PDA

View Full Version : Everything just got deleted

Daemini
October 2nd, 2015, 04:49
So I was creating my own adventure, and I have a game tomorrow, so I go into FG and check to see if my players characters are good. Nothing is there. Only the images. My whole story I wrote, NPCs I created and Items/Parcels are completely missing. Someone please tell me there is a fix to my long 12+ hours of work. Thanks in advance.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2015, 04:56
First question: Are you using any backup/synch software (Dropbox, Google Drive, Sky Drive, etc.) on your FG data directories?

When you first launch Fantasy Grounds - what does the version number in the top right say? v3.1.2, v3.1.2 Ultimate or v3.1.2 free?

Assuming it doesn't say v3.1.2 Free, open up your FG App Data directory (press the folder icon in the top right, just above the version number mentioned above) and go to the campaigns directory. Open the directory with the name of your campaign and see if there are any db.backup.XXXXXX.xml files (where XXXXXX is a number). If so, is the size of this file/files larger than the current db.xml file? If so, make a backup of the whole campaign directory (in case messing around breaks things) and try copying the largest/most recent db.backup file to db.xml. Then load up your campaign.

Daemini
October 2nd, 2015, 05:02
First question: Are you using any backup/synch software (Dropbox, Google Drive, Sky Drive, etc.) on your FG data directories?
Didn't know I needed too, thought it saved on FG.

When you first launch Fantasy Grounds - what does the version number in the top right say? v3.1.2, v3.1.2 Ultimate or v3.1.2 free?
v.3.1.2 ULTIMATE

Assuming it doesn't say v3.1.2 Free, open up your FG App Data directory (press the folder icon in the top right, just above the version number mentioned above) and go to the campaigns directory. Open the directory with the name of your campaign and see if there are any db.backup.XXXXXX.xml files (where XXXXXX is a number). If so, is the size of this file/files larger than the current db.xml file? If so, make a backup of the whole campaign directory (in case messing around breaks things) and try copying the largest/most recent db.backup file to db.xml. Then load up your campaign.
there are 2, db.backup.1443757187 (204 kb) and db.backup.1443757232 (4 kb) I'm not very tech savvy, I dont know how to make backups.

Daemini
October 2nd, 2015, 05:04
The db.xml file is only 4 kb

The most recent is the smaller file, 4 kb (10/1/2015) the 204 kb is (9/30/2015)

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2015, 05:10
Didn't know I needed too, thought it saved on FG.
You shouldn't be using any backup/sync software. The reason I asked is that people have reported saving/database corruption using sync services. If you're not using anything like that it's good.

Was there any db.backup.... files in your campaign directory?

Daemini
October 2nd, 2015, 05:11
Yes, like I said above, there are 2, db.backup.1443757187 (204 kb) and db.backup.1443757232 (4 kb)

Daemini
October 2nd, 2015, 05:12
I made a back up of the campaign, I dont know how to copy the largest to the db.xml file.

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2015, 05:22
I made a back up of the campaign, I dont know how to copy the largest to the db.xml file.
Without FG running:

After you've made a complete backup of the campaign: Delete db.xml then rename db.backup.1443757187.xml to db.xml.

Start UP FG and load your campaign that you've modified.

Daemini
October 2nd, 2015, 05:30
Oh man, it worked!!! Thank you so much!! Is there anything I need to do when I get ready to exit? I know there is a slash command /save. Does that save my work? Cause I never used it before. Thank you again!!

Trenloe
October 2nd, 2015, 05:38
You shouldn't need to make a save - this should have been happening automatically, FG should save every 5 minutes or so and also when you exit the application. A little more info on db.backup files here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?25195-Blank-db-xml-file-and-database-backup-was-an-older-version-(&p=222114&viewfull=1#post222114

Basically, it looks like FG thought there was an unexpected shutdown. I'd recommend checking that the db.xml file has been updated (look a the file size and the timestamp) before you exit FG and if it hasn't been updated in the last 5-10 minutes then use /save and see if that saves.

Glad you got your data back. :)

damned
October 2nd, 2015, 05:39
FG saves approx every 5mins and on exit. You can do /save in the chat window if you like.
Something has glitched on your system, either with FG or something else and caused this to happen.

What I do before or after a game or prep session is zip up the campaign folder and date stamp it (eg rename it from DeceiptOfAikarn.zip to DeceiptOfAikarn.20151002.zip) and then I move that into my dropbox/onedrive folder.

Nylanfs
October 2nd, 2015, 12:25
Wasn't there an issue somebody had lately that if they didn't use the radial dial to exit it didn't save correctly? I vaguely recall something like this.

Moon Wizard
October 2nd, 2015, 13:13
I rarely use the radial menu to exit. It's not an issue on Windows, not sure on Mac.

Regards,
JPG