skill+dps) party with no delays, rapid turns, and streamlined RP could probably complete this scenario in 5-6 hours. Otherwise, expect it to run into the timeframe of 2 sessions.

It is definitely a great scenario and very worthy of the extra time. Also, it has rich content for Scarab Sages.

HoloGnome
October 14th, 2015, 15:52
I have reported this scenario and all chronicles are done except tahl's. Tahl - I need your prior chronicle for ku'-kuru. Thx.