PDA

View Full Version : Druid wildshape attacks and effects

X-baby longshot
October 2nd, 2015, 20:23
I need some help with the druid I'm playing, I have read thru multiple forums and not been able to find a solution. My GM and I talked about building extra character sheets with that would have the correctly configured skills and abilities of the most common forms of beasts that I will want to shift in to for combat. I started with three forms Brown Bear, Giant Spider and Dire Wolf. I have realized that some of those forms have added effects with their attacks like the giant spider poison effect, but haven't figured out what the best way to deal with these effects are. Is there a way to add an effect to a melee attack so that it’s a one action or what is the best means to make all those effects work correctly? do i need to treat the poison of the spider or the dire wolfs trip effect as a spell/power and if so won't it be limited on number of times i can use the effect? I have tried to load the character forms I have generated in to my own server and pull the attacks of the NPC's from the combat bar straight on to the character sheet but it appears that will not work, and when you open the NPC files the attacks listed don't have the shield symbol to allow you to drag and drop. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Zacchaeus
October 2nd, 2015, 22:40
You will likely find this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?24754-Druid-Wild-Shape&highlight=Druid+Wild+Shape) to be most helpful.

X-baby longshot
October 3rd, 2015, 10:00
I have read that forum and its recommendation to use NPC’s; however I have also read a few other forums that suggest going with Character sheets instead if you will be adjusting your level often. Either way doesn't matter to me. However the current direction I have from the GM is to use character sheets. That said the answer to my first question remains unanswered, but brings to mind a few more question. Is there a way to build the NPC sheets on my server and load them on to the GM's server or am I forced to build everything with the GM server up? I don't see any blue down load file capabilities on the NPC tab so I am guessing not, but perhaps there is a way by copying a file but I wouldn't pretend to know how. The second question I have is how do i control the NPC, is it from the NPC sheet or off the combat tracker? I ask because i do not see any attack or damage roll dice on the NPC tab. If given control of the NPC by means of the combat tracker does that mean i have the same view of the tracker as the GM would as a player or is just for the NPC that i can see the added options?

Zacchaeus
October 3rd, 2015, 12:32
Sorry I misread the point of your original post. The post I referred you to discussed two primary methods, either create Player Characters for each of the beasties you are going to turn into or the DM drags and drops the relevant NPC's onto your Druids portrait. There is a third method which tries to just use the PC sheet and create effects - but that is, well let's just say I don't recommend it.

There are pros and cons to each of the methods described. If you create character sheets then obviously this is quite a lot of work and if you go the whole hog and prepare sheets for every possible animal it's an even greater amount of work. The character will also have to juggle with a number of different character sheets and that could lead to errors. The benefit of this method is that you create everything that you need onto one sheet. So you create a character with the Druids own INT, WIS and CHA but with the STR, DEX and CON of the animal. You also get the correct saving throws, can build the correct attacks and damage rolls and also create effects which the Druid might have that carry over onto the beastie he transforms into. There are many other benefits.

The second method of drag/dropping is also good but there are (in my opinion) more drawbacks that there are benefits. Obviously the beastie has the correct STR, DEX and CON for example but has the incorrect INT, WIS and CHA. this necessitates having two sheets up and making sure the correct sheet is used for whichever throw is needed. There are other drawbacks too, but the main benefit is simplicity from the point of view of not having to spend a lot of time creating characters.

Ok, so to answer your questions. If I'm reading your first post correctly your question is how do you build attacks on a PC sheet for say a spiders bite. The answer is that you create a weapon in the actions tab as normal, call it bite and give it damage dice as normal. The attack and damage rolls should feed correctly off of the Spiders STR and DEX scores. If they don't adjust that in the weapon's misc modifier box. For the poison part you'll need to create an effect - a cast to handle the saving throw and poison damage if the throw is failed. The same principles apply to any creature. Once you have set up all these attacks you use them from the actions tab just as you would normally.

The second question you have is regarding the character creation your self. You can do this on your own computer and I believe that in all versions of the software (even the Demo version) you can export the character once it is complete. (I can't test this since I don't have the trial version). Once you have done that you can then import the character into any campaign from the join screen click on the blue arrow and then select the character. Once in the game you can also click on the PCs icon and import from there too.

Your next question is regarding using an NPC sheet to make attacks etc. If we take a giant spider as an example mouse over the description of the 'Bite' action and you will see that the attack, damage, saving throw and poison all light up. These you can use either by double clicking or drag/dropping to make attacks, force saves and place effects onto the target. Obviously for all of this to work properly the NPC must be on the Combat Tracker. Your view of the Combat Tracker doesn't change.

I've included a screen shot below to illustrate what I've said.