PDA

View Full Version : How to complete/use the 'health sheet calc'?

Alchemister
October 3rd, 2015, 12:20
Hi, just in the process of making characters for the first outing, and am not sure how the 'health sheet calc' should be filled in (and used). I would appreciate it if someone would be able to explain it for me. Example character = a 1st level Ranger. Appreciate it's probably obvious, but you all know how these things go!

Thanks

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2015, 12:40
You might find this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet) useful if you are creating your first character. See section 3.1 'Main Tab'

Alchemister
October 3rd, 2015, 22:53
Many thanks Zacchaeus, the resource has been a great help. What is the relevance of the 'stat' and '2nd' input tabs on the health sheet calc? I'm still not sure how these come into effect other than setting 'stat' to 'base' and 'misc' to the Con modifier. As previously, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2015, 23:13
The 2nd input caters for the possibility that some classes might have of adding the modifier for a second ability to their health calculation, not just CON. I don't think there is such a thing in 5e but I could be wrong :)

The 'base' box means that the base stat (in other words CON) is applied to hit point rolls. So if a character has a CON of 15 their bonus is 2. Every time they level up they will automatically get another 2 hit points from CON. Again the 'base' can be changed to any other stat to cater for the possibility that a race or class might not use CON as the base for their hp calculations. So the stat box will almost always read either base or CON.

The misc box is there to cater for such things as Dwarven Toughness which allows Dwarves to gain an extra 1 hit point per level. (This is currently bugged I think.) You should not put your CON bonus in there.

So, when creating a character you need do absolutely nothing to the Health Calc since Fantasy Grounds will automatically give a 1st level character his full hit point + CON bonus. UNLESS: You don't enter your ability scores BEFORE dragging in the class; in which case you will need to go in and alter the MAX hit points to add in the CON bonus. If you follow my suggested character creation method in that wiki page I linked you shouldn't need to go into health calc unless you are a dwarf.

Moon Wizard
October 4th, 2015, 02:25
For the health calc, that is specifically for the resting to spend a hit die roll to regain health. It is not related to the level up hit point roll.

The misc box is leftover from the 5E playtest in which either the dwarf or fighter had an ability which boosted their hit die resting heal roll. You never know when that power comes back in another form. ;)

Cheers,
JPG

Zacchaeus
October 4th, 2015, 12:23
For the health calc, that is specifically for the resting to spend a hit die roll to regain health. It is not related to the level up hit point roll.

The misc box is leftover from the 5E playtest in which either the dwarf or fighter had an ability which boosted their hit die resting heal roll. You never know when that power comes back in another form. ;)

Cheers,
JPG

I did not know this, I will amend the wiki accordingly.

So there isn't any way to automate the extra hit points per level of things like Dwarven Toughness?

Alchemister
October 4th, 2015, 12:28
Many thanks gents, that's clarified everything for me. Fantastic work by the way, the ruleset is a real joy to use, and the wiki is fine, fine work too.

Moon Wizard
October 4th, 2015, 22:06
Not right now, but keep eye out for next version. :)

JPG

Zacchaeus
October 4th, 2015, 22:55
Not right now, but keep eye out for next version. :)

JPG

You are such a tease :)